OT Giannis

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Rastapopoulos, May 16, 2020.

1. Rastapopoulos

Rastapopoulos Well-Known Member

Ballin'
    Everyone thinks the Warriors have the assets to do better - but let's see it. Their main asset will be this year's draft pick, but in a historically weak-at-the-top draft?

2. Rastapopoulos

Ballin'
    There's no way CJ isn't an all-star in the East. And the Sixers and he are a match made in heaven. But they'd offer Tobias Harris and I'd say no. (Although if they added Thybulle I'd be at least tempted.)

3. Chris Craig

Chris Craig (Blazersland) I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

Right...Draymond? Wiggins? A couple 1sts? Beyond that they have nothing unless they want to part ways with Thompson. Still eh

4. Chris Craig

Chris Craig (Blazersland) I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

They will want more than Joel Embiid...1sts from both Portland and Philly? A couple 1sts from Portland? Not sure the Bucks are sold still

Orion Bailey likes this.
  5. Minstrel

Minstrel Top Of The Pops Global Moderator

User Interface Designer
    Draymond Green and Minnesota's first-round pick next year in a supposedly loaded draft are probably their top assets in a Giannis deal. Their pick in this draft is just their third best asset. All three, at least, would have to be involved.

6. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

Its more likely that we get LeBron in the next 3 years than it is that we get Giannis, IMO.

Orion Bailey and Chris Craig like this.
  7. PDXFonz

PDXFonz I’m listening

Say word

That would be a tragedy!

8. Rastapopoulos

Ballin'
    Is Draymond an asset? I imagine his value took a SERIOUS hit this year as he decided to stop trying on a bad team. Plus he's old and only useful when surrounded by stars. Plus you're assuming Minny's pick is going to be a lottery pick, which, I admit, is usually safe, but... Maybe Minny should offer KAT for Antetokounmpo. He'd almost certainly leave after a year, but it would free them from the mediocrity KAT seems to keep them in.

9. Rastapopoulos

Ballin'
    Remember, in this scenario they're over a barrel - they would only be trading Giannis because they know they can't keep him, and the other team would know they were taking a risk. Embiid is WAY better than Demar DeRozan.

10. Rastapopoulos

Ballin'
    Wiggins - HAH. He's not an asset.

Chris Craig likes this.
  11. Minstrel

User Interface Designer
    I think he's still an asset to a team that expects to be good. I saw someone describe him perfectly--he's a ceiling raiser, not a floor raiser. If you're a bad team, he probably won't make you better. But if you're a good or really good team, he can elevate you quite a bit. If Milwaukee still thinks they can compete after a Giannis trade, I think Green still qualifies as an asset to them.

Now, if Minnesota offered KAT, I don't think Golden State could compete. But I don't think very many teams will offer a lot for a player one year from free agency. Golden State can because they can be confident in re-signing him, due to his chemistry with Curry.

12. Chris Craig

Would Philly part with him for CJ and Nurk?

13. Rastapopoulos

Ballin'
    Probably not, although the only reason I suggest it is because there are rumblings that Simmons and Embiid don't work together. But the simple route for them to go in this scenario is to swap Simmons for Giannis... (Although that would also mean pairing two players who aren't great outside shooters.)

14. Rastapopoulos

Ballin'
    Substitute "Portland" for "Golden State" and "Dame" for "Curry".

I still think that Draymond has seriously tanked his value this past season. "Ceiling raiser" or not, he's also a royal pain in the ass (as I'm sure Kerr would privately admit) whom I'm sure a lot of people around the league think drove KD away. Also he gets fat and lazy when unmotivated. If you're trading away a superstar, he's not the guy you want in return.

Golden State may expect to be able to re-sign Giannis, but Milwaukee doesn't give a shit about that and will be out for the best deal, and I don't think Golden State can offer it.

15. Rastapopoulos

Ballin'
    You mean when LeBron's kids graduate from school and he wants to move closer to Nike, where he expects to be inserted as an executive?

Chris Craig likes this.
  16. Chris Craig

Milwaukee is not swapping Giannis for Simmons

17. BigGameDamian

BigGameDamian Well-Known Member

18. Chris Craig

We could wait to sign Whiteside because we have his bird rights...we would be in the repeater though. I would do it. Milwaukee wouldn't.

19. Minstrel

User Interface Designer
    I was referring to Giannis and Curry actually talking up their relationship--I haven't seen that between Giannis and Dame, though I could have missed it.

That's certainly possible. But I think the fact that the last time we saw him competitive, meaningful games (last year's playoffs), he was fantastic will preserve most of his value in GM's minds.

Oh, absolutely Milwaukee doesn't care if the trade partner can or can't sign him--my point is that the trade partner will care, and that will affect the best deals that they'll offer. A team with little optimism that they can re-sign him isn't going to offer the moon for a one year (or half-season if he's traded at the next mid-season trade deadline) rental. So if the pool of teams willing to offer a lot is small, that's Golden State's best chance to win the bidding with something like Green, their 2020 draft pick, Minnesota's 2021 draft pick and perhaps some other asset (their own 2022 draft pick, maybe, or Eric Paschall).

20. tykendo

tykendo Don't Tread On PDX

HELL NO!