Politics Good people vs bad people

Discussion in 'Blazers OT Forum' started by MARIS61, Jan 5, 2019.

1. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

Acting in self defense is not the same as wanting to kill/hurt someone.

Were they actively out looking for that or do they simply have a standard or line they will not let others cross when it comes to invasion of privacy and compromise of ones own safety and security in thier home?

If someone is stupid enough to attempt to rob a home, they are also making a choice to put their life in danger of retaliation.
    When someone else puts you In that position, I'm sorry, I'm not going to assume he just wants a sandwich and means me no harm.

To think there isn't a high probability the criminal doesn't want to be caught and might try to rid the scene of evidence, which includes my heart pumping, is not wise and im going to act first to avoid being wrong.

Its them or me and they have proven they have no regard for my property, possession or safety aNd they have proven they are reckless enough to Put themselves in a dangerous situation. I can only assume he is also willing to go further.

Not gonna let it happen. Its them first

Sorry.

2. Lanny

Lanny Original Season Ticket Holder "Mr. Big Shot"

Elec. & Computer Engineer OSU Computer Science PSU
    Stars?

3. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

And for the record, i do not own a gun.

Lanny likes this.
  4. Chris Craig

Chris Craig (Blazersland) I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

No

5. Chris Craig

Chris Craig (Blazersland) I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

D man, if someone points a gun at somebody, they may not deserve to die, but they put themselves in a situation in which they might.

Is the person with the gun always a bad person? No. Desperation can cause people to to do bad things. To make bad choices. Just as his desperation led him to point a gun at someone, her desperation and perhaps self preservation( and maybe other factors) led her to shoot him.

6. Chris Craig

I don't need one or possess one either. I still lock my doors. I have had my car stolen more than once. I have had people try and enter my house.

I have insurance. My stuff is replaceable. I lock my car because I don't want it stolen again. Yeah they can break a window. Insurance will pay for that. I have added a steering wheel lock. My car hasn't been stolen since.

Someone tried to come into my house one night around 1 am. My wife forgot to lock the door on the way to bed. I was still up. He walked in. I heard him. When he saw me he fled. Other people have opened my door and attempted to enter. I lock my door now. Not out of fear. Not even to protect my belongings. To protect my son. He is only 6.

I wouldn't kill someone if they broke in and refused to leave. I would subdue them. They might get hurt. I wouldn't kill them though. I would then call the police and take it from there.

I do agree I wouldn't take someones life if I didn't have to...especially over material things. If someone had a gun pointed at me, and I did have a gun...I don't know what my reaction would be.

7. Chris Craig

How do you know you don't die? Because you have been in a situation where you didn't? Maybe there comes a time where it does end with you dead because you played it out that way hoping he would decide not shoot you instead of taking action. Maybe you saw his face and can indentify him. Maybe he can't have that.

Yes it is always ideal to de-escalate and keep the situation calm, but it doesn't always work that way. You have to be ready for it not to work that way.

8. Chris Craig

That formaldehyde man

9. MarAzul

MarAzul LongShip

Life is good!
    Perhaps not, but the action may dictate the result.

10. CupWizier

CupWizier Well-Known Member

retired
    Nice try little guy. My mother passed away when I was 37 years old which is 27 years ago.

What I find interesting is all the confrontations you have had while I have had zero. Maybe it's you and your actions that draw those kind to you. Just like lanny mentioned earlier, I grew up in a household that seldom locked the doors and often during the summer time would just have the screen door shut to allow cool air into the house. Never an incident. Do you wear your George Zimmerman merit badge around while trying to intimidate people with carrying a gun.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
  11. Lanny

Not much to clean in Tennessee. Most people there don't have a lot of teeth.

Dougnsalem likes this.
  12. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

If you're trying to convince me to purchase a gun.... You didn't...

And I would still follow my steps.

13. Chris Craig

Oh I'm not

14. MARIS61

MARIS61 Real American

retired Yankee
    https://www.foxnews.com/us/hatchet-thief-oregon-store-clerk-gun

Hatchet-wielding thief backs down when store clerk pulls out gun - but firearm costs employee his job
    By Robert Gearty | Fox News

Convenience store clerk draws gun, calls 911 on would-be hatchet wielding thief

Oregon authorities are seeking a would-be thief who was armed with a hatchet when he tried to rob a convenience store, only to flee when the clerk drew a gun and called 911.

However, the clerk's quick thinking cost him his job, with the president of Plaid Pantry in Oak Grove explaining to local station KOIN-TV that the chain has a zero-tolerance policy for weapons.

He said employees are trained to de-escalate robbery situations to avoid injury, according to the station.

The Clackamas County Sheriff’s Office on Friday released surveillance video of the incident which took place April 28 at the store, seeking tips in identifying the suspect who fled empty-handed and without the 12-inch hatchet.

[​IMG]
    Image from surveillance video showing a convenience store in Oregon pulling out a gun on a masked would-be robber who had a hatchet. (Clackamas County Sheriff's Office )

“We’d like to reunite you with the hatchet you left behind after the clerk responded with a handgun and a 911 call and you fled the scene,” Sgt. Marcus Mendoza said in a news release.

Mendoza said the suspect placed the hatchet on the counter and reportedly telling the clerk, “I’m sorry. I’ll leave."

"The suspect got on his knees with his hands in the air, then abruptly fled the store," he said.

bodyman5000 and 1 likes this.
  15. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

This makes no sense.

Walking down the street is not a crime. It is also not a breaking into a private residence or trespassing.

Completely illogical post barfo....

MARIS61 likes this.
  16. Lanny

Perhaps a little context would help.

17. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

Not sure what you mean? my post or his?

18. Lanny

The context leading up to his post.

Orion Bailey likes this.
  19. bodyman5000 and 1

bodyman5000 and 1 Lions, Tigers, Me, Bears

Fuck his job. Has his life. Wish the kid that died here a few years ago because he couldn't open the safe at the liquor store he worked at was still alive.

MARIS61, MarAzul and Chris Craig like this.
  20. MARIS61

MARIS61 Real American

retired Yankee
    What Do CDC's Surveys Say About the Frequency of Defensive Gun Uses?

Gary Kleck
    Florida State University - College of Criminology and Criminal Justice

Date Written: July 11, 2018

Abstract
    In 1996, 1997, and 1998, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) conducted large-scale surveys asking about defensive gun use (DGU) in four to seven states. Analysis of the raw data allows the estimation of the prevalence of DGU for those areas. Data pertaining to the same sets of states from the 1993 National Self-Defense Survey (Kleck and Gertz 1995) allow these results to be extrapolated to the U.S. as a whole. CDC’s survey data confirm previous high estimates of DGU prevalence, disconfirm estimates derived from the National Crime Victimization Survey, and indicate that defensive uses of guns by crime victims are far more common than offensive uses by criminals. CDC has never reported these results.