Golden State Warriors: Overrated or No?

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Stevenson, May 23, 2016.

?

Are the Warriors overrated?

1. Yes

25 vote(s)
    52.1%
  2. No

23 vote(s)
    47.9%
  1. Nate

Nate #itsokaytobewhite #wakandaforever BANNED

Rabble rabble rabble

2. blue9

blue9 Well-Known Member

You seemed to be implying that yesteryear's NBA was weak because they allowed hand-checking/contact rather than staying in front of your man. Maybe somebody is saying that today's NBA is weak because of the rule change, but I think mostly people are saying that the TALENT is weak and that's why the NBA is weak, not because of a rule change. You've been trying to argue (at least I think it's been you...maybe not) that today's talent is better than yesteryear's talent. My response was that that's bullshit, and the fact that you're using "generational differences" to support yourself makes it seem like you're too young to know what you're talking about.

3. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

I don't think it would hurt, i actually think expansion would be great for the NBA. Could lower the salary cap a little bit per team (the money would be spread out a little more) and spreading the talent out would mean more parity.

Lower salary cap=less room for multiple stars
    Talent Spreader Out=Stars spreader out amongst the teams.

The NBA would be great as a 36 team league. Give Seattle, Las Vegas, Kansas City, St. Louis, Cincinatti, Pittsburgh teams. Then a 16 team playoff would make more sense. Would create a Portland-Seattle rivalry, Kansas City-St. Louis rivalry, a Cincinatti-Cleveland rivalry and a Pittsburgh-Philadelphia rivalry.

I think it'd help small markets too. The more smaller markets, the more power places like that will have.

Orion Bailey likes this.
  4. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

Man you got me except for what I bolded. Spreading the talent out will lead to more parity and less entertaining games. More turnovers, lower fg% etc.

I love everything you stated that would be a benefit, but I think the loss of quality play trumps everything else.

I am not saying the NBA is quality now, but it damned sure wont be with more teams and less talent per team.

5. BonesJones

You know how many CJ McCollums and Will Barton's there are out there? Quality players that just need the chance. Expanding would give more opportunities to guys like that. Therefore I don't think the talent level would go down at all, as your have more guys stepping up given the playing time.

I think that coupled with star players getting spread out more (hypothetically) plus making it harder to sign multiple star players would create a ton of parity.

6. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

Fair point. Maybe there is more talent in the NBA, we just dont know it because the all stars clog all the lanes

7. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

There in lies your problem young padawan. Parity means more difficult for the Blazers to win. We want DOMINATION OF ONE TEAM ONLY!
    All the others can be gutter ballers for all I care.

8. BBert

BBert Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Selfless Public Servant
    Big news: It's a star driven league. Other big news: The team with the one or two best players usually wins.

I favor more parity and more teams if it would lead to more parity. The problem is that unless there is a way to prevent a few teams from amassing all the best players we would end up with an even worse situation than what we have now: Lots of parity among the bottom feeders and a hand full of teams breaking regular season win records.

And that sucks for the majority of fans.

blue9 and Denny Crane like this.
  9. BonesJones

Lol I just want a more entertaining playoff

Well more teams means more low contract players. That means that the cap for each team should go down. Couple that with raising the max for a free agent (to say 35/40/45%), and it'd make it way harder for teams to have multiple stars unless it's through the draft. That means more parity and a better chance for smaller markets

Last edited: Jun 7, 2016
    Orion Bailey likes this.
  10. BBert

BBert Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Selfless Public Servant
    That would be great.

:cheers:

11. Denny Crane

Denny Crane It's not even loaded! Staff Member Administrator

Never lost a case
    In Jordan's day, Euro players had a tough time getting into the NBA. Now the league is diluted with Euro players. It is weaker than the old days. Bob McAoo (SIC, no D) was as good as Durant, but not a top 5 player of his time. Bernard King would be in the MVP top 3 in this NBA.

The Alvin Adams Phoenix Suns team would be perennial champs against today's teams.

Name a better pair in today's NBA than Dr. J and Moses Malone.

There were two pro leagues that undiluted the NBA when they merged. It effectively added superstar free agents to the existing teams while none lost any of their own.

If you didn't see those guys play, you really missed the best of the NBA.

BBert likes this.
  12. Nate

I have not been trying to argue that. So I don't know what you're talking about.

I do know a thing or two about psychology though, so I know for a fact that this is mostly a generational thing (and that's not just about basketball). We're talking about opinions here....

Also, they have this thing called the Internet. It allows people to watch videos of things that happened in the past. Ever watched any NBA Hardwood Classics?

13. Nate

I see what you're saying about the merger. But I think euro players had a hard time getting into the NBA because basketball wasn't as popular back then. And it still isn't compared to soccer.
    Euro players were basically a few decades behind Americans when it came to basketball. That disparity is getting smaller and smaller though. Because now there's more guys from Europe who grew up idolizing Jordan, Kobe, etc. before that, they were idolizing soccer players.
    Same with America and soccer. Americans aren't just born shittier soccer players than other countries. We just don't idolize soccer players, so we don't develop a high amount of great soccer players.

14. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    Basketball is more popular in the USA, too. All the schools have teams, and the schoolyard is always packed. In Europe, they play soccer like we play basketball.

Our talent is identified at earlier age than before. Coaching has progressed, as has how to train. We have 500 colleges with basketball programs, and tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands, high schools. All that to fill 450 roster spots.

It makes no sense that our league needs an influx of foreign talent. Our players just aren't that good anymore.

Rudy comes here and is meh. He plays in Europe and is a superstar. Sergio, too. That should be a clue.

15. Nate

How are we getting worse at basketball then?

16. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    Poor fundamentals. Nobody knows how to play C anymore. The Cs used to be the elite players.

Flopping is a skill now.

Bigs shooting 3s and trying to dribble. They all think they're LeBron.

Emphasis on the 3 in general. Pass the ball around the 3pt line until someone can get a shot off.

Zone instead of man defense. You don't need players to be as good at D.

The Bulls had two stars, both were elite defenders. That team's defense was smothering when it needed to be.

The guys with fundamentals are elite today.

blue9, Elton, BBert and 2 others like this.
  17. Nate

I respectfully disagree! The nba is definitely different though, you're right about that.

18. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

I don't think that more Euros in the league means the NBA has weakened. I think it means the euro league has strengthened. NBA was very much an American sport for the bulk of its inception until Jordan came along and made it Global. Ever since then international basketball has taken leaps and bounds. I would think it's fair to assume that the players have as well.

19. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    Nikola Mirotic was MVP in the toughest Euro league, and considered the best player in the world (outside the US). How's his NBA career going? I'm happy with Vonleh ;)

20. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

Im happy with Vonleh too, but you made an isolated point about a generality. There is no doubt in my mind, even while I know nothing about Euro ball, that the average player and the game as a whole has improved, and with that individual players would be better on average than in past decades. Are they good enough for the NBA now? Probably not, but that doesn't mean that they aren't improving and there might be a gem in the rough in the wrong situation that has the skills to cross over to the NBA. Just saying its pretty difficult to think the league hasn't gotten better considering its infancy in the big picture