GMs weigh in on Greg Oden versus Derrick Rose

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Minstrel, Dec 7, 2008.

1. handiman

handiman Well-Known Member

I'll side with the results of their only head to head match-up...

2. BlazersBlood

BlazersBlood It's flowing within me.

Great post.

The fact that many GMs would take a wounded GO over the hottest rookie in the league right now just shows how valued Greg should be.

3. RoyToy

RoyToy Clown Town

How is Derrick Rose a superstar already? I don't agree with that.

4. DaRizzle

DaRizzle BLAKER

No...Greg Oden is not the same right now as 4 time DPOY Ben Wallace was in his prime. Thats just silly talk.

Your kool aid was spiked

5. RoyToy

RoyToy Clown Town

I'm not buying the 36min per crap either because part of playing that many minutes a night is staying out of foul trouble, something Oden struggles with a little bit. I have no doubts he'll correct it down the line though. It's not even a huge problem right now. It's more that he's just a rookie.

6. BlazersBlood

I'd have to disagree there. Oden is making a huge impact on his teammates. Joel Pryzbilla is playing the best ball of his career thanks to Greg's presence. On the defensive end, the Blazers are much better this year. Greg's impact goes beyond the box score.

7. DaRizzle

DaRizzle BLAKER

Dude...cmon....really? You using the highlighted part as a reason just screams you are grasping.

So far this year: Rose>Oden

Career: who knows...

8. BlazersBlood

Really? Pryz has never displayed the same type of aggressiveness on defense as he has this year. It's because he knows he's got 6 fouls to give and has Oden ready to come in if he gets into foul trouble. Plus with Oden inside, it allows his teammates to gamble a little bit more on the perimeter because they know Greg has their back. Like I said, Greg's impact goes beyond the box score.

Yeah, at this point you'd have to pick Rose. But KP put it best when talking about the Oden vs. Durant debate, "One will win multiple scoring championships. The other will bring you titles." Or something along those lines. I'm glad we've got a GM that sees the big picture and isn't worried about selling tickets or jerseys.

9. Ed O

Ed O Administrator Staff Member Administrator

C'mon. The Bulls added a superstar. You can see based on how much better they are than last year.

They're all the way up to 9-11 from 7-13 after 20 games last year.

Rose Effect!

Ed O.

10. Jayps15

Jayps15 Active Member

Except for the part where that's exactly what the Blazers training staff had to do with Oden during his rehab from MF surgery, yea it's totally different.:crazy:

Oden put in the time to learn to shoot free throws left handed in college, that's a dedication to winning.

As to the better and more impactful statement, I think your half way there. Derrick Rose is more impactful on a game to game basis because he's A) playing more minutes and B) clearly the best player on his team, as far as impact on the Bulls wins/losses I wholeheartedly agree that Rose is currently more important to his teams success. But being a better overall player, right now, is highly debatable.
    One way to look at is like this, PER is notoriously bad at quantifying a players real defensive impact, but for measuring a players statistical impact while on the court there aren't many better options. Rose and Oden share similar PER numbers this season, despite Oden returning from some minor injuries and conditioning problems, but there's no way that you can argue that Oden doesn't have a much more dramatic effect for his team defensively.

11. Денг Гордон

Денг Гордон Member

They also played the toughest schedule in the NBA so far.

12. BlazersBlood

Superstars rise above.

13. The_Lillard_King

The_Lillard_King Westside

I don't think it is as clear as everyone is making it out to be . . . but I do know that Rose can't give Bosh a gash on the forehead that requires two stiches while slamming the ball through the hoop.

Blazers needed a player like Oden more than they do a player like Rose . . . Blazers can always trade for an elite PG :D (aren't there like three more high draft pick PGs coming out this next draft)

14. andalusian

andalusian Season - Restarted

Even using this year's SOS - the Bulls did not play the toughest schedule in the league.

As for why the Blazer's SOS is not as hard as the perception of the teams played based on last year's schedule - it's because these teams played against the Blazers... ;)

15. andalusian

andalusian Season - Restarted

Honest to god - I think the world of Rose - and it is going to be hard to find an elite PG like him - but it is going to be harder to find an elite big like GO - so GO still has more value as a prospect. It is as simple as this.

16. Ed O

Ed O Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Bullshit.

Ed O.

17. Денг Гордон

Денг Гордон Member

Well one of the toughest sos'. It was the highest sos during last week. Bulls playing Milwaukee, Washington, and the 76ers in December while Indiana played Boston x 2, Lakers, Cavs and while the Raptors played Denver, Utah, and Portland pushed Bulls down to 3rd highest sos.

18. bodyman5001

bodyman5001 Genius

auto collision technician
    I won't try and say who has the toughest schedule but I looked up the Bulls schedule and it looked really tough. That being said, I wouldn't take Rose over Oden. Oden has the misfortune of being a rookie and coming off of MF at the same time. He doesn't have one veteran trick to rely on. Luckily, without his former explosiveness he is still the best center we have had in years. As a rookie. Pretty good IMO.

19. Minstrel

Minstrel Top Of The Pops Global Moderator

User Interface Designer
    Oden is almost unfailingly double-teamed in the post. If you don't think double-teams in the post make a big difference for teammates on offense, you don't have a very firm grasp of basketball.

That also pretty much puts paid to the idea that Oden has limited offensive upside. Fans who only look at raw stats may think that, but opposing coaches realize that Oden already will overmatch single defenders. And this is as a rookie, recovering from micro-fracture surgery. That pretty much proves that NBA coaches believe Oden has a lot of offensive ability.

Rose 2008 PER: 17.4
    Oden 2008 PER: 16.7

Almost identical. Rose has played more minutes, but Oden is a far, far more impactful defensive player. The two have been pretty even this year.

While both are rookies and should improve as the year wears on, Oden should improve more because he's still not in basketball shape, having had to avoid proper basketball for a year.

20. Денг Гордон

Денг Гордон Member

They are not even. Rose has a higher PER, higher basic stats, while playing more minutes. There is a chance that Oden's PER would dip if he he had to do what he's doing over 40 minutes a game like Rose.