Goodrow rumored to be getting

Discussion in 'New York Rangers' started by mrmel29, Jul 19, 2021.

1. kreidertime

kreidertime Well-Known Member

I'd take DeAngelo. If he keeps his nose clean all year, has a great season, in the off-season they can deal him for a first and a legit prospect.

Ranger71 likes this.
  2. Greyvtrayn

Greyvtrayn Well-Known Member

I could see Gauthier getting a regular spot but feel like his game is best suited for the 3rd line, not 4th and not sure he fits on the Rangers 3rd at the moment.

Ranger71 likes this.
  3. NYR Fan

NYR Fan Well-Known Member

I think perfect world Gauthier is a skilled guy better suited for the top 6 at some point, but agreed 3rd line if you have grit/toughness elsewhere, I don't think he is a fit with us. I also think he is the most likely player to be selected by Seattle. We'll see.

4. Greyvtrayn

Really? You think they'll take Gauthier? He is definitely among the top 3 options for them.

Taking another look at the available list and yeah, it's either him or Blackwell considering Goodrow is a rfa.

The name Geertsen sounds familiar...what was his story?

5. NYR Fan

No way they take Goodrow as a UFA considering there are reports the Rangers have pretty much agreed to a deal with him. So it is Gauthier or Blackwell to your point, and given the potential upside of Gauthier, and the Francis connection, I think they'll take Gauthier. But who knows for sure.

6. Ranger71

Ranger71 Well-Known Member

Geertsen is a Hartford goon/scrub who probably will never play an NHL game(or did he this year?).

7. panzerporter

panzerporter Well-Known Member

Drury tells Rangers fans the team needs to be grittier, immediately makes a move to do so since the Rangers need a few guys like Barclay and there's groaning over half a mil a year for a huge 4th line upgrade? Trouba was signed to address the Rangers glaring lack of physical play from the RD position. Jacob clears the crease, is willing to drop the gloves, is hands down the top hitter on the team and blocks shots like Fox but the focus should be on what has he done offensively - makes perfect sense. I don't see how a player like Gauthier with such anemic scoring ability can be anything but a 4th liner at this time..

8. Greyvtrayn

I just think 6 years (if true) is a long contract for a 4th liner.
    Crease clearing, willing to fight top hitting defensemen on a team shouldn't be paid $8m/yr unless they are also factoring in the scoring more frequently. Not all the time, just more frequently. If $8m per is the going rate for that kind of player I shudder to think what the Rangers will have to offer Fox when his time comes.
    I think Gauthier has shown the occasional flash of a Kreider-lite...very rarely. But he isn't going to become a more consistently productive player on the 4th line here, which is the only possibility for him at the moment.

9. NYR Fan

I would agree on Trouba, he is making about $1M too much, ideally he'd be around $7M AAV +/-. My only point is I am not going to get very bothered by that given he adds a lot to the team with hits, leadership, and toughness. We lack those things, and he adds them.

Would I like more points, sure, but I am not going to formulate my opinion of him based on that (especially since he does not play the PP, and even if he's on the 2nd unit at some point, they see limited PP ice time at best), or that ideally he should make $7M +/-. He adds a lot to the team, and we should recognize that.

10. panzerporter

If you want to make the argument they overpaid Trouba I'm hard pressed to buy it Grevy since Marc Staal stumbled around the ice collecting $5.7 per for years to do none of what Trouba does and score less but was lauded for his incidentals. I'm interested to see how Gallant runs the PP, guys with a big shot like Trouba should be out there.

11. Greyvtrayn

Pointing to another overpaid defenseman doesn't take away a lot from my argument..haha. Staal, while not gifted offensively was a true shut down defenseman in his prime. He and Girardi were constantly matched with the opposition's top line every game. By the end of his time with the Rangers he was half the player he was when given that contract thanks to injuries. Is Trouba worth $2.3m/yr more than what Staal was?

12. Ranger71

Ranger71 Well-Known Member

I understand that was the going rate for Trouba but he's played more like a $5.5m guy so far. Not awful by any stretch but he was a turnover machine the first year and was much better last year. As for the points thing, it's not a make or break thing as he provides other things, but the fact he scored 50 shows he has the ability to at least be putting up 30-35 with the minutes he plays and entering his prime, pp time or not.

13. NYR Fan

6-years, 3.6 AAV, and a 15 team NTC...I think that is way too much for Goodrow.

Yr 1: 750K Sal $1.75M SB
    Yr 2: 2.5M Sal 500K SB
    Yr 3: 5.1M Sal
    Yr 4: 5M Sal
    Yr 5: 3.75M Sal
    Yr 6: 1.25M Sal 1.25M SB
    15 team No Trade

14. Greyvtrayn

Try to trade him to one of the other 16 teams after year 3?

15. NYR Fan

At the end of the day, playing style we need, not going to get crazy over it, but man we gave him years AND AAV AND a 15 team NTC. He pretty much got it all.

16. mrmel29

mrmel29 Well-Known Member

Free agents usually do. And he is a perfect fit for what our team needs!

17. panzerporter

Exactly Mel. Too funny Goodrow hasn't even put on a Rangers jersey and he's already getting killed over a $3.6 mil contract.

18. Greyvtrayn

No one is killing Goodrow...good for him for getting a great deal. I'm excited to see him play for the Rangers. Do you disagree that $3.6M x 6 years is a lot of money and a long time for a 4th line player?

NYR Fan likes this.
  19. Rangers94

Rangers94 Well-Known Member

Depends on the type of 4th line player. If it’s a middling guy who is bouncing between AHL/NHL scratch/NHL then yes. If it’s for a solid 4th line player that brings something the team needs (grit, toughness, experience, face off wins) then not really. I don’t think the money or years is an issue (I wouldn’t have gone over 5 but whatever), the only issue is the NTC. That’s something a 4th liner shouldn’t be getting. I’m curious though, who are the teams he can’t be traded to?

20. NYR Fan

Goodrow may be the 3rd line C, not crazy. I do think combining the years, AAV, and 15 team NTC is a bit much for him, but again not going to flip out over it, and certainly not killing Goodrow. He is a good player and fills a need for this team.