Good Helfrich read

Discussion in 'Oregon Ducks' started by STOMP, Oct 1, 2014.

1. STOMP

STOMP mere fan

bump! So much insight and wisdom in this thread...

[​IMG]

STOMP

Last edited: Nov 2, 2014
  2. Quack U!

Quack U! Member

Someone explain the theory on the apathetic 3rd down D for the whole year whenever it's convenient? Sure blame the LB's and in space tackling all you want. Yet it seems convenient to forget to accurately assess that when we actually apply consistent pressure from the D line great things happen! Did Pellum notice? Otherwise average QB's like Hogan, Geoff, Hundley and the freshman from AZ look like All American's against us do to their pocket comfort and/or ability to run on our super soft prevent D!

That's a coaching philosophy and not the players, cause the D seems to react quite well when prevent is flushed for the shutting down philosophy.

3. STOMP

STOMP mere fan

So headed for the inaugural playoffs & being favored to win a championship by at least one oddsmaker and you're sticking to your guns that the coaches need to be fired? Really? With egg all over your face, instead of admitting the obvious (that you were completely wrong again) you're trying to look down your nose and go on the attack :rotfl:

the jokes are stale as a Mojave cowchip but comedy is all you've got

STOMP

Last edited: Nov 3, 2014
  4. Quack U!

Quack U! Member

Our 3rd down D has been awful all year! It's been the glaring weakness! I don't think Pellum is a great D coordinator and spotting any team points playing WEAK PREVENT in the first half so you can make adjustments seems like a waste of a half to me! I think our offensive side of the ball and our secondary and special teams coaches are great! Our D line coach and D coordinator are weak links and no one would dispute that!

But back the Specific Question....

Focus now Sparky the question was 3rd down defense. It's a specific question and instead of making another sweeping STOMPING mistake in your retort as usual try reading the question and for once answering it!

Hell for your never played football mind, let's just look at the defense as a whole...... Here's one to think about Mouth......

"Jason Quick of The Oregonian laid out the problems the Oregon defense is going to have convincing the College Football Playoff committee of their right to play for a title. The Ducks’ defense is allowing more passing yards per game (290), yards per carry (4.4), and points scored (26) than any National Championship winner in the last 10 years. There is no doubt that their high octane offense is impressive, but members of the playoff committee are going to want to see a complete team, one that’s competitive on both sides of the ball.
    "

Would you like to take a crack at that?

Actually don't..... Every time you answer anything about actual football knowledge or play we all become dumber! Just stick to attacking poster anonymously and patting yourself on the back for doing so!

Last edited: Nov 4, 2014
  5. STOMP

STOMP mere fan

true

so completely ridiculous on it's face yet so sincere. FYI you're not close to being in the majority opinion with this annual fire the coaches stuff, you're way way out on the lunatic fringe. Coaches who win year after year don't get fired, they get big new contracts.

you attempting to talk down to anyone is good times!

why did you put quotes around this? Like most things you type it makes zero sense. 2nd why in the world would you think anyone respects what Jason Quick has to say? How can anyone who follows Oregon sports not know that Quick is despised as a smug lazy POS by many to most. Might as well quote George Bush. Last question, why should I answer any of your questions when you avoid all of mine?

so to sum things up, the professionals who make their living off of predictions are laying odds that Oregon is the favorite to win the National Championship but you think they should fire their coaches and back up that opinion with Jason Quick's latest drivel. :roflmao:

So so sorry that your hoped for record of 7-5 is no longer possible

STOMP

Last edited: Nov 4, 2014
  6. Quack U!

Quack U! Member

Only two stats you need to be silenced yet again:

103rd ranked total defense in the country sitting between UMASS and South Carolina.

114th ranked 3rd down D in between Iowa St and Purdue.

These are NCAA rankings as of this year a week ago...

Our offense is being asked to do to much and be perfect while the D shows up in spurts at best. Next year when we don't have the greatest QB in the nation, the spotlight will be glaring on Pellum's D to anti up.

If we didn't have Dargan, Big Buck, Ifo and Hill we'd have lost 2 more games this year for sure. They are winning on athleticism and talent, not scheme and that's clear. 3 of the 4 of these players will be gone next year.

Now there is monster room for improvement here, having arguably the best offense in the country our D is quite AVERAGE to BELOW! Who would not agree with that? The above stats prove that. I don't think it's our players, I think it's the D scheme and two coaches Aiken who can't recruit or coach a great D line with the kind of talent he has; and Pellum who's in over his head coaching prevent every 1st half of every game trying to figure it out on the fly. Pellum is a good guy, but he's not ready for the level this team has become or the level it will be yearly hence forth.

"so completely ridiculous on it's face yet so sincere. FYI you're not close to being in the majority opinion with this annual fire the coaches stuff, you're way way out on the lunatic fringe. Coaches who win year after year don't get fired, they get big new contracts. "

Head coaches yes I would agree....

However defensive and offensive coordinators come and go on great teams all the time, Kiffin to Bama, Stoops back to OK to name a couple. With the kind of athletes Oregon is recruiting now, being 100 or worse on multiple categories of defense just wont cut it as a DC for a top 10 program. Aliotti was retired for us to get better, not worse. At the end of the year Helfrich will sit down and look at defensive stats of Pellum's and some tough decisions will be hashed out. Helfrich is smart enough to know that Marcus, Royce and a potent offense is carrying this team this year and the nation knows it too! Marcus's and Royce's don't grow off trees, but sub par D coordinators do and are easily replaced. Oregon will have the pick of the litter for great DC's, with the kind of talent and resources this school has, it's a no brainer. Do you really think Helfrich is going to risk his job for Pellum's? Next years schedule is BRUTAL a top 50 D at the least is needed!

Defense wins championships STOMP, get a clue!

"so to sum things up, the professionals who make their living off of predictions are laying odds that Oregon is the favorite to win the National Championship but you think they should fire their coaches and back up that opinion with Jason Quick's latest drivel."

I was talking about 3rd down defense, you are talking of championships, odd makers and the rest of your attacking ill prepared dribble... very different thoughts; which is why when you attack perhaps you could learn to comprehend the question first. It helps the debate when you're on point for once!

As always Stomp you couldn't answer my question, yet you're the only poster here looking to start static on a pure football question.

"you attempting to talk down to anyone is good times!"

If you mean "anyone" = poster who STOMPS into a debate without fact or reasonable opinion who likes to slam others meaning "YOU", than you are correct! As for the other imaginary "anyone's" out there that you seem to feel have alliance with you in your gorilla style daily personal attacks; I'd say that's a discussion for your therapist and your never ending supply of paliperidone palmitate, because these "anyone's" are not on this site they appear to be in your head!

7. STOMP

STOMP mere fan

You've never silenced anyone silly. I've answered your questions plenty of times, but have learned my lesson. So funny that you accuse me of doing the ostrich act of sticking one's head in the sand to avoid questions as thats always been your calling card. Either you can't or refuse to comprehend anything outside your wild theories, so why bother answering nonsensical questions that only lead to more nonsensical questions? Another season of your stuff being proven completely wrong by results brings another season of doubling down on befuddled bluster instead of just acknowledging the obvious. Wrong on the W-L predictions, wrong in recruiting predictions, wrong on predictions calling for coaches head's. Now you're telling us that Pellum will be replaced this offseason... yet another prediction that stands no chance

the only posts I regularly mock are yours, yet you try to spin it that I'm personally attacking everyone left and right :lol: Misery loves company but you're on an island. How many other Duck fans are hoping they lose the next 4 games? Rooting for failure with your "hoped for 7-5" so that the annual coaching overhaul you clamor for year round is just surreal. Regardless of the sport, I've never ever heard of any other fan rooting for their wild personal theories prevailing at the expense of the team's success, especially since Oregon has a legit shot at winning it all. Bizarro world

STOMP

Last edited: Nov 6, 2014