Greg Oden's Farewell Message

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Sedatedfork, Mar 22, 2012.

1. Boob-No-More

Boob-No-More Why you no hire big man coach?

You left out the most important part of that "quote":

"A source close to the situation"

That's not a quote from Oden. The "source" could be anyone. It could have been someone within the organization spinning the situation to prepare the fans for waiving Oden two days later. To make it appear Oden wanted out, not that the team was planning to cut him to clear a roster spot for a pending trade.

And, that same article also says:

"Oden underwent two knee surgeries in February, including a microfracture surgery on his left knee, and it's unclear whether he will be able to play basketball again."

So, which is it? Is the ungrateful prick going to go elsewhere and be the dominant once-a-generation center we were all promised, or will he never play again?

Sorry, I don't consider a self-contradictory article quoting an unnamed source definitive proof of anything. Oden wasn't even interviewed for that article, yet we're supposed to believe the article reflects his feelings. He may, or may not, actually feel that way. The article proves neither. It's pure conjecture.

BNM

2. Nikolokolus

Nikolokolus There's always next year

True story: I was at the airport when Greg left Portland and after he got through security he turned around and gave everyone the double-barrel "FU" shouting "to hell with Portland!!" Pretty damning if you ask me.

3. oldmangrouch

oldmangrouch persona non grata

Lucky for Oden he was a complete flop. That makes him a saint. If he had been an almost really good player (like Sheed), he would be satan incarnate.

4. Boob-No-More

And, based on the standards of our local media, that makes you "a source close to the situation". Case closed, some unnamed person said it happened, therefore it did. Look for your words to be quoted in the Oregonian, on Blazers Edge, in Canzano's column and on Jaynes' blog. That's all it takes around here for speculation and rumor to become accepted as fact.

BNM

5. Nikolokolus

I look forward to it

6. Boob-No-More

Yes, this is your big opportunity to be famous - in an anonymous, unnamed sort of way.

BNM

7. Nikolokolus

The impossible dream. :wink:

8. Boob-No-More

You could be the next Unknown Comic. You could be the Unnamed Source and be interviewed after every game with a bag over your head.

Or you could be the next Deep Throat. Watergate version or Linda Lovelace, your choice.

BNM

9. noknobs

noknobs Well-Known Member

If that makes you feel better... :lol:

I'll go with a source close to the situation over you're weak theory that you pulled out of thin air. The team could have waived him instead of Armon Johnson a short time before all of this. What changed? Why would a team that kept him for 5 years of injuries, suddenly waive him if Greg wanted to stay? It doesn't take Matlock to figure this one out. I suppose the team was selling his house too... part of their grand scheme to make Oden look bad. Jesus Christ.

The fact it's unclear if he can come back, and the fact he wants to return to basketball, do not contradict each other... You're not even making sense.

As for it reflecting his feelings - All it said was he has no intention of playing again for Portland. And Greg even said as much in his farewell message, "as I move forward in a new direction." This isn't an opinion. Sorry you're having such a hard time handling this simple fact.

10. Boob-No-More

Whatever. If you want to believe unnamed sources that have their own agendas, be my guest. That doesn't make the things those sources claim factual in any way. But if that helps justify your hatred of Greg Oden, be my guest.

BNM

11. noknobs

Was he or wasn't he selling his house?

Did he or didn't he say he's going in a different direction?

Denial is a powerful thing.

12. Nikolokolus

I'm willing to call it a mutual divorce at this point. Thank god there weren't any kids or custody issues to work out.

13. Boob-No-More

His contract was due to expire. He just had two surgeries last month. The team was working on trade deadline deals. Do you not think it's possible someone in the organization informed Greg, or his agent, that a trade was in the works that would require waiving him to clear a roster spot?

Again, whatever. I'm actually pretty indifferent on the whole thing. I neither love nor hate Greg Oden. It's very unfortunate that he suffered so many injuries and was never able to live up to his potential. I don't blame him for that. Sometimes bad things just happen. In the end, I'm sure he would have rather been healthy, productive and winning championships in Portland than being constantly injured and having five knee surgeries and enduring multiple unsuccessful rehabs. But, it is what it is. The organization severed ties with him and it's probably best for both parties. Time to move on.

BNM

14. Nikolokolus

I feel like I'm watching the dissolution of an obsessive, unhealthy, teen romance.

For some, the line of thinking seems to go something like this: Portland has been nothing but kind, generous, accommodating and willing to drop everything and lick Greg's butt-hole at a moment's notice, so why doesn't He "love" us back? ...

Well fuck him! I hate that him now and I hope he dies!!

15. noknobs

:ohmy: As a great man once said, link please (if you're referring to me...)

16. C_note

C_note Active Member

17. C_note

C_note Active Member

[video=youtube;fOeehjQfGrA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOeehjQfGrA[/video]

18. C_note

C_note Active Member

So everyone remember Bynum dominating us in the Laker game last night?

Just think, if we had Oden he would've absolutely destroyed Bynum.

19. 3RA1N1AC

3RA1N1AC 00110110 00111001

what a kick in the fucking nuts

20. C_note

C_note Active Member

I know right? Sorry, I can't help but think about it, and if I have to feel this pain, so do you! :P