Give Melo #7

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by DDolla, Dec 4, 2020.

?

Should Melo get to wear Roy's #7

1. Yes

95.2%
  2. No

4.8%
  1. Tince

Tince Well-Known Member

We've retired too many numbers as is. Roy's number isn't retired. Let Melo wear 7. It's just a number, I don't even get why this is an issue to anyone. I

Roy should come out and say he'd be honored for Roy to wear #7, then this issue done with.

Tyrant of Ants and Propagandist like this.
  2. SharpesTriumph

SharpesTriumph Well-Known Member

Mo Williams tried to wear it but had backlash. That was prior to a playoff series win in 17ish years. Now we have more prospective.

Give it to Melo.

3. Rastapopoulos

Rastapopoulos Well-Known Member

Ballin'
    The disrespect for one of the all-time great Blazers in this thread is kind of sickening. What did Roy do to offend your delicate sensibilities other than, you know, give his FUCKING KNEES for the franchise?

4. julius

julius Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

singer songwriter
    He didn't give his knees to the franchise, his knees were shot *before* he played a game in a Blazers uniform.

I'm not sure I'd say that someone who in his prime, didn't even play 4 complete seasons as a Blazer, is an "all time great" Blazer.

5. kjironman1

kjironman1 Well-Known Member

Carmelo Anthony was in the league playing at a high level before Roy and he was in the league playing at a high level after Roy. The Number 7 is not retired and should not be for what Roy brought. Roy will not be a HOF player. Melo will be a HOF player.
    There is absolutely no reason whatsoever to keep the number 7 under wraps. 00 has more significance to this organization and the city of Portland than 7 ever has. Exactly how many time did kids go down to the riverbank and fish with Duckworth? How many times has Roy even stepped foot in this city since he went and played for the T-Wolves? Roy has no claim to that number whatsoever. You want to ask Roy? Sure ask him. Let him actually say Carmelo Anthony cannot wear the number 7 for the Portland Trailblazers....

I rest my case.

6. Big Dog

Big Dog Active Member

Bill Walton?

PtldPlatypus likes this.
  7. kjironman1

kjironman1 Well-Known Member

Championship?

blazerkor likes this.
  8. julius

singer songwriter
    Well, it's a little different. While in playing in Portland, Bill lead the team to it's first winning season, first playoff appearance, first (and only) title, he won a regular season MVP, Finals MVP, made 1st team all NBA and 1st All NBA defensive team twice.

Those accolades are slightly more impressive than Brandons.

If people made the argument that Gabriel (who wore 32 on the Kings) should get to wear 32 on the Blazers, that'd be one thing...

blazerkor and GoBlazersGo like this.
  9. Big Dog

Big Dog Active Member

Gabriel, Walton and Roy. One of those names shouldn't even be in the discussion. Which one would you choose?

Also, this is what I was replying to which you never mentioned a comparison of accolades.:

I'm not sure I'd say that someone who in his prime, didn't even play 4 complete seasons as a Blazer, is an "all time great" Blazer.

10. riverman

riverman Writing Team

Roy didn't offend me....he retired a Timberwolf....he has not been active in the Portland community or the Blazers organization since....he's not Jerome Kersey or Steve Blake....great player...career ended too soon....retired from the Blazers so he could play with his kids and still walk...within weeks of saying that signed a deal in Minnesota...somebody wasn't loyal and it wasn't the fans.....I don't require him to maintain contact with the team or city but showing so little interest from his side, I don't feel undying allegiance to his jersey number..you can call it disrespect but I call it the way I see it. Rick Adelman wore number 12....Lamarcus Aldridge wore number 12.....we don't worry about it. Roy destroyed his meniscus doing martial arts, not basketball and he did that before his college playing days. We didn't break him. Kicking shit did.

11. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

Investment Management / Financial Planner
    I have a bigger issue with people wearing #11 (Sabonis, Hall of Fame) than #7. Roy was a tremendous player whose career was cut short. But Paul Allen paid him truckloads of money when they knew there were issues with his knees. Roy repaid that by basically cutting off the entire Blazers franchise and it's fans.

12. Buffalo Custard

Buffalo Custard Well-Known Member

He was, briefly, a great player. OTOH, Roy does not give a wet fart about the Team or its fans. Let the TWolves retire his number.

13. julius

singer songwriter
    again, one won an MVP, All NBA, All NBA defense twice, and an NBA finals MVP. The other didnt.

One continued to play *after* he left Portland, the other didn't.

Haakzilla likes this.
  14. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

Either retire it or let players get it. Stop sitting on the fence.

15. Rastapopoulos

Ballin'
    And you know this because?

16. Rastapopoulos

Ballin'
    Spoken like a butthurt jilted ex.

17. Buffalo Custard

Buffalo Custard Well-Known Member

Gee, I dunno....his behavior maybe?

Propagandist likes this.
  18. blazedanugz

blazedanugz Well-Known Member

It’s tragic how people have just discarded Roy over time. The guy brought all of us back to loving the blazers.. he gave us a team to be proud of.
    Roy changed the entire culture and how our organization was looked at throughout the league. Yes of course it has evolved with Dame but without a Roy who knows if we ever take the steps to even end up with dame.
    The guy gave us his all. If you don’t think he is an all time blazer great then you’re just saying you didn’t watch him play.
    Melo should be able to wear #7 and after he is gone, retire Roy’s #7. Period.

Stevenson and Rastapopoulos like this.
  19. riverman

riverman Writing Team

Roy attended one game in all the Dame years.....he lives right up the road...it's more like Roy has abandoned the team than the fans abandoning him....Paul Allen offered BRoy a job when he medically retired with the organization...he didn't take the job and left....hence...fans put him in the rear view mirror.....that's not on fans in my view...I was a fan with or without BRoy...he didn't bring me back as a fan because I never left. I loved his game and appreciate what he brought...not the way he went out though...

20. Rastapopoulos

Ballin'
    If Roy did "abandon the team" AFTER CAREER ENDING INJURIES so fucking what? Drexler abandoned us and he's still an all-time Blazer great. Walton even more so. Besides, imagine being cut off in your prime by injuries - there's likely to be a shit-ton of denial (see also Darius Miles) and I think that easily explains the whole Timberwolves thing. Blame David Kahn for that for stringing a man with shot knees along.

RoseCityRebel likes this.