Gil versus DeShawn

Discussion in 'Washington Wizards' started by durvasa, Feb 2, 2007.

1. Ming637

Ming637 BBW Banned

<div class="quote_poster">TheHighness Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">He left 3 million on the table to play for a team that has 3 more wins and he's happy I highly doubt that. He opted out in hopes to resign with Orlando for a few more million (5-6/yrs range) He wouldn't drop his asking price so Orlando signed Keith Bogans to replace him after that his only option was to sign for the minimum and hope he can raise his stock and get a bigger contract next year. To say that he's happy with that would be foolish not only is he making far less money but his role isn't as big as it was with Orlando.</div>

Are you serious?

The only reason they signed Deshawn Stevenson was so they can allow Jared Jeffries to go and giving him up was a sizeable loss for the team on defense. He wasn't much of an offensive player, but he started because of his size, he hustled, and was a big man on the boards.

Deshawn quickly came in and provided a shooting touch for the Wizards and provides defense, which Arenas doesn't bring often. Also, how can you not say he's happy? He's not miserable at all, I've been reading Ivan Carter (Wizards beat writer) and he's been writing about how the locker room always gets along and talked about Deshawn's status in DC early in the season and how glad he was to be here.

2. TheHighness

TheHighness JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Will637 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Are you serious?

The only reason they signed Deshawn Stevenson was so they can allow Jared Jeffries to go and giving him up was a sizeable loss for the team on defense. He wasn't much of an offensive player, but he started because of his size, he hustled, and was a big man on the boards.

Deshawn quickly came in and provided a shooting touch for the Wizards and provides defense, which Arenas doesn't bring often. Also, how can you not say he's happy? He's not miserable at all, I've been reading Ivan Carter (Wizards beat writer) and he's been writing about how the locker room always gets along and talked about Deshawn's status in DC early in the season and how glad he was to be here.</div>

I'm not saying Deshawn isn't happy bieng a Wizard but he was also very happy in Orlando, Him and Orlando's GM Otis Smith are really close even to this day they still are incontact and when Orlando decided not to give him what he was asking for (5-6 million) Otis was still giving him advice. But as far as him making 3 million dollars less than he was last year, having less of a role on the team I can just about promise you that if he could change opting out last offseason he would. The sole reason for him opting out last year was to make more money now he is making 3 million dollars less would you be happy with that I mean I'm sure he likes his teamates and his team in general but he liked Orlando when he opted out he said his number 1 choice was to resign with Orlando. You guys make it sound like he opted out just so he could go to Washington thats not the case, He was negociating an extension with Orlando even after Washington made him an Offer so clearly he wanted to play for Orlando this season and not Washington. IMO his Agent gave him some horrible advise (as far as opting out for more money) His Agent even said at the begining of the season that he think is Deshawn plays well enough this season he will get back the money that he is losing this season which is why he only signed for 1 year.

3. og15

og15 JBB *********

<div class="quote_poster">TheHighness Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">He left 3 million on the table to play for a team that has 3 more wins and he's happy I highly doubt that. He opted out in hopes to resign with Orlando for a few more million (5-6/yrs range) He wouldn't drop his asking price so Orlando signed Keith Bogans to replace him after that his only option was to sign for the minimum and hope he can raise his stock and get a bigger contract next year. To say that he's happy with that would be foolish not only is he making far less money but his role isn't as big as it was with Orlando.</div>
    Well, now it's two more wins, but in three less games, and before Jamison went down, it was more than that [​IMG]

4. TheHighness

TheHighness JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">og15 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Well, now it's two more wins, but in three less games, and before Jamison went down, it was more than that [​IMG]</div>

I'm not debating who the better team is I'm just trying to point out that he made a huge mistake by opting out of his contract that was going to pay him over 3 million for the sole reason of getting more money. I mean say you are making $15/hour would you take a job that is going to pay you $3/hour doing the same thing even say if the company is a little bit better (debatable) that is the equivilant to the pay cut he took this year:

3.5 million (Orlando) X 20% = $700,000 (Washington)

so basically he is making 1/5th of what he would of made and has a lesser role on the team.

5. hustler

hustler Revving up the Engine

That was funny, thanks for posting.

6. og15

og15 JBB *********

<div class="quote_poster">TheHighness Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">I'm not debating who the better team is I'm just trying to point out that he made a huge mistake by opting out of his contract that was going to pay him over 3 million for the sole reason of getting more money. I mean say you are making $15/hour would you take a job that is going to pay you $3/hour doing the same thing even say if the company is a little bit better (debatable) that is the equivilant to the pay cut he took this year:

3.5 million (Orlando) X 20% = $700,000 (Washington)

so basically he is making 1/5th of what he would of made and has a lesser role on the team.</div>
    Oh yea, he did, I remember we were laughing about it back in the summer, he wanted more money, then he didn't even get up to $1 million.