Give Melo #7

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by DDolla, Dec 4, 2020.

?

Should Melo get to wear Roy's #7

1. Yes

95.2%
  2. No

4.8%
  1. Big Dog

Big Dog Active Member

From my understanding is that any jersey number that isn't retired is available for a player to be chosen so the reason might be that out of respect for Roy, no player has asked for it?

2. blazedanugz

blazedanugz Well-Known Member

Well kudos for sitting through the years with Darius miles and Theo Ratliff. I commend you.
    The guy had just had his passion taken from him...maybe he didn’t want a job in the organization? Just because you’re offered a job doesn’t mean it’s something you want to do especially when you’re set for life.
    There are tons of guys that don’t return to the team after they’ve retired. My point is Roy brought the city of Portland’s attention back to the organizatikn(except for you and some others I guess). A majority called him the “savior” of the franchise. He meant more to the city than the average superstar. There are guys up in the rafters that absolutely do not deserve to be up there

3. Propagandist

Propagandist Well-Known Member

He was not a superstar. I don't dislike BRoy but what is happening here? Should we retire LaMarcus too? His impact and contribution might be undervalued as much as BRoy's is overvalued.

4. Propagandist

Propagandist Well-Known Member

So it goes...

5. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

Investment Management / Financial Planner
    Spoken in a recitation of what happened. Couldn't care less otherwise. Project much? :cheers:

6. blazedanugz

blazedanugz Well-Known Member

smh forget it. You guys fight this winless argument.

7. THE HCP

THE HCP NorthEastPortland'sFinest

Please merge

8. Buffalo Custard

Buffalo Custard Well-Known Member

Why do you keep quoting your wife?

THE HCP, TBpup and kjironman1 like this.
  9. Tince

Tince Well-Known Member

I said nothing about retirement ceremonies. I just said Roy saying "I'm fine with Melo wearing #7" would take any pressure of the Blazers who might be protecting that number for some odd reason.

10. 42N8Bounce

42N8Bounce Red Hot And Rebuilding

My family has been season ticket holders since 1974. I've watched a lot of Blazer basketball over the years. And I enjoyed watching Roy play. But I don't think his contributions to the franchise warrants his number being retired. I think being considered for that honor is a fine balance between short term achievements and long term achievements. Then of course there are the 'intangibles' like contributions to the community and 'being a nice guy'.

Here's how I currently rank the top Blazers:

upload_2020-12-5_15-28-9.png

Roy isn't in my top 10. The only numbers I would have retired are Drexler, Walton, and Porter.

Eastoff, Natebishop3 and riverman like this.
  11. handiman

handiman Well-Known Member

Except that that's not what you said. Read it again... I was just poking fun at the typo, with regards to how pro athletes talk.

Tince likes this.
  12. kjironman1

kjironman1 Well-Known Member

I really don't see anyone "Hating" Brandon Roy. What i really hate is the word hate being thrown around when someone says something at all derogatory about anything.

I would bet you would be very hard pressed to find anyone who knows anything about the Blazers that hates Brandon Roy. We love the guy. Loved the player. Loved watching him play.
    We just don't think what he did here warrants retiring his jersey and beings it isn't retired it should be fair game!

Roy should be honored that this franchise and it's fan base is having this discussion at all. But of course he isn't and he really doesn't care. If he did he would know the conversation has come up and he would respond to it.

My question is how can you be Brandon Roy who played for the Portland Trailblazers and not know Carmelo Anthony now plays for the team and usually wears #7. Then how can you be Brandon Roy who used to play for the Portland Trailblazers and not be following close enough to know this conversation is in full swing right now?

The answer is either you don't care or you simply refuse to let anyone know you care and you are going to just sit there and not respond. Either way it ain't his number any longer and he doesn't deserve us caring what he feels about it.

13. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

Why Porter?

14. Natebishop3

Roy was a really good player but holy crap this fanbase holds him up like he was Michael Jordan or LeBron. He was a run of the mill AllStar. It would like Sacramento still worshipping Mitch Richmond.

15. -Ace-

-Ace- Mostly lurking

People so easily forget that #7 came back with Blazers preseason legend Coby Karl:

TBpup likes this.
  16. 42N8Bounce

Both Porter and Lucas were the 2nd best players on some tremendously talented teams. Both I think have good arguments. I just think Porter’s overall contribution to the franchise puts him in that category of retiring number 30. 3rd best WS in franchise history. 2 all-star appearances. 2 finals appearances. And seems to be an overall great guy that’s stayed connected with the franchise over the years.

upload_2020-12-5_18-41-5.png

riverman likes this.
  17. Natebishop3

I love Terry and I agree with everything you said, but I'm of the mind that you only retire HOF caliber superstars.

I just don't agree with retiring numbers simply because someone was good and you have fond memories.

42N8Bounce and Tyrant of Ants like this.
  18. 42N8Bounce

Yep. Totally agree with that opinion. Looking up and seeing all of those retired numbers, I sure wish they would have put stricter requirements in place.

#12 is an obvious omission at this point. (I was a big Billy Ray Bates fan) :)

riverman likes this.
  19. blazerkor

blazerkor Well-Known Member

1, Larry Weinberg
    13, Dave Twardzik
    14, Lionel Hollins
    15, Larry Steele
    20, Maurice Lucas
    22, Clyde Drexler
    30, Bob Gross
    30, Terry Porter
    32, Bill Walton
    36, Lloyd Neal
    45, Geoff Petrie
    77, Jack Ramsay

Rasheed Wallace
    Arvydas Sabonis
    Clifford Robinson
    Damon Stoudamire
    Jerome Kersey
    Kevin Duckworth
    Sidney Wicks
    Rod Strickland
    Jim Paxson
    Buck Williams
    Mychal Thompson
    LaMarcus Aldridge

The first list is obviously the numbers retired with the players who wore them best. The second list of names are guys that I think have made a bigger impact on the franchise than Roy that will likely never have their numbers' retired but should before Roy does (I'm sure I'm missing some). I like Brandon Roy, I appreciate that he gave his everything to this team and was a very good player for the short time he played here. He just didn't do enough in my opinion to put him on either of these lists and therefore it's crazy to think Melo shouldn't be able to wear the number he wore.

Propagandist, Hoopguru and 42N8Bounce like this.
  20. blazerkor

blazerkor Well-Known Member

Yeah, if Richmond would have played two less seasons in Soc, averaged three less points per game, had a third less steals per game and just not been as good as he was as a Kings player.