Give it up for The Big Uglies

Discussion in 'Oregon Ducks' started by Targus, Oct 22, 2010.

1. Targus

Targus Suspended

Keeping you safe. If I tell you more, you would b
    A team can have all the talent and speed at QB, RB and WR, but if they aren't given time or gaps - it's all for not.

Oregon is experienced and big on the OL. They returned nearly ever starter from last years Pac10 Champ team. It's time to recognize, who I believe, is the best OL in the nation.

69 Bo Thran 6-5, 300, Sr., 3V
    68 C.E. Kaiser 6-4, 295, Sr., 3V
    77 Carson York 6-5, 290, So., RS
    79 Mark Asper 6-7, 325, Jr., 3V
    54 Jordan Holmes 6-5, 285, Sr., 3V

These big uglies are the rudder that steer the ship. They are deceptive and usually don't drive block, but systematically maneuver block to open gaps for run plays. They pass block with incredible stamina and knowledge of defenses - as we saw Thomas camp in the pocket last night for extended periods of time.

This is a special group of guys. They don't get much credit in Oregon's fast scoring offense, but on occasion, focus on their blocking. They are the best in the game today.

2. Wheels

Wheels Is That A Challenge?!?!1! Staff Member Global Moderator

This line is killing it this season. I am a little scared that next year opening week on ESPN will look ugly much like BSU on national TV did last year with a new line. But hey I'm gonna enjoy the ride this year first :)

3. Ed O

Ed O Administrator Staff Member Administrator

The OL is critical, no question, and they've done a great job so far. Hope they can keep it up, especially in whatever big bowl game the Ducks make it to (facing LSU, for example, control of the trenches will be critical).

What does the depth look like? Are there blue-chippers that can step in for those three seniors after they're gone?

Ed O.

4. Targus

Targus Suspended

Good news, bad news. As Yoda said, "Always two there are."

We lose Kaiser, Thran and Holmes. York and Asper are back next year. Asper may be the best of the best on that line. He's 6'7" and 325. Total anchor. Well, that's the bad news. The good news is replacing the graduating seniors are player who have already seen major playing time this year.

61 Nick Cody 6-5, 275, So., RS
    74 Darrion Weems 6-5, 315, Jr., 2V
    70 Ramsen Golpashin 6-4, 285, Jr., 2V
    76 C. Carmichael 6-5, 305, So., 1V

It will hurt to lose the bigs we will, but I have a lot of confidence in the Oregon staff to recruit and develop talent as needed. Remember, Oregon won the Pac and went to the Rose Bowl with a relatively inexperienced OL last year.

5. Ed O

But there are no big-time OL recruits waiting in the wings, like there are at skill positions?

Do you think that Oregon's offense (with the speed and schemes) is more or less likely to draw 4-star guys on the OL?

Ed O.

6. MickZagger

MickZagger Well-Known Member

UPS
    There is.

A great run blocker from Arizona named Andre Yruretagoneya. I watched some film on him right after we signed him and he's very small for O-lineman, (typical of an UO O'lineman) but is mean and quick as it gets. He can run like crazy in the open field for blocks, which is key in a Kelly designed offense.

Nick Rowland another Arizona 4 star kid should be good as well. Also, another JC kid that went to the same JC as (the long forgotten) Masoli is signed on to play and is supposed to be pretty good.

The pipeline is steaming with quality players, the notoriety right now is awesome especially recruiting wise.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2010
  7. Targus

Targus Suspended

I'm sold on a kid named James Euscher out of Aloha too. He's a HS SR at 6'7 280 and just plays mean. Athletic too - lettering in basketball, football and track. He's a commit.

Zagger mentioned Yure - who looks to be a stud.

Oregon is also a possibility for Asiata from Hawaii. He's a huge kid and has an offer from and visited Oregon. He's got UCLA as a favorite but maybe the recent game changed his mind??

8. Ed O

Great info. Thanks, guys.

Ed O.

9. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

Oline is just so key, especially with the runners we've got.

10. MrJayremmie

MrJayremmie Well-Known Member

Isn't it the Big Nasties?