Greg Ostertag

Discussion in 'Utah Jazz' started by Stockton, May 2, 2004.

1. Stockton

Stockton JBB

Greg Ostertag's contract expires at the end of the season, he has been with the Jazz for 9 seasons. He has good size, and is more than capable of starting. He only missed 4 game this season, 2 to suspension.
    However he did lose the starting spot to Jarron Collins in the season. He is the highest paid player on the Jazz roster, and will want big money again. Utah are likely to make an effort to resign him, but he wont be getting as much money offered as he'd like.

Do you think Utah should resign him no matter what, only offer a strict amount of money or just let him go so they can help Jarron Collins develop and have more cap space for the offseason?

Personally, I think Utah should resign him, even if he comes at a big cost. Quality centers are hard to find, and Utah did not do a good job with Free Agency in the last offseason. He's to much off an asset to let go.

2. 30 standing ver

30 standing ver JBB JustBBall Member

He makes the most money on the team? Wow, but yeah they should resign him just like you said because there so little centers. He's nothing great but is a solid enough player that they should resign.

3. Smooth03

Smooth03 JBB JustBBall Member

Jarron Collins will be a solid center in the NBA any day and to do that he need's playing time to reach his full potential. Greg shouldnt stay if they got plans for Jarron if they dont then they should definitely resign him, he's a solid center.

4. spark22

spark22 JBB JustBBall MVP

I personally think they will handle him about like they did Bryon Russell a few years ago. They will probably offer him a 2-3 deal for about 3 million a year (give or take a few). The Jazz probably won't budge for him, sorta like the Bryon did, he will either relieze that he isn't any better than that deal or go somewhere like Dallas and not get any playing time but money.

I would be willing to have Greg back, but it would have to be a pay cut. I think after the draft we will see which way the Jazz are going.

5. Stockton

Stockton JBB

Greg Ostertag has expressed interest in going to Dallas. He comes from there. They would love a guy like Ostertag, and I think the Jazz may try to work a sign and trade with Dallas.

6. Ed!

Ed! JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting tmac15:</div><div class="quote_post">Greg Ostertag has expressed interest in going to Dallas. He comes from there. They would love a guy like Ostertag, and I think the Jazz may try to work a sign and trade with Dallas.</div>
    That's a good idea, i think Dallas is in need of a center so much you could get either Josh Howard or Marquis Daniels, which either way would give you a lot of young talent.

7. cArMeLo15

cArMeLo15 JBB JustBBall Member

Dallas would be foolish to trade Daniels or Howard for Ostertag.

8. Trip

Trip 2000000000000000000000000

Student
    Ostertag is still a decent shot blocker and rebounder, a great garbage scorer at times. However, he is not nearly worth the Jazz resigning him for a big contract. I'd say that the Jazz dump him and use the money to sign a big-name FA or a few role players. They have good luck in those kind of signings, always getting quality players like Raja Bell and Ben Handlogten.

9. B.e.

B.e. The One Who Score Touchdowns and Spikes Mics

I agree they could spend their money on much more valuble players iff Greg Postertag is making more money then AK47 next year something isnt right.

10. Eclipse

Eclipse JBB JustBBall Member

No way Ostertag should get big money, he's a lacklustre player who is only in the NBA because of his size and there's a lack of quality centers in the league...there are way too many examples of unskilled big men in the league who are just playing in the league solely because of their size

Utah should use the money more wisely towards a solid free agent

11. jbbCourtVision

jbbCourtVision JBB JustBBall Member

^Well put. I agree 100% on this one. There is no way that Utah should overpay an overweight, inconsistent, one dimensional player. Utah should go by the old saying, "Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me". Don't resign unless he comes cheap.

There are still some free agents that will come at a lower cost that would be able to fill the void left by Ostertag.

12. Rave

Rave JBB JustBBall Member

Useless. AK47 plays this position better, regardless of him not having it. I'd rather you guys trade him and then get someone decent from either trades or from the NBA Draft. He's too old and slow for the game now. No way he'd be able to play like Malone does. He should just retire, and go home.

13. InNETSweTrust

InNETSweTrust JBB Philippines' Finest

He's such a butterfinger but still gets his fair share of offensive boards. Maybe because they don't have any options anymore to get the boards except for one or two players. Sign him cheap, or let him walk.

14. DMiles4MVP

DMiles4MVP JBB JustBBall Member

Greg Ostertag is the definition of garbage centers

15. kobebryant89

kobebryant89 JBB JustBBall Member

Wow! I haven't ever heard so many people want to keep Ostertag. He is making $8,570,370 just to stand there and get an ocasional block. He dosen't hustle back on offense, it's more like 4 on 5 on offense. Let some other team waste money on him, he really is not good at all.

16. Stockton

Stockton JBB

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting DMiles4MVP:</div><div class="quote_post">Greg Ostertag is the definition of garbage centers</div>

Could you be more specific as to why Greg Ostertag is a "garbage center"?

17. BallerAK47

BallerAK47 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting tmac15:</div><div class="quote_post">Could you be more specific as to why Greg Ostertag is a "garbage center"?</div>
    Don't pay any attention to him, he is not of this world. LOL

18. Stockton

Stockton JBB

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting BallerAK47:</div><div class="quote_post">Don't pay any attention to him, he is not of this world. LOL</div>

Back when I was a member I wouldn't, but now as a mod I have to make sure everyone follows JBB's posting guidelines. I'll let DMiles4MVP have a chance to explain his/her post more, since I'm trying to promote intelligent conversation in this forum. Otherwise those kind of posts wont stay around long.

But as for Ostertag, here's a good quote that may clear up the situation a bit more.

"By no means, don't think when I walk out this door it's the last time you'll ever see me in a Jazz uniform ... I'm not gonna say it is, I'm not gonna say it isn't. I'm just gonna go see what's out there, and see what's available, and then go from there."
    -- Greg Ostertag April 14, 2004

19. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

The highest salary on the Jazz is actually Tom Gugliotta at $11.6M. If I'm the Utah Jazz, I look to sign one of the better free agent centers available this season. I would go after Erik Dampier or Adonal Foyle, before putting an offer out to Ostertag. They might as well make a run at Okur and Blount as well. The Jazz have a lot of cap space this off-season and their number one priority will be the center position. Collins and Borchardt are servicable big men, but they aren't nearly good enough to be the team's everyday starter.

20. DMiles4MVP

DMiles4MVP JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting tmac15:</div><div class="quote_post">Could you be more specific as to why Greg Ostertag is a "garbage center"?</div>

well since you insist......

1) he ended the season backin up Jarron Collins <- read that more than once if needed
    2) career 5 ppg 6rpg player, thats ok for a bench player but hes been starting for most of his career
    3) carrer .5 apg, translation = he cant pass at all
    4) 57% free throw shooter
    5) overpaid

and for my other reasons, well i've seen him play plenty of times in my lifetime, and lets just say...... i wasnt impressed