God damn the people I live around are fat

Discussion in 'Blazers OT Forum' started by mook, Mar 4, 2013.

1. maxiep

maxiep RIP Dr. Jack

Merchant Banker
    I don't wish to live in a Hobbesian society. I want a social safety net, but I want it as a last resort, for those who have noplace else to go. I'm also willing to pay for it, as long as it gives people a hand up, rather than a hand out. What has happened is that our first instinct is to have government fix things rather than looking to ourselves, our families, our churches, our charities and our communities. I very much believe in the idea that a government that can do anything for you can do anything to you.

2. maxiep

maxiep RIP Dr. Jack

Merchant Banker
    Wouldn't it be awesome to use the knowledge we gained in making chicken breasts larger and apply it to women?

3. Sinobas

Sinobas Banned User BANNED

Check out the film "Fat Head" on NetFlix. It's a good intro into the issue of diet, and how so many have been mislead into thinking "animal products" and fat is bad for you. The tons of sugar and processed carbs we eat make us fat.

Also, do weight training, it's a great way to lose weight. You build muscle, and it burns calories throughout the day.

4. Denny Crane

Denny Crane It's not even loaded! Staff Member Administrator

Never lost a case
    Muscle weighs more than fat;)

5. MickZagger

MickZagger Well-Known Member

UPS
    Explain what I said in that quoted material that would make me "fucking clueless"?

There's a lot of lazy people in this world these days that don't follow the simple tips that I just gave.

6. jlprk

jlprk The ESPN mod is insane.

retired, while you work!
    Problem is too many fat teenagers. They drive the average weight up for all of us. I'm willing to support them but not if they eat any of my food. In my day teens were thin and got no sex. Now they're ugly and receiving propositions all evening on their private cell phones.

The #2 problem is Costco. Massive bags of chocolate and nuts used to be too expensive, but now we all keep a stash secret from the rest of the household. Mine's right here in the closet under all the old shoes.

7. MickZagger

MickZagger Well-Known Member

UPS
    My younger brother has put on a lot of weight since high school. Its fairly simple why he has put the weight on. He gets stoned every night and eats a shitload of food before he goes to bed.

8. jlprk

retired, while you work!
    It's the government cheese from Lyndon Johnson. They're like round mice. When I was a teenager, we were hungry. All the time. French Fries were a luxury. We held our little radios to our ears. We dodged traffic. Now, they walk across without looking up for cars. Think they own the street. They may be fat, but they'll be splat.

They've gotten taller. They pass me when I'm walking fast. The world has reversed.

9. Boob-No-More

Boob-No-More Why you no hire big man coach?

Obesity really is an epidemic in this country. A lot of it comes down to life style choices. To be healthy, you need to make eating right and being active priorities in your life. That sounds simple, but so many people don't have a clue how to eat healthy. Health and PE classes in high school are a joke. This is a true failure of our education system. Sure, doing well in math and science can help you get a better job, but knowing how to eat right and get enough exercise will impact both the length and quality of your life.

I know Masbee got blasted for his recommendation to avoid hanging out with fat people, but there is some truth to what he wrote. If you hang out with people who have poor nutritional habits that are inactive, those habits will rub off on you. Where I grew up, people eat a VERY unhealthy diet, and have ever since I was a kid, and probably before that. Thank god I got out of there when I did. People there just don't know how to eat right.

I went to a reunion a couple years ago, and I was absolutely shocked by how obese most of my former classmates had become. Were talking most guys over 300 pounds and most women over 200. I didn't recognize many of the girls I used to date - girls that were cheerleaders and gymnasts in high school. I know there is a genetic component involved, but I knew these kids' parents and most of them were not obese. Of course, many of them were farmers who burned a lot of calories working the land. After so many family farms were foreclosed in the late 70s and early 80s, creating today's industrial agricultural conglomerates, my former hometown has become more of a bedroom community of folks who have desk jobs in the nearby cities.

They are much less active than their parents, but eat even worse - thanks to the proliferation of fast food. The first McDonalds within 20 miles of my house didn't open until I was in high school. Now, they are on every corner, along with all the other fast food chains.

It takes a lot of will power, dedication and hard work to stay healthy these days. It helps a lot that my girlfriend is also very active and eats a very healthy diet. We both make our health a priority. Her sister is very obese and smokes. My brother had his first heart attack at 53 less than a year ago and had quintuple bypass surgery in September. He also suffers from type 2 diabetes. He weighed over 350 pounds for 10 years and was down to 330 when he had the heart attack. He's now down to 265 and headed in the right direction. I try to be supportive, but I live over 2000 miles away. So, I can't be there with him to make sure he's eating right and exercising. This is where personal responsibility comes in. After the heart attack, he realized he needed to make serious changes to his lifestyle and take his health seriously. Too bad it took such a traumatic event to initiate the positive changes, I just hope he sticks with it.

I could go on for hours, but no amount of preaching here is going to change anything. The key is education. We need to start teaching kids how to eat right, and give them good tasting, healthy choices, from a very early age. We also need to make physical education a higher priority.

This doesn't just effect people's health, it impacts all of us economically. As our nation becomes increasingly obese, the cost of health insurance and medical care skyrockets. We all share these costs. It is so much more cost effective to educate and prevent these lifestyle related illnesses than to ignore them until expensive surgical procedures and medications are required. An ounce of prevention, and all that...

My girlfriend is a nurse. So, she sees first hand on a daily basis how poor diet and lack of exercise impacts the health of her patients. It is shocking how many people 5 - 10 years younger than me, people in their 40s need hip and knee replacement surgery simply because their lower body can't support their massive weight - and they just accept this like it's a natural part of the aging process. Being in your 40s isn't old. Your body shouldn't be completely failing at that age, but for so many people it is, and that's just sad, and so preventable.

BNM

10. drexlersdad

drexlersdad SABAS

sure there is, in some instances

but the way he put it was "if you see fat people, run screaming"

i just thought it was funny

11. Masbee

Masbee -- Rookie of the Year

Funny, because it was humour.

12. jlprk

retired, while you work!
    People used to go to fat farms for forced diets. You might give a gift to someone, of a week or two at the fat farm. Are there any fat farms left?

13. Nate Dogg

Nate Dogg Active Member

Private Security
    For one thing, I have tried to kill Fast Food joints, such as McBarf (McDonalds) and others. Have you seen this on Facebook?
    The "Ye Old Egg McMuffin" in the search engine? That should make you barf.
    I have banned McDonalds after seeing his post on facebook and this video of him eating it just tops it off.
    [video=youtube;sF-FSoNlFMc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sF-FSoNlFMc[/video]
    Since then I mainly stick with home cooked meals.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
  14. Nate Dogg

Nate Dogg Active Member

Private Security
    Fast food has killed this country with all the McDonald commercials glamorizing their food as healthy and the norm. Fish bites? Seriously?
    This is why America is fat.