Grizzlies/Spurs Playoff Series

Discussion in 'Memphis Grizzlies' started by Voodoo Child, Apr 17, 2004.

1. tidi

tidi JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Ezra:</div><div class="quote_post">Posey's clutch. Maybe not uber-clutch, but he hardly disappears for the end of games.

Gasol should get 30 minutes, no more.

And Watson and Outlaw are on the floor because they defend. As much as I love Eboy and Mike Miller, they can't defend. Not even semi-competently, and not even for short intervals.

Can't make a comeback without getting stops, right?</div>

Frankly I don't think you have seen any match of the series, outlaw and watson were completely lost and didn't do anything worth telling in defense, if you don't believe me just believe the numbers :

Outlaw : O steals per gamer, 1 rebound per game.
    Watson : 1 steal per game.

They just don't defend well. And a watson/parker matchup or a duncan/outlaw matchup is just suicide.

Why gasol shouldn't play more than 30 mn, he is the best rebounder the best scorer and is second in assist per game. He's not tired and should definitely play at least 40 mn.

2. Rudeezy

Rudeezy JBB Senior *********

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Wave:</div><div class="quote_post">I'm sorry, but it was not Jason Williams' fault at all. Sure, he missed the shot, but the play was designed for him to shoot it before the game clock got to 24 seconds. </div>I never said Williams was the reason they lost the game. I also was not referring to his last shot because it was obvious they were trying to get a 2 for 1. I just didn't like some of his decision making. He would come down court and launch an unbalanced 3.
    <div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">
    The shot by Bonzi Wells was a bad shot. To be fair to Bonzi though, you've got to notice that from the angle he caught the ball from, he couldn't see much of the clock. Not only could he not see the clock, but he was in a great position to draw a foul. Bonzi, just knowing that there was little time left but not knowing exactly how much, went for the foul and the basket. </div>How was he going for the foul by fading away? [​IMG] The fact is Bowen is a great defender and I would have went to a more favorable match up.
    Rudeezy, you said that you would not want the ball in Pau Gasol's hands with Tim Duncan on him. Well, Tim Duncan was not playing Gasol first of all. </div>Actually Duncan WAS on him for that play. Sure he wasn't guarding him the whole game but he is always on him in crucial parts of the game. As we have seen in the best, he can't do anything against Duncan.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post"> Second of all, Pau Gasol is not the kind of player you can stop by putting a great defender on him.</div>Thats funny because it has worked for the Spurs.
    <div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Who would you have rather seen take the last second shot? No one on the Grizzlies is clutch. </div>That is a good question. I thought you said that Posey was their MVP? Shouldn't he have the ball than?
    Maybe I should just focus on this series though. The Grizzlies are down 0-3, and no team has ever come back from 0-3. No one expects the Grizzlies too, but if there's one thing I've learned from this season in Memphis it's to expect the unnexpected.</div>So you're still sticking to your 7 game series prediction?

3. Voodoo Child

Voodoo Child Can I Kick It?

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Rudeezy:</div><div class="quote_post">I never said Williams was the reason they lost the game. I also was not referring to his last shot because it was obvious they were trying to get a 2 for 1. I just didn't like some of his decision making. He would come down court and launch an unbalanced 3.</div>

I never accused you of saying that Williams was the reason the Grizzlies lost the game. I don't care what shots you were referring to anyway, because pretty much all of them were drawn up by Hubie Brown.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">How was he going for the foul by fading away?</div>

It's not like he was flying back. He was trying to keep from falling back and take the contact. That's just not how it happened.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Actually Duncan WAS on him for that play. Sure he wasn't guarding him the whole game but he is always on him in crucial parts of the game. As we have seen in the best, he can't do anything against Duncan.</div> What the hell are you talking about? Like I said earlier, Gasol's career stats against Duncan are something like 20/10 in 30 MPG. What shot are you talking about? The only shot Gasol took in the last minutes was when he drove from the three-point line past Duncan in for a dunk. Gasol finished with 18 points, 5 rebounds, and 3 assists in about 10 minutes less than Duncan.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Thats funny because it has worked for the Spurs.</div>

Uh, no. The Spurs handled Gasol in the first two games. I'll admitt that. However, that was all due to experience. Look at Gasol's career. Duncan's never really been able to contain him when he turns to his hook. And last night was no exception. Pau had a brilliant game. You're confusing his lack of playing time with bad play.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">That is a good question. I thought you said that Posey was their MVP? Shouldn't he have the ball than?</div>

Shaq was the Laker's MVP when they were winning titles, but you would have rather seen the ball in Horry's hands. My point is that just because a player is valuable it doesn't mean he's clutch. The two have little to do with eachother. Posey is valuable because of his tough defense. He's one of the top 10 defenders in the league. He provides an offensive spark, but he's not the kind of guy that's money in the bank for the final seconds of the game. However, he would still be my first choice.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">So you're still sticking to your 7 game series prediction?</div>

There's a big point you're missing. Me predicting the Grizzlies in 7 (and to win it all) was just like me picking Michigan State to win the NCAA Tournament. I'm picking with my heart and not my head. If you asked me what my head thought, I would have told you that it'd be a sweep or a 4-1 game series. However, this is the Grizzlies' first ever playoff series. I picked it with my heart. So why not stick with my prediction?

4. Rudeezy

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Wave:</div><div class="quote_post">I never accused you of saying that Williams was the reason the Grizzlies lost the game. I don't care what shots you were referring to anyway, because pretty much all of them were drawn up by Hubie Brown.</div>I never accused you of saying that I said that Williams was the reason the Grizzlies lost that game. So he draws up most of Williams shots? That must take a while.

It's not like he was flying back. He was trying to keep from falling back and take the contact. That's just not how it happened. </div>LOL..watch the reply, it was a fade away. He turned baseline and faded away.
    What the hell are you talking about? Like I said earlier, Gasol's career stats against Duncan are something like 20/10 in 30 MPG. What shot are you talking about? The only shot Gasol took in the last minutes was when he drove from the three-point line past Duncan in for a dunk. Gasol finished with 18 points, 5 rebounds, and 3 assists in about 10 minutes less than Duncan.</div>I'm not going to go into this again, AllNet has already addressed this many times.

Uh, no. The Spurs handled Gasol in the first two games. I'll admitt that. However, that was all due to experience. Look at Gasol's career. Duncan's never really been able to contain him when he turns to his hook. And last night was no exception. Pau had a brilliant game. You're confusing his lack of playing time with bad play.</div>Yea it was due to experience, not a back to back MVP of the League...he had nothing to do with it. Duncan will continue to dominate this match up.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Shaq was the Laker's MVP when they were winning titles, but you would have rather seen the ball in Horry's hands. My point is that just because a player is valuable it doesn't mean he's clutch. The two have little to do with eachother. Posey is valuable because of his tough defense. He's one of the top 10 defenders in the league. He provides an offensive spark, but he's not the kind of guy that's money in the bank for the final seconds of the game. However, he would still be my first choice.</div>You got to be kidding me. The Lakers put the ball in Horry's hands at the end of games. It is more like the ball bounced to him. He has hit clutch shots but the plays were not designed to him. It either went to Kobe or Shaq and they kicked it out when the double team arrived.

There's a big point you're missing. Me predicting the Grizzlies in 7 (and to win it all) was just like me picking Michigan State to win the NCAA Tournament. I'm picking with my heart and not my head. If you asked me what my head thought, I would have told you that it'd be a sweep or a 4-1 game series. However, this is the Grizzlies' first ever playoff series. I picked it with my heart. So why not stick with my prediction?</div>I missing a point. It just looks like a scape goat. If the Grizz win, you can say I told you so. If they lose, it was just wishful thinking but i knew all along.lol

5. Voodoo Child

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Rudeezy:</div><div class="quote_post">I never accused you of saying that I said that Williams was the reason the Grizzlies lost that game. So he draws up most of Williams shots? That must take a while.</div>

Yes, the majority of his shots were set plays.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post"> LOL..watch the reply, it was a fade away. He turned baseline and faded away.</div>

He was pushed. [​IMG]

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">I'm not going to go into this again, AllNet has already addressed this many times.

Yea it was due to experience, not a back to back MVP of the League...he had nothing to do with it. Duncan will continue to dominate this match up.</div>

Yes, Duncan was the MVP. However, he didn't have the effect you are implying. You are hinting that Duncan dominates Gasol just because he's the MVP. Gasol is an All-Star type player as well. You need to recognize his talent. He's never "owned" by Duncan, just outplayed occasionally.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">You got to be kidding me. The Lakers put the ball in Horry's hands at the end of games. It is more like the ball bounced to him. He has hit clutch shots but the plays were not designed to him. It either went to Kobe or Shaq and they kicked it out when the double team arrived.</div>

Haha... that's not the point. I wasn't saying much about Horry. I was just saying that the clutch player isn't always your best player and vice versa.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">I missing a point. It just looks like a scape goat. If the Grizz win, you can say I told you so. If they lose, it was just wishful thinking but i knew all along.lol</div>

Bingo.

Anyway, it was a good series, and I'm glad that the Grizzlies finally made it in the playoffs. It was a sweep, but at least they tried their hardest. [​IMG]

6. Voodoo Child

<font color="Red">***Threads Merged***</font>

7. Rudeezy

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Wave:</div><div class="quote_post">
    Anyway, it was a good series, and I'm glad that the Grizzlies finally made it in the playoffs. It was a sweep, but at least they tried their hardest. [​IMG]</div>That sums it all up right there. The Grizz nor their fans have anything to be ashamed of. They will be back there for years to come.

8. Jerry West

Jerry West JBB JustBBall Member

Any chance of un-stickying this? Brings up some bad memories.