Golden State Warriors pick watch

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Labinot41, Oct 1, 2023.

1. AmirIcon

AmirIcon Well-Known Member

Writer, Director, Actor
    Silly. They were pretty good this season after they discovered Kuminga. He's only going to get better and adding a top 4 pick? The pick next season would be in the high teens/20s.

I'd rather have 12th pick this season than one in the twenties next.

AquaXI, PCmor7, BIG Q and 1 other person like this.
  2. SharpesTriumph

SharpesTriumph Well-Known Member

With how poorly rated this draft is and that small chance it's very high next year can't totally fault this.

FlyinSouth and theprunetang like this.
  3. SharpesTriumph

Even if that's a more likely outcome, a top6 pick next year is soooo much more valuable that might be worth the smaller roll of the dice.

GS also is going to have trouble keeping Klay/CP3, or adding anyone at that salary slot with the new taxes. Plus will Steph be just as healthy/productive next year? Even if Kuminga is great(not a given) that team has a ton of risk of being significantly worse.

I still kind of lean to #12 now would be better, especially since they could flip #1-4 for immediate help, but there's certainly a real argument to the other direction.

blazerfan11 likes this.
  4. blazerfan11

blazerfan11 Well-Known Member

How do you know where Golden State's pick will be next season? Did you predict they'd end up in 10th place this season?

How much did their 2nd pick James Wiseman help them? He was supposed to be transformational according to Warriors fans.

5. STOMP

STOMP mere fan

Well yeah I guess if thats the choice, but I don't think your premise holds water.

I doubt any of the guys in this next draft are going to have more then a modest impact next season, so it's really doubtful they will improve much even if everything goes right for them. Even if the W's had somehow landed the best player from this next draft (whoever that is) I'd much rather be able to take the chance that the wheels fall off of some of their top older players and they totally suck. Much better chance of Portland landing an impact player going that course

STOMP

BBert likes this.
  6. blazerkor

blazerkor Well-Known Member

I think Klingan would have more than a modest impact on the Warriors. I would personally rather just have the pick now. A bird in the hand and whatnot.

HoopsFanAZ, AmirIcon and AquaXI like this.
  7. Labinot41

Labinot41 Well-Known Member

Young players on a long-term rookie contract are extremely valuable. You just never know how they develop. There are a lot of examples of players who got drafted between 10-15 and became future hall of famers

AmirIcon and Ed O like this.
  8. 1 Eye Jack

1 Eye Jack Well-Known Member

Vice President for Display company
    When do we start the Bucks pick watch ;)

9. Whyachi

Whyachi Well-Known Member

Does this pick go into late lottery if the Kings beat the Warriors?

I'm ready to get a Bonzi Wells Kings jersey. But i won't go crazy and shout at the front office while outside the stadium.

10. SharpesTriumph

The four teams that lose play in game(s) missing the playoffs will be in the lottery.

blazerkor and Whyachi like this.
  11. AmirIcon

AmirIcon Well-Known Member

Writer, Director, Actor
    Looking at the history of their franchise, they're going to pay to put players around Steph. I didn't count them out this season when Dray went out and I won't do it next season either.

HoopsFanAZ likes this.
  12. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

Investment Management / Financial Planner
    Root for the Warriors to lose their very first Play-in game. That would give the Blazers the 13th pick. In the very unlikely scenario they jump up, you hope it is only to #4 and that they get a rookie who doesn't help their ageing roster next year when the pick is only Top-2 protected in a much better Draft. If it's between a #13 pick in this years Draft and a chance at a Lottery pick in a much better Draft next year....when the Blazers might not have a pick (wishful thinking), I'll take the pick next year.

That also keeps us from having 4 picks in this years Draft. Better to spread them out a bit, especially with a chance to really make it better. The Warriors time has passed and they are only getting older with no cap flexibility. They may lose Thompson and there isn't a big market for Wiggins.

The upside for next year versus #13 or 14 this year is just too tempting.

13. Whyachi

Whyachi Well-Known Member

you don't want big brand Warriors name floating around a #1 pick in a loaded draft. Especially after the Wiseman flameout. Grab anything related to Golden State while the league still makes it possible.

14. blazerkor

blazerkor Well-Known Member

I think when teams don't make the playoffs and the lotto has been completed that tied regular season records still get settled by a coin flip. So if the Kings get beat the game after they beat the Warriors, I don't think the Warriors automatically get that 13th pick. In fact if the Heat lose two play in games it will be some three way coin flipping action.

SharpesTriumph likes this.
  15. HoopsFanAZ

HoopsFanAZ Well-Known Member

My dream scenario is the Blazers win the draft, get a stud with the Warriors’ pick this year, and trade the veterans except Ayton. Embrace the Suck for one more year.

[Gon’ers would be Ant, Grant, Matisse, Time Lord, Brogdon. Ayton stays unless the Pacers want him for Turner and Jarace Wallace.]

blazerkor and BIG Q like this.
  16. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    My dream scenario is that we use the Warrior's mid-first round pick to get the next Giannis. That would be funny.

SlyPokerDog, BIG Q and HoopsFanAZ like this.
  17. HoopsFanAZ

HoopsFanAZ Well-Known Member

Marc Jackson, IIRC, got the axe at GST that led to the Kerr as “great coach” from the jump storyline. Nice to inherit that team … which leads to my expecting Popovich — who is old and grumpy and old — to retire soon enough with Kerr bailing for the Spurs … at which point I’ll have to continue despising the Spurs and praying that Wemby will go East for shorter flights back home.

Golden State will suck and the League can go back to ignoring them for a decade.

18. STOMP

STOMP mere fan

capped out as they are, how in the world do you think they're going to pay new players to put around Steph? They'll have the mid-level exception and thats it for Free Agency. With no 1st rounder the other route is trades, but do they really want to roll the dice and part with their young frontcourt assets Jackson-Davis or Kuminga? No guarentee that moving them would improve the team.

Back when they were struggling early on this season, I was a very lonely voice in this same thread saying the Warriors were still had the ability to be a really good team. I do believe that they could be a very good team next year as well. But father time wins in the end agaist everyone and it's only a matter of time before the W's aging great players end their run. A significant injury to Steph or Draymond and they're toast.

STOMP

Last edited: Apr 16, 2024
  19. STOMP

STOMP mere fan

TJD is doing very well for the W's at the 5... their season closing run corresponds with his role being expanded and eventually becoming a starter.

The bird in hand reference doesn't work here as its not like Portland isn't going to get a 1st rounder out of GS, it would just be in a different draft then this piss poor next one.

STOMP

theprunetang likes this.
  20. Labinot41

Labinot41 Well-Known Member