Giants frontrunners to land Brad Penny

Discussion in 'San Francisco Giants' started by Run BJM, Aug 31, 2009.

1. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/10005692/Sources:-Giants-would-be-favorites-to-land-Penny

Will a return to the NL and pitching at AT&T get him even close to being the pitcher he was just a few years ago? He seems pretty far gone from being that Dodgers' ace but he'll only be the 5th starter in SF so its low-risk and potentially high reward. I know hes been bad in Boston but can anyone comment on whether hes got the same type of stuff he had with the Dodgers?

Hes definitely an upgrade over Joe Martinez or whoever else we would run out as a 5th starter. We were already believed to have maybe the nastiest pitching staff in the league but consider the recent developments here; Zito is 4-2 with a 1.92 ERA since the all star break. Jonathan Sanchez is putting it all together, hes 3-2 with a 3.59 ERA from our 4th slot in the rotation since the break. Randy Johnson claims he'll be good to come back probably as a reliever at the end of the season and through the playoffs should we make the playoffs. Now Brad Penny could come aboard to shore up the back end of the rotation (and probably add even more depth in our bullpen should we make the POs). This move also moves Joe Martinez to the pen. September call-ups begin tomorrow. Add all of this to the elite starters Lincecum and Cain plus our elite bullpen trio of Brian Wilson, Jeremy Affeldt, and Sergio Romo and we're looking pretty scary. Almost forgot that we allegedly claimed Hoffman. Most analysts say we likely won't land him and I agree but I think our chances go up a little bit given the relationship that he and Bochy have from their days in SD. If we make the playoffs opposing teams are looking at non-stop quality stuff with very little let up.

Too bad we can't score a godamn run to save our lives though LOL.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2009
  2. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

He's worth a shot I guess. I thought the Giants were out of the wildcard race just a week ago and never expected them to sweep the Rockies. Anything to get SF back in the post season. I guess having an experienced vet won't hurt in the locker room. It could be some awkward moments though with him and Zito. Both dated Alyssa Milano LOL.

3. Run BJM

Now on ESPN:
    http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4434942

4. Run BJM

Penny mowed down the Phillies in Philly last night. It was the first time this season that the Phillies got no extra base hits at home this year and only the second time they got shut out at home this year. He looked pretty money, fastball was still 95+ and all his pitches were working. Apparently our backup catcher (hes been the starter the last week) Eli Whiteside watched a shit load of game tape on Penny and made a completely new pitching approach for him that Penny liked. Fewer fastballs and more off-speed stuff earlier in the count. Worked out pretty well and Penny said after that he called as good a game as anyone in Penny's career for him. Whiteside also called Jonathan Sanchez' no-hitter IIRC.

This signing is looking fuckin brilliant though. If Penny keeps it up it we'll have a major advantage down the stretch. Hes a rental player for us since we've already got our 1-4 pitchers (Timmy, Cain, Zito, Sanchez) set and in team control for next season. Bumgarner oughta be up in the majors next year and if Randy Johnson comes back I reckon he'll stay in the Bay Area. Penny is out of our price range for a 5th starter and we've got some guys lined up to take that role next season so its not skin off of our back to ride Penny for everything hes got until the season ends. If our 5th starter can go 7-8 innings it'll be a life saver for our bullpen, especially so with Penny-Lincecum-Cain one after the other.

5. 44Thrilla

44Thrilla cuatro cuatro

Figures.

6. Shapecity

So far so good, too bad the Rockies won again. We'll have to go for another sweep when we face them again.

7. WarriorFan

WarriorFan Active Member

Whiteside really calls a great game. I don't have stats in front of me but I guess that he's only caught about 25% of the games and I think he's caught a majority of the shutouts. Is there any way to find stats like that, or catcher ERA?

8. Run BJM

That series will be at AT&T and right now we're scheduled to have Lincecum, Zito, and Cain pitch again.

9. WarriorFan

WarriorFan Active Member

By my count it looks like Whiteside's caught 26 games and 5 have been shutouts. That's pretty sick

10. Run BJM

Hes an ace backup catcher IMO. Calls absolutely great games (remember when Zito would only pitch to Whiteside?) which is his saving grace. Hes not great at blocking balls and throwing guys out but hes decent and has been throwing guys out a lot lately. His hitting numbers blow but he does seem to be able to get big hits in the clutch.

11. Shapecity

He should call the games from the bench. Haha.

12. jason bourne

jason bourne JBB JustBBall Member

Law enforcement
    What's the sign for hit the dam ball?