Grade The Pick: Gary Trent Jr. (37th Overall)

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by BonesJones, Jun 22, 2018.

?

What Grade Would You Give The 37th Pick (Gary Trent Jr.)?

1. A

14.5%
  2. A-

5.5%
  3. B+

16.4%
  4. B

23.6%
  5. B-

3.6%
  6. C+

9.1%
  7. C

14.5%
  8. C-

7.3%
  9. D

1.8%
  10. F

3.6%
  1. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

Grade the pick based on the selection (Trent) as well as what it took to get him.

2. BonesJones

I hate this pick for many reasons.

The fact that we gave up two future 2nds is crazy, IMO. But aside from that, there were many players I liked on the board. Alize Johnson was the best high-upside pick. Khyri Thomas was the best ready-now pick, and both are two-way players that were being extremely underrated during the draft.

Based on Trent himself, he's undersized (tall, but his height rounds up and he has short arms), he doesn't have basketball athleticism, and he's a horrible defender (who was partly to blame for Duke playing a lot of zone last year) who doesn't have the wingspan to contest shots. I don't see him sliding to SF, and we didn't need a worse version of Allen Crabbe in the lineup. I don't see the upside, or the reasoning.

Grade: F

Jade Falcon likes this.
  3. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

C+

Why can't he replace Patty?

4. Gronk Brady

Gronk Brady Well-Known Member

A... arguably the best shooter in the draft, with a mans body already at 19... and at 6’6” can play SG or SF... can’t think of another SG prospect with that kind of strength at 19

BigGameDamian and BBert like this.
  5. Rastapopoulos

Rastapopoulos Well-Known Member

Ballin'
    Patty is a totally different player. For one thing, Patty is a real glue player - the team just runs more smoothly when he's out there.

BlazerWookee likes this.
  6. Propagandist

Propagandist Well-Known Member

F. I don't understand why Olshey hates players that can play defense. And again he doesn't help us now, no matter what Olshey says. And why waste future picks? I'm calling it now that if Pat we bring back, Trent doesn't play at all.

BonesJones likes this.
  7. Rastapopoulos

Ballin'
    He's not the player I wanted, and I would prefer Thomas as well, or Melton. BUT: he's fairly likely to turn into an asset somewhere down the line (as Crabbe sort of was, if we'd've traded him before he got the monster contract). The thing he has over Thomas is youth.

Also: presumably we bought the pick just to get him. So it's not really as if there was a pick sitting there. I'd probably rather we kept the TWO second rounders we gave away to get him. Grade: C.

Did NOT like his dad, though.

8. HailBlazers

HailBlazers RipCity

B+
    We need shooters badly, and I love a guy with a chip on his shoulder and high character. Here's to hoping he follows the Curry's and Thompson's of the world: :smiley-beerchug:

Orion Bailey and Wizard Mentor like this.
  9. Rastapopoulos

Ballin'
    Not TOTALLY fair: defense was supposed to be Zach Collins' strong point. And he acquired Aminu and Nurkic, who are top 8 defenders at their positions in the league.

Orion Bailey likes this.
  10. BBert

BBert Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Selfless Public Servant
    C+ Got a guy who fell pretty far from his original projection. Has a skill the Blazers needed to add. Not head and shoulders above several other options. Wish we hadn't given up two picks for him.

11. Propagandist

Propagandist Well-Known Member

I meant guards!!! My fault.

12. KeepOnRollin

KeepOnRollin Well-Known Member

C+ I don't like that we gave up two future 2nds. Those come in handy. But as far as the player, I would have taken him if Khyri was off the board so he isn't horrible from that advantage point. I had a guy I would have taken first so he can't be a super high grade but he is also not near an F for me.

13. BonesJones

Because (sadly) Pat is a better defender.

14. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

Doesn’t see the reason for adding a shooter.

Lol.

I don’t know how you can say he’s undersized either. Maybe for a small forward. His measurements are ideal for a shooting guard. He’s got a solid build to him as well, especially when you consider he’s the same age as Simons.

As for his game, I see someone in between a Gary Harris and a Dillon Brooks. A good shooter that can also post up. This is a projection because he didn’t consistently get the opportunity to do it, but I see potential in his post up game. He’s not going to consistently beat people off the dribble, but he has shown an ability to score on multiple levels.

And I think most importantly, he’s a DOG. That’s something that can’t be coached. He wants the big stage. He wants the big shots. Frankly, we need more players like that.

As for defense, it’s pretty odd that you’d blame duke playing zone on Trent. Have any actual proof of that? Here’s an article saying the primary reason was to protect Bagley and Carter (https://www.theringer.com/2018/3/26/17163732/duke-zone-marvin-bagley-wendell-carter)

I get that you didn’t want him @BonesJones but that doesn’t mean you should steer points just to fit your narrative.

dviss1 and Wizard Mentor like this.
  15. BonesJones

You know how else has a "mans body", is 6'6, can shoot, and is awful defensively? LiAngelo Ball. Lol.

It's weird that you're the one who approves most of Neil's drafting. Is it opposite day? Haha.

dviss1 likes this.
  16. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

Side note:

Olshey mentioned they had Trent Jr. graded pretty closely with Simons but chose Simons because they didn’t project him to be there in the second. They most likely knew the lakers were gonna take him at 25.

17. BonesJones

I don't see the reason for adding a shooter that will give up more points than he scores, and hurt else in every other aspect.

He's going to have to play SF if he's going to get minutes, or we'll have to trade C.J. There's only 12mpg at the 2, and he can't play the one, and is extremely undersized for the 3 (8'2 standing reach). Hell, that's undersized for a SG. Most SGs have a standing reach of 8'3+. He's barely bigger than C.J... Simons has a bigger standing reach.

I don't think posting up a SG will be a part of our offense, nor should it. He might have a decent post-up game but the NBA is a different level, and I don't think he'll be able to bully his way into buckets like he did at the college level. He might be decent at it, but I never see it being a difference maker, or relied on much, if at all.

He doesn't have the quickness to beat defenders, nor does he have the handle to shake defenders, so how is he going to be able to create anything if he can't bully his way in?

Proof? Here's one. I've read a couple more articles somewhere saying the same thing. I bet it's due to Bagley and Carter too, point is that none of them were good defenders. Everything I've read about Trent's defense defines it between "bad" and "horrible", as he lacks lateral quickness, dies on picks, and wasn't a good team defender either within his rotations. The consensus is that he's a bad defender.

I'm not twisting anything. Slightly undersized SG who's too small to play SF and doesn't have the ball skills to play SG, awful defender, and can't do much off the dribble. He's extremely limited IMO, and a lot of the things he struggles with aren't easily improved upon and likely never will be.

Could he prove me wrong? Yes, but unlikely. At least Crabbe had decent length and wasn't a horrible defender.

18. riverman

riverman Writing Team

I like the kid...I was surprised we got him...he has a high basketball IQ...been around the game his whole life..strong...great shooter...take him a couple years to learn the game just like Simons but in the meantime he'll get you a bucket in the corner faster than ET, Mo or Chief...these kids are bottom of the bench until they're not...they get to go up against our vets and learn. Not really expecting either pick to crack the rotation early anyway...for what his role will be next season, I give the pick an A....no rookie deserves an F without stepping on a court in a Blazer uniform in my view...that's just haters hatin'

19. riverman

riverman Writing Team

I watched him play quite a few games with Duke and didn't see any of these deficiencies you're talking about...he's a team player, not a showcase ISO guy..doesn't get winded and stays focused..has a great shooting touch

BigGameDamian and Gronk Brady like this.
  20. BonesJones

I am wondering if his standing reach got messed up (like Pat's did during his combine). Trent's vertical IMO is oversold at 39.5 inches. There's no way his vertical is within 2 inches of Simons. Pat's vertical was messed up too because they measured his standing reach too low (his was more obvious). 6'5.75 with a 6'8 wingspan? Seems like 8'2 is a little short for his standing reach.

I'd be happier with the pick if they did mess it up and he had something like a 8'5/8'6 standing reach. Means he'd be able to contest shots and play some SF.