Gonna start it now: ALL HOMER MAN CRUSH on Johnny Flynn

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by magnifier661, Mar 22, 2012.

1. Boob-No-More

Boob-No-More Why you no hire big man coach?

He started 81 games as a 20 year old rookie and posted a PER of 13.0. Yeah, it's not great, but not bad considering his age and the situation he was in. He's hardly played since (injuries and bad situations). This year, he's only played about half as many minutes as Nolan Smith. But, he's younger than Smith has a higher (albeit still very low) PER, and a AST% twice as high. I'm not saying he's going to break out given a bigger role, but I do think he has the potential to be an average, to slightly above average starting NBA PG - which is something we've lacked since trading Andre Miller. He seems to have more "upside" than Smith.

The current situation is the perfect time to evaluate a guy like Flynn and see what he can do. If he sucks, well you just let him walk. If he looks decent, you can resign him if you can get him cheap enough. He seems to have more "upside" than Smith. I'd like to see if that upside is real, or just imagined.

BNM

LameR likes this.
  2. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

In all likelihood he's probably gone. We don't have his bird rights and I suspect he'll want to play closer to home. I could see him signing with NY or NJ.

3. Rhal

Rhal Well-Known Member

UPS
    I do believe we have his bird rights, he was traded and never outright signed so we should still have them.

4. magnifier661

magnifier661 B-A-N-A-N-A-S!

Cracking fools in the skull
    I could be mistaken but I thought I read that Houston renounced their qualifying offer, so they lost the bird rights.

5. OneSport3

OneSport3 The Knowledge Hoarder

It's even more critical to see what Flynn is really all about because this draft class is thin at PG. The highest projected PG to be drafted is Damian Lillard from Weber State and he's more of a combo guard. I don't think we'lll find our answer at PG through the draft this year. With the circumstances that Flynn has been through (i.e. injuries and wrong fit), Flynn could in essence be a 3rd pseudo-lottery pick this year.

LameR likes this.
  6. Natebishop3

Nope. Houston dropped the ball so he's not an RFA this summer. We don't have bird rights, early bird rights, or the right to match if someone offers him a deal. He's just a regular FA and I have a feeling he'll leave regardless.

7. BLAZINGGIANTS

BLAZINGGIANTS Well-Known Member

For a guy I'd consider so smart (and who thinks he's so smart)..... I leave out one word (you), and you can't figure it out.

What I was saying is that for what NateBishop said, and the way you responded, you connected a whole lotta dots and made a whole lotta inference that I have no idea how you put the words in his mouth.

NB's quote:
    "Chauncey Billups didn't come into his own until much later in his career. Flynn has only been in the league a few years and you're already saying he's a bad player? I don't think he's had a fair shot. His first year he was trying to figure out the triangle and then he went to Houston where he was buried behind Lowry and Dragic. Where was he supposed to find minutes? I think he's worth a shot and a much better prospect than Nolan fucking Smith."

Your quote in response to NB:
    "I'm not a fan of Nolan Smith, either, of course, but just because Smith was a bad pick doesn't mean Flynn is suddenly going to be an NBA-level contributor."

How you made that inference based on what NB said is beyond me. Frankly, I was shocked because you're usually better than that (and more reasonable and logical). But your response made absolutely no sense. I wouldn't be surprised if you realized you made an incredible inference into NB's quote, and rather than respond to being called on putting words into NB's mouth, you just played it off like you couldn't understand what I tried to say.

8. PapaG

PapaG Banned User BANNED

I would invite you to look at Flynn's usage that year, and its effect on his PER, but since it would blow up your latest rant, I won't bother.

9. jlprk

jlprk The ESPN mod is insane.

retired, while you work!
    A lot of players who had quality careers, started with rookie years with an even higher usage rate than Flynn, yet got a lower PER. Note our own Cliff Robinson near the bottom of the list.

http://www.basketball-reference.com...at=&c5comp=gt&c6mult=1.0&c6stat=&order_by=per

10. Ed O

Ed O Administrator Staff Member Administrator

I would invite you to explore my response a bit more. It makes perfect sense to me.

As for not understanding what you posted: I'm sorry. Since my post makes sense, and since you left a word out, I really didn't know what you were talking about.

Ed O.

11. LameR

LameR Ha Seung-Jin Approved!

Soccer Coach
    Great point! Repped.

12. LameR

Soccer Coach
    Not trying to pile on you here Ed, but Flynn's athleticism is actually one of his strengths.

From the combine (Smith in parenthesis)
    3/4: 3.23 (3.17)
    10.86 lane agility (11.05)
    6' 1'' (6'4'') in shoes, 6' 4'' wingspan (6'6'')
    33 (28.5) inch no step / 40 (34) inch vertical
    Athletic strengths listed: Change of gears/hesitation moves, lateral quickness, conditioning, excellent first step, explosiveness
    Athletic weaknesses listed: Average wingspan, undersized
    http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Jonny-Flynn-1245/
    http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Nolan-Smith-1118/

Now granted, this is from prior to the draft, and especially after injuries he could be a step down in terms of athleticism, but his quickness is actually one of his strengths. He has physical abilities that Nolan doesn't. Nolan's got size on him for sure, but I think Flynn is a lot better in terms of actual potential as a starter at some point, and for me that's more than enough of a reason to give him more burn than Nolan. Again, I'm 100% willing to admit that I've liked Flynn since his 'cuse days, but I also have been pretty optimistic about Smith in the past as well-I just haven't seen attributes or abilities to convince me he could potentially be a PGotF.

13. PapaG

PapaG Banned User BANNED

Cliff Robinson was a 14 PER role player at the end of this 3rd season, and was a 2nd round draft pick. Flynn is a <9 PER PG that can't get minutes on a team that is trying to tank. His 3rd team in 3 years, and as a much higher draft pick than Cliff (Flynn was 6th overall), who was a solid, but not even very good, NBA player.

Dumb comparision. No surprise, though, considering who posted it.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2012
  14. LameR

Soccer Coach
    A couple of things...

The reason he can't get minutes on "a team that's trying to tank" is because the coach isn't trying to tank. Check blazersedge for Caleb's comments on it.
    In context of the full post (that I didn't post because I wanted you to actually read what I put down), it's pretty obvious he wants to get guys who have just become part of the team used to what they're actually supposed to be doing out there before throwing them in. With Hickson, it's a bit different because he's got more experience in the league, and not playing a position that dictates the flow of the offense (PG).
    Dave also has some good input here:
    http://www.blazersedge.com/2012/3/26/2905289/blazersedge-non-video-mailbag-march-27th-2012#storyjump

I want to quote lots of parts of it, but I'll just quote this:
    It's not really a surprise that Flynn got traded and barely played. With Rubio coming over, Flynn coming off of an injury, it made sense for them to ship him off. On the Rockets, he was playing behind Lowry, who for a good chunk of the season people were saying was a potential all-star, and Dragic who is obviously a hot commodity because he's been averaging great numbers. So it's not really a surprise that he was traded twice given the circumstances, and I'm not sure why you'd be surprised his PER is so low when he's barely playing. Someone mentioned in another thread the fact that one good game from him could knock him solidly into double digits.

It's easy to jump to conclusions without taking the circumstances into account. This isn't to say Flynn is going to come in and put up Steve Nash numbers, or even Jose Calderon, but I think you're making observations without putting them into their proper context.

15. Natebishop3

Of course Crawford and Felton would fume. Fuck them. Should have cut Felton and told Jamal not to come around the team any longer.

16. LameR

Soccer Coach
    Should have, but didn't unfortunately, and if we did now it'd look pretty unprofessional (heck, it would've then too). That's really gonna make the other players on the team want to work hard, or even "recruit" free agents. It's about saving face at this point. A team that makes the playoffs after a strong finish (and after changing coaches) is going to be a lot more attractive in getting free agents to sign here than a team that traded away two starters, cut another and the sixth man, and is going into full-blown rebuild mode. Ultimately though, I think it's gonna be more on LMA and others to get free agents to come here. It's going to have to come from their mouths, not our management, but it's a lot easier sell if the team makes the playoffs.

17. jlprk

jlprk The ESPN mod is insane.

retired, while you work!
    There's still time. Why don't you go tell him?

18. PapaG

PapaG Banned User BANNED

As long as LMA is in Portland, that's more important to 'recruiting' a star player than squeaking into the playoffs, or ending up at the tail end of the lottery. Had LMA been traded for draft picks, it wouldn't matter if the team won every game the rest of the year to make the playoffs. Star players want to play with other star players, and fortunately, Portland at least managed to hold onto the biggest asset they have to expedite a rebuilding process.

Playing Felton 34 minutes/game to beat a terrible GSW at home by 3 points is just dumb, though.

19. HailBlazers

HailBlazers RipCity

Almost as dumb as playing to lose at home.

20. LameR

Soccer Coach
    Why can't we have both?