Giants beat Rangers 4-1 in World Series rematch

Discussion in 'American League West' started by truebluefan, Mar 8, 2011.

1. truebluefan

truebluefan Administrator Staff Member Administrator

"The World Series rematch ended up looking a lot like the World Series.

The Rangers simply couldn't stop the Giants when it mattered the most.

On Monday, right-hander Tommy Hunter gave up two big-two out hits in the fifth inning that produced all four of the Giants runs. He got the first two outs of the inning, then allowed a two-run single to Cody Ross on a high 2-and-2 cutter.

It echoed the problems Hunter had during the regular and postseason and perhaps helps explain why the Rangers did not guarantee him a job at the start of spring. He struggled to end innings at key moments. He allowed opponents a .206 batting average with two strikes, which ranked 54th among 69 AL pitchers who faced at least 200 batters with two strikes. During the postseason, when he failed to make it through five innings in any of his three starts, he allowed opponents six hits in 16 two-out at-bats (.375) batting average.

"If they had concerns after the last postseason, I guess this will only raise them," Hunter said. "I'm going to throw strikes and let them put the ball in play. It doesn't matter who I'm facing. I just need to keep the ball down." "

Read more: http://rangersblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2011/03/october-again-giants-beat-rang.html