Great Interview With Merritt Paulson

Discussion in 'Portland Timbers' started by GriLtCheeZ, Jan 30, 2013.

1. GriLtCheeZ

GriLtCheeZ "Well, I'm not lookin' for trouble."

Gleaming the Cubicle
    Apparently the Mix Diskerud deal was done at a sub DP salary level, and then he asked for DP level money. MLS and the Timbers balked then Mix walked.

Lots of other good info too:

[video=youtube;YV-ES5L00xA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=YV-ES5L00xA[/video]

2. porkchopexpress

porkchopexpress Well-Known Member

Too bad about Mix. He could have ended up as one of the posters on here (or another Timbers forum). He posts regularly on the Yanks Abroad forum on Big Soccer. Maybe we'd get some extra traffic on here.

3. tlongII

tlongII Legendary Poster

Systems Analyst
    Don't we still have an open DP spot? If so, I don't know why Paulsen wouldn't do it.

4. porkchopexpress

porkchopexpress Well-Known Member

Is he worth it? Other than youtube clips (only a couple) and then playing for the USMNT a few months ago I've never seen him play.

5. GriLtCheeZ

Gleaming the Cubicle
    Valencia was signed at less than "young DP" money, so we have at least the young DP slot. Chara was only a DP because of his transfer fee. His salary was less than 200k last season. I remember hearing that he'd eventually not be a DP anymore. Not exactly how that works or when that would happen though. But if we have two DP's (Chara and Valeri) then we just have the "young DP" spot.

I read a quote recently from Paulson where he said something about needing salary cap flexibility going into 2014. I'm thinking he wants to remain flexible for signing a DP from a World Cup team. Just some speculation on my part though.

6. GriLtCheeZ

Gleaming the Cubicle
    I've seen him play a little bit, but not enough to have a real strong opinion about him. I think the fact that he seems to be squarely in the national team picture at his young age was enough for me to get excited about him signing with the Timbers. I heard he plays a more defensive role in his club side, but supposedly the Timbers were going to make him their play maker. I have to admit I wanted the deal to go through mainly because of his reputation.

7. Wheels

Wheels Is That A Challenge?!?!1! Staff Member Global Moderator

thanks for posting this. I heard yesterday there was a good interview with MP but wasnt able to find a link to it.

Also re: DP

I believe we can use the DP slot that Boyd would open up on anyone. I think the "Young DP" just affects how much money is counted against the cap, and it is tiered.

I.E. a Regular DP like Boyd or Valeri can make whatever their contract is, but only $350K of that salary counts against the cap.

And with the young Tiered DP’s (something like lowest tier is 18-21 then 2nd tier is 22-23 or something like that) their Counted Salary against the cap is less. Like $200K or something like that.

I could be wrong but I believe that’s how LA had their 3 DP’s in Beckham, Keane, and Donovan. Also every team that uses their 3rd DP slot, pays a Luxury Tax of some sort, that then is split evenly among the teams that don’t use the 3rd DP as allocation money.

8. GriLtCheeZ

Gleaming the Cubicle
    Thanks for the clarification. I remember hearing all that stuff about the tiers.
    So there is no such thing as a young DP slot, but if you sign a young player to DP level money it counts less on the salary cap. And the salary cap hit depends on the tier the youngster falls into Got it, I think.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
  9. Wheels

Wheels Is That A Challenge?!?!1! Staff Member Global Moderator

haha MLS sure is difficult to keep up with. Allocation money was a whole new beast to tackle :p

10. tlongII

tlongII Legendary Poster

Systems Analyst
    I have read that Boyd says Portland owes him money. I wonder if that's why we haven't signed a 3rd DP?

11. GriLtCheeZ

Gleaming the Cubicle
    I'm wondering what is going on with Boyd, and how it effects the salary cap. I thought his buyout was done and dusted. The Timbers must want him to sign with a team that will pay him closer to his MLS salary so his buyout will be lower or something. I haven't heard any rumors about a 3rd DP.