Gooden to Golden State?

Discussion in 'Cleveland Cavaliers' started by bronbron23, Jul 30, 2007.

1. bronbron23

bronbron23 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">According to HoopsWorld, the Cleveland Cavaliers and the Golden State Warriors have recently had discussions about a possible Drew Gooden trade.

Moving Gooden would give the Cavaliers the opportunity to re-sign free agents Anderson Varejao and Sasha Pavlovic and still have breathing room under the salary cap.

If Golden State uses the exception created from the Jason Richardson trade on draft night to absorb Gooden's salary, Cleveland would not have to take back any salary, meaning both teams win in the trade.</div>

source

2. bronbron23

How reliable is hoopsworld? I don't think this will happen unless Cavs seriously get something good in return Gooden has been quite solid for them.

3. Voodoo Child

Voodoo Child Can I Kick It?

<div class="quote_poster">bronbron23 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">How reliable is hoopsworld? I don't think this will happen unless Cavs seriously get something good in return Gooden has been quite solid for them.</div>

If the Cavaliers get a player back in return, then it defeats the purpose of making a trade to clear up room for Anderson Varejao.

They'd be given a trade exception, which is essentially mobile cap room. It'd allow them to give Varejao the deal he wanted and use their MLE without having to pay too much over the luxury tax.

4. bronbron23

<div class="quote_poster">Voodoo Child Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">If the Cavaliers get a player back in return, then it defeats the purpose of making a trade to clear up room for Anderson Varejao.

They'd be given a trade exception, which is essentially mobile cap room. It'd allow them to give Varejao the deal he wanted and use their MLE without having to pay too much over the luxury tax.</div>

Ah yeh ok, but couldn't they get a small contract in return on top of the trade exception?

This would leave Varejo starting right? I'm not liking this idea of Gooden leaving.

5. Voodoo Child

Voodoo Child Can I Kick It?

<div class="quote_poster">bronbron23 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Ah yeh ok, but couldn't they get a small contract in return on top of the trade exception?

This would leave Varejo starting right? I'm not liking this idea of Gooden leaving.</div>

Yeah, Varejao would start. I don't like the deal either. I'm just saying that's the logic behind the proposed deal.

As for a small contract player, unless it's a sign-and-trade for Matt Barnes, then all Golden State has in terms of small contracts is Kelenna Azubuike, Monta Ellis, Marco Belinelli, and Patrick O'Bryant. The first three are practically untouchables for the Warriors and I don't think anyone really wants O'Bryant. Maybe they could throw in next season's first rounder with a lottery protection.

6. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

<div class="quote_poster">Voodoo Child Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Yeah, Varejao would start. I don't like the deal either. I'm just saying that's the logic behind the proposed deal.

As for a small contract player, unless it's a sign-and-trade for Matt Barnes, then all Golden State has in terms of small contracts is Kelenna Azubuike, Monta Ellis, Marco Belinelli, and Patrick O'Bryant. The first three are practically untouchables for the Warriors and I don't think anyone really wants O'Bryant. Maybe they could throw in next season's first rounder with a lottery protection.</div>

Yep. I could see the W's adding POB or a second round pick but Mullin has been very stingy and he won't give up a first round pick nor any of the cheap prospects hes acquired. He knows the Cavs need to get rid of salary instantly and the only other team in the league with a comparable TE is the Suns, who definitely aren't taking Gooden since they won't even shell out the cash for their own late first round picks. Cleveland can take whatever crap Mullin offers and keep Varejao and Pavlovic or they can let the two walk (or eat tons of luxury tax).

7. bbwchingy0007

bbwchingy0007 BBW Member

I'm not liking this idea at all. If we give up Gooden and get nothing back, this trade would be stupid, in my opinion. Yes, we'd be able to re-sign Varejao comfortably, but then Varejao would have to start at Forward. From his idiotic play in the Finals, we can see that his basketball IQ is not high enough for him to be relied upon as a starter yet. His style of play is better suited to short bursts of energy, and he really helps in that respect.

Conversely, Gooden is probably one of the more underrated players in the League. He is a night-in-night-out double-double threat, and is one of the rocks in the Cleveland team. Whilst I wouldn't be devastated to see him go, I would like to see the Cavs gain something worthwhile for him.

8. The One & Only

The One & Only JBB The Orlando Tragic

What puzzles me isn't the Cavs point of view, it's the Warriors. Gooden would get eaten alive in Nelson's system. He can't play in a run-and-gun situation.

9. The Dream

The Dream mama there goes that man!

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">I'm not liking this idea at all. If we give up Gooden and get nothing back, this trade would be stupid, in my opinion. Yes, we'd be able to re-sign Varejao comfortably, but then Varejao would have to start at Forward. From his idiotic play in the Finals, we can see that his basketball IQ is not high enough for him to be relied upon as a starter yet. His style of play is better suited to short bursts of energy, and he really helps in that respect.

Conversely, Gooden is probably one of the more underrated players in the League. He is a night-in-night-out double-double threat, and is one of the rocks in the Cleveland team. Whilst I wouldn't be devastated to see him go, I would like to see the Cavs gain something worthwhile for him.</div>

I agree....I think Varejo is a nice piece, but for a team lacking in offensive production I think this is a bad move for Cleveland....Gooden provides some scoring ability...they're stupid if they overpay Varejo, just like they did with every other player on the roster not named Lebron.