Greg Oden Blames Blazers' Orthotic Inserts For Injuries

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Haakzilla, Jul 10, 2017.

1. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

Why shouldn't he?

2. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

If you had a chance to make millions and be set for life, would you offer up information that might hurt those chances?

3. andalusian

andalusian Season - Restarted

If I remember correctly - one of the things NO did was revamp the team's trainers - I do not think the team had the same kind of prolonged consistent injuries since - it does not mean that Oden is right - but it is pretty clear that NO was not a fan of the previous regime's training staff.

riverman likes this.
  4. BBert

BBert Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Selfless Public Servant
    Nor was I. Changes were needed and a long time coming.

riverman and Blazer_Hippie like this.
  5. DUB

DUB Da, da da, da dah!

I read all of the original article before I saw this thread, and my takeaway was one of sadness. For Oden on many different levels, for the lost opportunity of the players on the roster at the time; but certainly not for the fans. It doesn't sit right with me to be bitter towards someone about injuries. It comes off as being incredibly entitled. Why don't you all go, and read the whole original article instead of moaning about a couple of lines?

http://www.espn.com.au/nba/story/_/...was-blessing-greg-oden-headed-back-ohio-state

Oden regards himself as the biggest bust in NBA history, and believes that his body let him down. I don't think any of you feel worse about the situation than he does.

Regardless of the cause of the injuries, it is very clear to me that we failed him as an organisation. He was clearly self medicating with prescription drugs, and alcohol. For that to be allowed to happen in a modern sports organisation is shameful. We clearly let him down, and no amount of blaming Oden will change that. I hope we (the Portland Trail Blazers) are better than that now.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
  6. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

Even broken down and out of the NBA he can still bench more than Durant.

Dougnsalem likes this.
  7. riverman

riverman Writing Team

I was more disappointed about the Oden story than any story in Blazer history, and I supported his rehab all the way...he just flat out lost my respect long after leaving the Blazers organization and as far as his treatment by the staff here....imagine if he had no medical insurance at all like most kids that age from the inner city. I hope he's grown up but honestly, I moved on from his storyline same time I moved on from Nate's....good luck to him!

8. Chris Craig

Chris Craig (Blazersland) I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

There is supposed to be something happening, but nothing is happening. Its called the happening.

Oh, and say hello to your mother for me.

SlyPokerDog likes this.
  9. Chris Craig

Chris Craig (Blazersland) I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

Yeah worse then Sam Bowie

10. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

I'm not faced with that so tbh really I don't know. Lord knows the money would change all the lives of the people around me.
    But if you knew me like most people do, I don't lie. I find it abhorrent. Karma is also very real. I have too much integrity. I don't know what I'd do...

11. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

You're assuming. Did you read this story?

"Even while adjusting to the change in culture, Greg successfully rehabbed his knee and played in 61 games the following season, averaging nine points and seven rebounds in 21.5 minutes. He wasn’t dominating like he had in high school and college, but he provided enough highlights to make Blazers fans feel optimistic about the team’s future. It seemed to me while watching Greg on TV that he would be able to recover from his surgery and in a few years’ time could be one of the premier big men in the NBA. But after longing for a veteran role model the previous season, Greg got exactly what he wanted in his second year, only the results were disastrous. That’s because it wasn’t an NBA veteran who took Greg under his wing in his second season — it was his veteran cousin from the Air Force who moved into Greg’s house in Portland.

“If you know anything about guys in the Air Force,” Greg explained, “it’s that they drink a ton. My cousin got wrapped up in the NBA lifestyle and threw parties at my house all the time. So I got wrapped up in it too. When I played well, I’d drink to celebrate. And when I played poorly, I’d drink to forget. That second year in Portland I pretty much became an alcoholic.”

Saying shit like:

“For starters, Portland isn’t a great city to live in if you’re a young, African American male with a lot of money,” Greg explained with an embarrassed grin. “But that’s especially true if you don’t have anybody to guide you. Since I was hurt the entire season, I was on my own a bunch and didn’t have veteran teammates around to help me adapt to the NBA lifestyle.”

NOT taking ownership of his own failures. Blaming others for his situation. Saying ignorang shit like Portland isn't the place for young rich black males... FURTHER FUCKING US when it comes to FAs...

FUCK.

GREG.

ODEN.

12. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

I dont lie either. Neither did he

13. HailBlazers

HailBlazers RipCity

You shouldn't judge when you haven't walked a mile in someone else's shoes, especially ones with shitty Orthotic's.

BBert likes this.
  14. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

Man.... I've been a young black man in Portland with a lot of money (not nearly as much as Mr. Glass). I've also been a young, broke, starving athlete with big dreams.

I've NEVER been an alcoholic and I could tell you some depression stories that would drive you to drinking.

Bottom line:

FUCK GREG ODEN. He quit on our team (by becoming an alcoholic and not working on his game) He BALLOONED to 285 and don't try to call that muscle... And he blames the organization.... NOT himself...