GMs weigh in on Greg Oden versus Derrick Rose

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Minstrel, Dec 7, 2008.

1. BrianFromWA

BrianFromWA Editor in Chief Staff Member Editor in Chief

Let's run with that. Yes, there is a chance his PER would dip if his minutes increased to 40 per game.

OTOH:

Oden with >20 min: 7 games, 5.1ppg, 5.7 ppg
    Oden with 21-31 min: 8 games, 11.3 ppg, 10 rpg.

His games with 30+ minutes? 3 of them. 22/10, 11/13 and 13/10 for an average of 15/11.

I don't know where the chart peters off to diminishing returns, but I'm much more in the "if he plays more the numbers go up" category.

2. Денг Гордон

Денг Гордон Member

Yeah, but when your in the small sample size of 3 games over 30 minutes, there is a decent chance you're in the "he's only playing that many minutes because he was playing well that night" territory.

3. andalusian

andalusian Season - Restarted

Yes, there is a chance. On the other hand - his best games were the ones where he got big minutes - so there is a very good chance that the exact opposite will happen as well...

4. andalusian

Anyway, that Rose kid can't even keep himself healthy in bed - he is an injury risk - no one in his right mind will choose a guy who can't even eat an apple without needing a trip to the hospital!

5. Minstrel

Minstrel Top Of The Pops Global Moderator

User Interface Designer
    Barely. A less than 1 PER difference is not very significant, especially this early in the season. A week ago, Oden had a PER over 18. They are essentially even in PER.

Rose has played more minutes. That's a solid advantage to him. Oden has been a far, far more impactful defensive player. That's a solid advantage to him.

When you consider that Oden is still working his way back to his previous shape, while Rose is not, and they are still at least even...it's no wonder that NBA GMs prefer Oden.

6. DaRizzle

DaRizzle BLAKER

Really? I mean if he has great footwork (which Im not sure/dont know) then maybe on dunks. What Ive seen of him (which I admit is less than you) he has an ugly shot for his shots from 4-8 feet. Flat and hard.

7. Денг Гордон

Денг Гордон Member

8. andalusian

With a rookie Tyson on the roster - the bulls were #21 in defensive efficiency in the league. With a rookie Oden coming back from injury the Blazers are #15 in defensive efficiency (or #9 if we only include the games Oden played).

Defense is really a team game and one where a good defensive player's impact is a lot bigger than his personal stat-sheet.

If you can not see it - there is a good chance you will never be a good basketball talent evaluator.

9. Minstrel

User Interface Designer
    Well, I was pointing out that NBA coaches clearly see him as an offensive thread right now, as illustrated by them doubling him in the post. Considering how many open shots this creates for Portland (and they've been knocking them down), they would definitely not do this unless they felt they had to.

As for my subjective evaluation of him, I think Oden currently has great strength and surprisingly good footwork. Against a single defender, he's capable of establishing deep position and then getting the defender off-balance to either go past him or draw the foul. Right now, he hasn't handled double-teams well in terms of trying to score. When guarded by two players, he gets into a rush and is clearly spending too much time "thinking" about technique. The NBA game hasn't slowed down enough, yet, for him to simply read and react to double-teams. However, he's already shown very good passing skills for a big man, so he's making defenses pay for double-teams by hitting open teammates.

When Oden gets his explosiveness back and gets used to NBA speed and defenses, I think he's going to be a very difficult player to handle, even with double-teams.

Even without the explosiveness or experience, he's already a top rebounder (in terms of efficiency) and a great defensive presence.

10. Minstrel

User Interface Designer
    Nobody even considered double-teaming Chandler (and they still don't). Oden is already a virtually automatic double-team in the post. There's a massive difference.

Plus, Chandler was operating with his peak athleticism. Oden isn't, yet.

11. Ed O

Ed O Administrator Staff Member Administrator

I am not 100% positive, but I would bet that Chandler didn't draw double-teams at age 20. Hell... he doesn't even draw them today.

Oden, on the other hand, does.

Ed O.

12. JFizzleRaider

JFizzleRaider Sad Panda Global Moderator

this post is hilarious. I'm guessing a lot of you haven't posted with sloth (the bulls fan you are arguing with) before, he will never give up saying Rose is the best, as some of us will never give up Oden being better. Best to just let it go imo.

13. BlazersBlood

BlazersBlood It's flowing within me.

Nah, we'll let him post his homer posts and then we'll counter with even better homer posts.

14. DaRizzle

DaRizzle BLAKER

^The most factual thing written in this thread

15. andalusian

So you agree we are better?

16. DaRizzle

DaRizzle BLAKER

Your team? Of course

Oden over Rose this year? No

17. JFizzleRaider

JFizzleRaider Sad Panda Global Moderator

Just a side note, I find it funny sloth said Durant, Oden, Rose and Beasley, when Mayo is arguably outplaying all of them and imo will be the ROY

18. andalusian

That was a joke.

And I agree that Rose is playing better individually - but is still having a lesser impact. That's why bigs get paid so handsomely - even the average ones, and that's why a big with a lot of potential will always be a more attractive prospect than a small with a lot of potential.

Time will tell which one will be better when all is said and done - but I still think that you would have to be crazy to pass Oden, the prospect, for Rose, the prospect - even when we know that Rose is a great rookie (when not playing with fruit or against Steve Blake, that is).

19. Денг Гордон

Денг Гордон Member

Other teams didn't have much chance to double team Chandler. He would make an insane athletic move and get a good score. Then Cartwright got fired, and Skiles turned Chandler into shit. Diving into the stands and murdering his back didn't help either, but Skiles was the main dagger.

Tyson Chandler is an example of what you don't want to happen with Oden. Both are similar in that they are absolute freaks body and athleticism wise. Chandler showed a lot of great skill, and had a lot of good games as Oden is doing now at that age.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/HBvyLBEsyVE&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/HBvyLBEsyVE&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_DgLKk8gM6c&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_DgLKk8gM6c&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Tyson Chandler is still a freak, but when he was young, he had a coaching staff that mishandled his offensive game and forever kept him from being dominant at that, even though Cartwright had him looking like he'd be a fine defensive player. The Blazers have to watch out not to let Oden just become a really good center. They need to develop him to be great like Tim Duncan, Dwight Howard, Shaquille O'neal. Making him into Tyson Chandler would be nice for the team, but with a stacked Lakers team, and a potential host of teams (Chicago (maybe), Miami, or Cleveland) that can stack multiple superstars on their team in 2010, Oden just being a good center that gets you something like 12 points 12 rebounds 2.5 blocks might not be enough, even if Brandon Roy is playing really great, and Aldridge is fine.

20. julius

julius Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

singer songwriter
    Yah, those 11 road games, and 9 home games sure are tougher than the 7 home games and 15 road games. And .563 is so much tougher than .522.