Grade The Pick: Gary Trent Jr. (37th Overall)

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by BonesJones, Jun 22, 2018.

?

What Grade Would You Give The 37th Pick (Gary Trent Jr.)?

1. A

14.5%
  2. A-

5.5%
  3. B+

16.4%
  4. B

23.6%
  5. B-

3.6%
  6. C+

9.1%
  7. C

14.5%
  8. C-

7.3%
  9. D

1.8%
  10. F

3.6%
  1. JoshuaHall

JoshuaHall Well-Known Member

-0.9 -0.4 -1.3

Those are his O, D, and BPM.

Translation, he's worse than the average player in the league.

For fun, Meyers Leonard's are...

-1.3, -.06, -1.9

BonesJones likes this.
  2. theprunetang

theprunetang Shaedon "Deadly Nightshade" Sharpe is HIM

Also his first year getting any playing time. If you compare him to how he looked on the court when we first drafted him, let's just say that you can tell he is a hard worker. I bet he plays better next season.

3. JoshuaHall

JoshuaHall Well-Known Member

Based on the fact it appears you want him to play 20+ mpg, I'm sure you're not bias. He isn't good, even if he plays *significantly* better, he is still bad. He's also 3 years into the league, it's not like he's just now adjusting to the speed of the game - he hasn't missed significant time to injury. He is what he is - not good. Doesn't take 5 years to see that. Might as well toss Meyers out there, because he is statistically better and has shown improvement at time, just like Connaughton did. Also, Pat improved because he had no where to go but up! He was THAT bad!

BonesJones likes this.
  4. Boob-No-More

Boob-No-More Why you no hire big man coach?

Really? We hadn't noticed.

You are correct. What we need is a BETTER version of Allen Crabbe and Trent Jr. has the potential to be exactly that.

Crabbe's junior year at Cal, he shot .348 3FG% and made a total of 64 3-pointers - this from a player in his third year as a full time starter.

Trent Jr.'s freshman year at Duke he shot .402 3FG% and made 97 3-pointers.

The biggest difference between Trent Jr. and Crabbe are aggressiveness and work ethic. Trent Jr. possesses both. Crabbe Jr. possesses neither.

It really is that simple. You are so caught up in his measurements, you're completely overlooking how he actually plays on the court and what his likely role will be on this team. Assuming he is simply slotted into the Crabbe role, he will be an upgrade. Crabbe's role was to space the floor and knock down WIDE open jumpers, yet he was absolutely terrified of taking a shot with the game on the line. He ALWAYS deferred and treated the ball like a hot potato he couldn't wait to get rid of when the game was on the line. That won't be a problem with Trent Jr. He isn't a shrinking violet like Crabbe. He won't be afraid to take the open shots when they are there.

Crabbe's floor spacing was highly overrated because when it mattered most, opposing defenses knew he wasn't going to step up, that they could just continue to focus their efforts on shutting down Dame and C.J. With Trent Jr., they won't have the luxury of ignoring him when it matters. Leave him open and he won't hesitate to knock down the shot.

Lol, for the 37th pick in the draft. Right. I think maybe your expectations are a little unrealistic. You're letting your emotions cloud your judgement. Stotts tends to bring his 2nd round picks along slowly (Crabbe, Connaughton, etc.), but I predict within two years, Trent Jr. will fill the Crabbe/Connaughton role and be better at it than than either. He will provide the spacing this team needs to take the defensive pressure off Dame and C.J. when the game is on the line. That's a pretty good value for a guy on a cheap rookie contract.

BNM

5. Wizard Mentor

Wizard Mentor Wizard Mentor

Master of Xen Foro
    Your sarcasm is unnecessary, even though it is much appreciated :)

Excellent post, right on the head... except for one thing. Trent may actually play right away. If he
    can shoot 40% from the nba 3, he can and should immediately replace Pat's 18.1 minutes. Pat is
    a smart, unselfish player, but, like Crabbe, not aggressive enough - Trent is.

dviss1, rotary111 and Gronk Brady like this.
  6. Boob-No-More

Boob-No-More Why you no hire big man coach?

I think he will get minutes, but I doubt if he'll be immediately inserted into the rotation. Last year, our 10th pick took a couple months to break into the rotation. Best case, I see something similar for our 37th pick this year. I am confident Trent Jr. will be better than both Crabbe and Connaughton, but I didn't want to oversell the point. Both of those guys didn't break into the regular rotation until their 3rd seasons. So, if Trent Jr. breaks into the rotation during the second half of his rookie year, or at any point during his second season, he will be ahead of the recent trend. And, if he does, it will be because of his work ethic and aggressiveness.

BNM

7. Wizard Mentor

Master of Xen Foro
    Very possible middle of this season, yes.

8. riverman

riverman Writing Team

I'd say money and bench scoring

9. JDC

JDC Well-Known Member

Never been impressed with his overall skill level, but spot shooting, strength, low to% and pedigree--top 10 HS recruit--gives him a good shot to be a role player.

Competitive and hard worker from all accounts too.

10. Hobbesarable

Hobbesarable Cartoon Character

He looked pretty good against Elon in their first game.

He moved well in transition and he is always ready to spot up at the 3-pt line. He is a willing passer and looks to run with the plays called. He also seems the favor the right side of perimeter when shooting from beyond the 3-pt arc.

He definitely needs to work on ball handling and driving to the hoop.

On defense he seems like he is always guarding a guy on the perimeter and looks to rebound strong whenever possible.

I'm liking Trent Jr so far as he might be a steal in the 2nd round. I will continue with my observations game by game. I won't post a video of the findings, however, I will take notes as if I am researching a particular topic and give you snippets of my findings a post at a time. Enjoy!

Last edited: Jun 24, 2018
  11. Driew

Driew Well-Known Member

That works thanks!

12. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

First off, I have 0 emotion tied to a 2nd round pick. Saying that and having Gronk like it is ironic.

He's much better as a SF, due to his strength but lack of lateral quickness, and sure to his mediocre ball skills. Being able to play SF means he'll be a better fit, it'll be his better position, and it's a position of need. Also don't see how we had to give up two future 2nds and cash, that was an overpay in my opinion, they factors in.

Based on hiss standing reach being 8'5-8'6, I give it a C+. I'd he ends up being a solid defender, the grade will be higher.

13. Wizard Mentor

Master of Xen Foro
    So, if he's a solid defender and the best shooter in the draft, you give him a C+.

Mods, please change his name to Bones "Ballbuster" Jones, please. :)

Gronk Brady likes this.
  14. James lamphear

James lamphear Well-Known Member

I just watched Gary 3 full games against NC ST Michigan state Virginia Tech. My opinion is he solid on offense with 3 ball and he is decent passer. His handles of the ball is decent. What i see he not flashed and plays within his self and he makes the right play. He doesn't turn the ball over that is good sign. Defense they only play man just one of those game and he did decent job. His problem is his close outs he gets to high and he get beat on the drive but that can be corrected. Up to Virgina Tech game he was shooting over 50 percent from 3 of ACC games. That game he was 5-10 at 3 with 19 points. My opinion is within a month or less he could be in the rotation. Our style fits him perfectly due we don't run the ball up.

15. riverman

riverman Writing Team

welcome to the forum!

HailBlazers and James lamphear like this.
  16. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

No he’s a bust.

dviss1 likes this.
  17. BonesJones

"If he ends up being a solid defender, the grade will be higher."
    I don't think he will be, which is reflected in my grade.

Wizard Mentor likes this.
  18. BonesJones

How ironic that Gronk liked this post haha.

Wizard Mentor likes this.
  19. riverman

riverman Writing Team

Rookies get tested on defense every game their first season...they have to face someone they've never played against every game...vets know tendencies of players and anticipate....Collins learned a lot last season given some court time....Trent will have a learning curve and adjustment to the speed of the NBA game...that's no knock on him as a talented player though..he has a tough position to defend

20. BonesJones

Of course. Doesn't mean he won't be bad defensively over his career.