Good Helfrich read

Discussion in 'Oregon Ducks' started by STOMP, Oct 1, 2014.

1. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

My problem with Helfrich started last season. It seemed like the players had no fear of him. The comments that Huff and DAT made after the loss toe Stanford made me feel like they just really didn't care anymore if they couldn't play for the natty, and they weren't afraid of Helf doing anything to them for making those comments publicly.

I think he's a really nice guy. I think everyone likes him a lot, but I don't care if everyone likes him. Chip Kelly is a dick. Nick Saban is a dick. I don't think Helf has the gravitas to be the head coach of an elite football program.

2. RoyToy

RoyToy Clown Town

Chip was just cutting edge in a lot of areas.

From the uptempo offense, to the way the team practiced, nutrition, recovery etc etc. He read up on this stuff and applied it.

Not sure what Helfrich is doing, but I don't get the vibe from him that he's out there looking for every little edge. I just don't see it. It's certainly not showing.

3. BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94

BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94 AWOL

You kinda described Helfrich as Mike Riley. Great guy/Decent coach... Mid-level program dude who will win some big games but lose some guys you shouldn't have.

4. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

Simply not the right guy for a program that was on the cusp of winning a championship. I am fairly certain we would have won one if Chip had stayed.

5. Quack U!

Quack U! Member

When the O line is healthy our offense flows and has under Helfrich, the issue is the apathetic defense that can't stop a mosquito in a closed room full of fly paper. Time to get real and get rid of the source of our true frustration, the laid back 3-4 prevent D. This is the laziest defense I've ever seen. When you watch Mississippi St. play or Michigan St, or Stanford for that matter they get after the QB. I actually watched Stanford with a 3 man rush sack the QB because the DT's were allowed to be aggressive. What the hell we coach seems like we're playing two hand touch out there.

Pellum has actually built on all the things Aliotti did wrong and forgot to bring the well timed blitz packages that Nick at least did right. What Pellum is doing in practice is beyond me. Our team is arm tackling in open space and laying up on the line and our secondary is playing so soft you'd wonder if they've figured out yet how many 15 yard pass plays they can give up before the other team scores. What has Pellum done differently this year from Aliotti but be worse than him? Pellum has been around to long to be this below average when given the keys to this team to drive defensively.

There were enough strong defensive teams on yesterday to clearly show what we are not doing. No more excuses! You can always find apathetic people who'll say why it wont work or why is should stay the same and on and on. If your a top 15 team with a 90th or worse D, you need to get a reality check in a hurry! Our D needs to be revamped! Let's move on and get going. Bend don't Break is for losers and those happy with the 4th place trophy yearly.

How hard is it to bring another guy into the box and tell the D line to play like a bats out of hell going after the QB? We have an all American DB and a well coached secondary. Let them be special for once. They're not LB's, they're out their to pick balls off and shut down the passing lanes not make tackles on RB's that have been allowed to break free time after time because or first two lines of defense are sleeping out there. What's the purpose of having AA and Buckner as bookends if they aren't allowed to go after the QB every play? Our defense doesn't have an IDENTITY because it's PREVENT!

It's all you can really say!

6. MickZagger

MickZagger Well-Known Member

UPS
    Pellum won't last long here.

Who do you think we should go after? What D coordinators are out there? What about a guy like Ed Orgeron. At the least he would be great for recruiting the D-Line.

7. BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94

BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94 AWOL

Will muschamp. Perfect defensive coordinator for us.

8. Quack U!

Quack U! Member

I'm liking the Miss St. D coordinator Geoff Collins. Anyone see his defense? They are damn good and crushed Texas A&M! Solid top to bottom just like Michigan St's.

After that Orgeron who I think we'll need to pay big bucks to get, but he can recruit like a beast on both coasts and kids love him!

9. STOMP

STOMP mere fan

good grief, my regurgitated life... grow up or at least aspire to learn a new insult. The only thing funny about how often you use that in rebuttals to me is that I used it in your GP days to describe your Bleacher's relays here. You're regurgitating regurgitating :lol: Anyhoo, others who've referred to Armstead and Buckner as DTs include various NFL draft profiles, various college websites, Nick Aliotti, Don Pellum & Ron Aiken... but of course you'll tell us you know better then the guys who's D it is right? The O, ESPN & the Ducks official website lists them not as neither DTs or DEs but DL probably because since they're shuffled around in the various defenses Oregon runs, they don't truly fit a single pigeonholed positional description.

But just to be clear, a DE is called that because he lines up at the position at the End of the DLine. Since Oregon alternates between a 3-4 & a 4-3 and often sends not the Drop End but the opposite Outside LB, both players often are playing as interior Lineman, or DTs, even when they don't switch where they are lining up. Oregon definitely continues to like long tall versitile athletes at those spots as they just landed another last night in Gus Cumberlander. He won't be playing the Tony Washington/Dion role of Drop End. He'll be another DT/DE/DL in the mold of Arik & DeForest.

remember back just two seasons ago when you were just as obnoxiously insisting that all of Oregon's DLineman had to be at least 6'6 or have you completely scrubbed it from the memory banks? Then 6'3 Eddie Blue Eye's stole your heart and your BFF fantasies went wild. Following that faceplant you changed your name and tune but not the know it all tone. Your words carry as much weight now as then

The reason I haven't been spending nights with Jessica Alba isn't because of a lack of interest on my part. Despite your claims otherwise, Oregon has recruited dozens of DTs in the mold you described in that timeframe, but those guys for the most part have decided to go elsewhere... usually deciding to stay close to home. I know they're looking to add at least one NT type in this cycle with Rex Manu being an obvious likely candidate.

With a healthy Armstead, I like the DLine play this year but I think the LB play has been atrocious. This is only the 10,000th time I've relayed that opinion yet you're still acting like I'm mums the word without an expressed opinion. Why is this so hard?

calling someone a mouth would indicate they're all talk and no substance. Since you struggle to keep basic facts or even what rant you're on strait yet never lack for quantity or volume! I find it a highly ironic name for you to continue to throw around. But bringing the funnies is what you do... carry on!

STOMP

Last edited: Oct 6, 2014
  10. Quack U!

Quack U! Member

Stomp,

Let's do this retort quickly SPARKY.....

BLAH, BLAH,BLAH only 4 true DT' recruited in four years, you can't back your argument, BLAH, BLAH, BLAH, 95th best D or worse in country depending on your rose colored glasses, BLAH,BLAH, BLAH, no one fears this D anywhere, BLAH,BLAH,BLAH, this is a prevent D at best and even if you call it a 3-4, or a 4-3 hybrid this D puts minimal pressure on the QB which is why we're getting crushed in short yardage passing lanes and why true freshman RB's like AZ gouged us to death!! Questions? Didn't think so...

Please however STOP mixing and misquoting my points to give your weak attempt at football knowledge and your lack of overall understanding of any positions a voice! A DE can be 6'6 + a DT needs to be shorter with better leverage and be able to get under pad level consistently. AA and Buckner are DE's it's okay for me to think their height is great until we play them as DT's or for goodness sakes at the NG position. You don't and can't win a championship with a D this poor and this team has to get over that hump. Getting a new defensive scheme at worst can't be worse than this crap, + something tells me a new D philosophy might just appeal to the DT's we haven't been able to land before cause they might be used properly for once!

On a side note, should we take notice of the fact you're sizing up players by how attractive they are, while the rest of the board is discussing defensive schemes and players roles, wins and losses, you're however noticing some DT's eye color and oddly projecting those "Stomp Points of Interest" on someone else? I don't think anyone on this board knew what Vanderchicken's eye color was but oddly you knew that little nugget. That and the fact you've said I was BUTT HURT numerous times before and seemingly have crushes on players... hmmm.. Odd statements to another male you've never met! No judgment.....:dunno: just an interesting tell on your part! Project much?

I'm sure a person who calls himself STOMP doesn't in fact own the box set of Mad Max movies with the matching chaps, probably hasn't named his dog ZED and probably SHOULD have thought this through a little better, huh Mouth?

Anyway.... Swim Block has left for today...

Go Ducks!

Last edited: Oct 6, 2014
  11. STOMP

STOMP mere fan

I backed up my points just fine, you're just :MARIS61: as per usual. Yet another unhinged freak out about the DLine derailing a thread, this time about the HC who coaches the Offense. Your current oft repeated claims about DLineman are completely at odds with what you were selling us just as obnoxiously 2 years ago. But no matter, today you're right and everyone who disagrees deserves to be insulted. ESPN, Duck coaches, & of course me. 4 NT signed in 4 years? Yeah that sounds about right as the general recruiting goal is to get about one guy per spot per year, just like at QB.

The way you went on & on & on & on about Eddie V is matter of public record and speaks for itself. I made note back then that to accommodate adding the 6'3 EV was when you completely changed your tune about how the entire Duck line had to be over 6'6. Back in those days I was having to point out that they continued to recruit kids under 6'6 to counter your nonsense that that was a good thing/the way it was/everybody better get used to it! These days I'm still having to point out the many sub 6'6 kids they recruit, but now it's to counter your ridiculous claims that they don't do it and it's a bad thing. While your views have completely flip flopped, reality hasn't changed much for Oregon coaches. Regardless of what they're labeled, they still target long tall kids for their two DLine spots which line up outside of the NT. I'm sure they'd love to play tall stocky athletic kids in those spots too like they did in the Rose Bowl vs Wisconsin, but those types are easier to build then sign straight out (see Deforest Buckner)... not a whole lot of D1 DTs coming out of the NW. I'm sure if they had their druthers, the kids they land wouldn't necessarily be the same ones that are signed. You win some, you lose some, but for the record, 6'0 335 Daylon Mack was one of their earliest offers this cycle. Offers for Jacob Daniel, Kahlil McKenzie & Rasheem Green came shortly there after. Green, Neville Gallimore & possibly Terry Beckner Jr are all coming on OVs & of course Rex Manu was already here. The amount of facts that fly in the face of your oft relayed expert insights are just so overwhelming

I've said you shared EV's butt hurt exactly 1 time... I know this because I've only used that expression 1 time in my life. I've heard it used many times and never really thought of it as a gay slur, apparently neither does Urban Dictionary. Regardless, I see you're trying to shut down yet another thread, this time with the Targus tact... never mind my Jessica Alba line, speculate away

STOMP

Last edited: Oct 7, 2014
  12. 1honestfan

1honestfan Member

Thank you for pointing this out. The only thing that I want to add to this with is the fact that both Frost and Helfrich worked under Kelly and his system was implemented; why the hell they (Frost, Helfrich, Pellum) went away from that system in games is beyond me.

13. 1honestfan

1honestfan Member

I agree. As stated in my last post (Before seeing this one), I just don't understand why the coaching staff totally abandoned (What appears) everything Chip had installed. Just to be clear, I am not asking Helfrich to be a Chip Kelly but I am asking him to trust that process buy into that process, and to maintain that process.

14. 1honestfan

1honestfan Member

That's awesome. :-)

15. tlongII

tlongII Legendary Poster

Systems Analyst
    Specifically what is it about Kelly's system that they have gone away from?

16. Quack U!

Quack U! Member

They are indecisive in the RED ZONE, have been conservative on 4th downs where Kelly would have gone for it, and the offense never started this slowly under Kelly with this much talent in the 1st quarter!

17. MickZagger

MickZagger Well-Known Member

UPS
    Nowhere near as a imaginative with the play calling offensively.

18. 1honestfan

1honestfan Member

Agree.

19. 1honestfan

1honestfan Member

Agree with as well but also want to add lack of rhythm as well.

20. STOMP

STOMP mere fan

not as many healthy 1st & 2nd string OLineman is my main gripe. Hard to read much into the play calling when opponents are dominating the line of scrimmage.

STOMP