Zombie Greg's playing

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by illmatic99, Oct 23, 2013.

1. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

The team had a very specific plan for his rehab, just like I'm sure Bynum has a very specific plan for his rehab. That plan does not include playing pickup basketball with a bunch of schlubs like myself, especially when he's not cleared for full contact.

It's extremely irresponsible to put his rehab in jeopardy by playing pickup ball when he's not ready yet. Just because he feels like he's ready doesn't mean the doctors agree. By not taking the plan seriously, he is not taking his rehab seriously.

2. blazerboy30

blazerboy30 Well-Known Member

I don't agree with the idea of booing him, but what is the reason for cheering for Oden?

3. Boob-No-More

Boob-No-More Why you no hire big man coach?

Actually, it is true. I was referring to what actually happened, not what could have happened. The Blazers waived Oden to clear a roster spot so we could complete the trade with New Jersey that landed us the 6th pick in the 2012 NBA draft.

BNM

4. jlprk

jlprk The ESPN mod is insane.

retired, while you work!
    Correct. He will never play again in Portland. Thread's about nothing.

He played 1 minute, and the refs sentimentally let him travel before dunking. They won't again. He used to take steps here while collectinghis thoughts under the basket, gathering his bag of bones to jump and dunk. All emotion, no natural smoothness.

5. BBert

BBert Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Selfless Public Servant
    same reason injured players are cheered when they get up and hobble off the field/court?

6. Boob-No-More

Middle of his first rehab? I thought you said it was near the end of his first rehab...

Yep, you did. Like I said, he was eager to test the knee. It was a bad decision, but no harm actually came of it. He did not reinjure the knee in that pickup game and did not set back his rehab schedule. Was it an ill advised choice? Sure. Is it reason to boo him. I don't think so, but I generally reserve my boos for the refs.

BNM

7. blazerboy30

blazerboy30 Well-Known Member

I don't see it.

We don't cheer for every player that has had an injury and then played again.

8. jlprk

retired, while you work!
    You've never made a mistake in your life? One that came from wanting badly to play, the opposite of laziness?

9. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

Except I don't personally know what stage he was in. It happened in March of 2008. If you want to go back and see where he was in his rehab, be my guest. He had surgery in, what, October? It certainly wasn't 61 games into his rookie season as you pointed out.

10. jlprk

retired, while you work!
    What? Dennyyy! This guy's lying about liking me!

Stop making fun of me!

11. Boob-No-More

The surgery was in early September.

I didn't say he played 61 games that season, I said he played 61 games after completing his rehab. He did. Even though he put on a lot of weight (mostly upper body bulk he didn't need), that first rehab was really the only successful rehab he had in Portland. He missed the entire 2007-2008 season - that's basically 7.5 months from the time of his surgery to the end of the 2007-2008 season. He played the following preseason and injured his foot on opening night (not related to his previous injury or rehab). Once he came back from the foot injury, he played in every game until he banged knees with Corey Magette in March (again, not related to his previous injury). He came back from that injury to finish out the season playing in 61 games and then played in the series against Houston. Even if you claim he didn't take that rehab seriously, it was successful in that he made it through the first season post rehab without missing any games due to the previous injury.

He then started the following season and was really starting to beast it when he fractured his patella - again not related to his previous injury. It was the subsequent rehabs after that that were unsuccessful - requiring multiple MF surgeries without playing a single game. It was also during those rehabs where he admitted drinking a lot and was seen out partying at all hours.

In the end, it doesn't really matter, What happened, happened and there is no way to undo it. Booing him doesn't solve anything and just seems petty and mean to me. Seems like something Laker fans would do.

BNM

12. brewmaster

brewmaster New Member

According to this article on grantland ( http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id...-overall-pick-greg-oden-injury-plagued-career )

he was already headed down a destructive path of drinking and "doing things I shouldn't have been doing"

It's obvious that Oden didn't take his rehab seriously while making millions of dollars from the Blazers.

That is game, set, and match. And no, that doesn't mean I'm a hater just because I pointed out the obvious.

13. brewmaster

brewmaster New Member

From this ESPN article: ( http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/9519116/nba-obstacles-abound-greg-oden-return )

Oden spoke of a drinking problem he developed while rehabbing in Portland, even using the word "alcoholic."

and

Oden, who has already made about $23 million in his career

So is the limit $25 million dollars paid from the Blazers where you are held more accountable for not taking your rehab seriously while under contract for the Blazers? Anything under $25 million means you don't have to take your rehab seriously?

14. KingSpeed

KingSpeed Veteran

actor
    We waived him after the trades so that we could keep fucking Jonny Flynn and Hasheem Thabeet.

15. KingSpeed

KingSpeed Veteran

actor
    After all, why did we have to clear space on the roster to get a pick?? Makes no sense.

16. KingSpeed

KingSpeed Veteran

actor
    I love you too

17. Yoda_of_the_MODA

Yoda_of_the_MODA Banned User BANNED

The Blazers brought Shawn Williams over in that deal along with Okur, so they needed the extra spot to complete the trade. Which meant waiving somebody.

18. tlongII

tlongII Legendary Poster

Systems Analyst
    You might try reading the article. That statement referred to his depression after his friend died which was before he was ever in Portland. *rolleyes*

19. brewmaster

brewmaster New Member

I did ready the entire article before I posted. The statement refers to him headed down a destructive path of drinking and "doing thing I shouldn't have been doing" before he was a Trail Blazer as well as when he was a Trail Blazer.

Yes or no question: Did Oden's alcoholism while a member of Trail Blazers help or hinder his rebab?

That's a simple yes or no question. Answer it.

20. tlongII

tlongII Legendary Poster

Systems Analyst
    The question is whether or not he has taken his rehab seriously. I submit he does and always has.