Grizzlies/Spurs Playoff Series

Discussion in 'Memphis Grizzlies' started by Voodoo Child, Apr 17, 2004.

1. Trip

Trip 2000000000000000000000000

Student
    <div class="quote_poster">Quoting Wave:</div><div class="quote_post">Did I ever say they couldn't get beat in a 7 game series? I just said I think they'll win. Anyway, a loss is a loss. The Grizzlies didn't get more of a loss than the Rockets did.</div>
    Actually, in my opinion they did. The Grizzlies lost by 20+ points, and the Rockets by 1 and had a real good shot at winning. However, a loss is a loss, and I won't argue that, but you know that the Rockets played better than the Grizzlies last night.

2. Rudeezy

Rudeezy JBB Senior *********

Come on, Wave. Are you seriously going to bring the Warriors into this? I didn't know you were going to take my words so defensively as I wasn't even harsh.

The fact is that the Spurs took any confidence that this team might have had away, they bullied this Grizz team. I don't know how you could see it any other way. I'm not saying the Grizz can't win a game, but its a bit of a stretch for them winning two.

3. Voodoo Child

Voodoo Child Can I Kick It?

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Trip:</div><div class="quote_post">Actually, in my opinion they did. The Grizzlies lost by 20+ points, and the Rockets by 1 and had a real good shot at winning. However, a loss is a loss, and I won't argue that, but you know that the Rockets played better than the Grizzlies last night.</div>

I didn't argue that. It wasn't more of a loss though. The Rockets didn't only get half a loss for bringing it within one point, and the Grizzlies didn't get more than one loss for losing by more than twenty points.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Come on, Wave. Are you seriously going to bring the Warriors into this? Grow up, I didn't know you were going to take my words so defensively as I wasn't even harsh.

The fact is that the Spurs took any confidence that this team might have had away, they bullied this Grizz team. I don't know how you could see it any other way. I'm not saying the Grizz can't win a game, but its a bit of a stretch for them winning two.</div>

Come on, Rudeezy. I have no growing up to do. I wasn't attacking them; I was saying that we're not like your team, and you don't understand our team. What's so hard to understand about that?

The fact is that you have no idea what their confidence is like, and you have no idea if the Spurs took it away. Winning two games is a stretch? The Grizzlies finished with 50 wins and were 3-1 against the Spurs. I think not having two wins is a stretch.

4. Rudeezy

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Wave:</div><div class="quote_post">The fact is that you have no idea what their confidence is like, and you have no idea if the Spurs took it away. Winning two games is a stretch? The Grizzlies finished with 50 wins and were 3-1 against the Spurs. I think not having two wins is a stretch.</div>You know better than to use that "3-1" record stuff, Tim Duncan didn't even play.

Of coarse I don't know what their confidence is like, its my opinion. That is what this message board is here for, opinions. I'm not claiming to be God, I was giving my assestment of what I am seeing. If you don't like it, fine with me.

5. Voodoo Child

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Rudeezy:</div><div class="quote_post">You know better than to use that "3-1" record stuff, Tim Duncan didn't even play.

Of coarse I don't know what their confidence is like, its my opinion. That is what this message board is here for, opinions. I'm not claiming to be God, I was giving my assestment of what I am seeing. If you don't like it, fine with me.</div>

That's all fine, but teams have to take every game one game at a time. The Spurs could be OVER-confident. One game out of a potential seven isn't that much to brag about. Again, this was a learning experience. The Grizzlies are one of the toughest teams in the league to beat at home. As long as they win just one road game, they have a great chance of winning the series. Everyone's entitled to their own opinion though.

:dancepart

6. Trip

Trip 2000000000000000000000000

Student
    <div class="quote_poster">Quoting Wave:</div><div class="quote_post"> Everyone's entitled to their own opinion though.</div>

Hey!!! That's my word when I talk to you on AIM!!! [​IMG]

7. Rave

Rave JBB JustBBall Member

It's that damn Ginobili, LOL [​IMG] that guy kills anyone every time.

8. Sabretooth

Sabretooth JBB JustBBall Member

My opinion was that Gasol just wasn't ready for the playoff feel. He needed to physically feel the difference in a playoff game (officiating, game-speed) and they will do better in the next game. I was literally saying that they weren't ready for the next game today. It's the freakin' Spurs though. THEY ARE GREAT, that's the only reason I don't give them much of a chance in this series. And it's not just the Grizz, I think the Spurs could beat the everyone except for the Lakers right now. The Grizz need to think this....game 2 MAY be a loss, but it will be physical and it will be close. They need to make a statement today saying they deserve to be here.

9. Voodoo Child

Game 2: Grizzlies @ Spurs

[​IMG] @ [​IMG]

Season Series

Memphis - 3, Spurs - 1

11.3.03: Grizzlies 88, Spurs 80
    12.15.04: Spurs 78, Nuggets 67
    3.1.04: Grizzlies 81, Spurs 80
    3.9.04: Grizzlies 94, Spurs 88

Final Records

Spurs 57-25 (.695) 3rd West
    Grizzlies 50-32 (.610) 6th West

Series Outlook:

Spurs - 1, Grizzlies - 0

<font color="Blue"><strike>April 17th - Saturday - ESPN - @ San Antonio</strike> - Spurs Win</font>
    April 19th - Today - TNT - @ San Antonio
    April 22nd - Thursday - TNT - @ Memphis
    April 25th - Sunday - TNT - @ Memphis
    If necessary April 28th - Wednesday - TBD - @ San Antonio
    If necessary May 1st - Saturday - TBD - @ Memphis
    If necessary May 3rd - Monday - TBD - @ San Antonio

Probable Starting Lineups

<u>Backcourt</u>
    [​IMG] [​IMG] Jason Williams/Tony Parker
    [​IMG] [​IMG] Mike Miller/Hedo Turkoglu

<u>Frontcourt</u>
    [​IMG] [​IMG] James Posey/Bruce Bowen
    [​IMG] [​IMG] Pau Gasol/Tim Duncan
    [​IMG] [​IMG] Lorenzen Wright/Rasho Nesterovic

<u>Sixth Men</u>
    [​IMG] [​IMG] Bonzi Wells/Emanuel Ginobili

Injury Update

Memphis Grizzlies
    N/A

San Antonio Spurs
    N/A

<u>Memphis? Statistical Leaders</u>
    PPG - Pau Gasol - 17.7
    RPG - Pau Gasol - 7.7
    APG - Jason Williams - 6.8

<u>San Antonio's Statistical Leaders</u>
    PPG - Tim Duncan - 22.3
    RPG - Tim Duncan - 12.4
    APG - Tony Parker - 5.5

Key Matchups

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

The Memphis Grizzlies' Bench and the San Antonio Spurs' bench - Memphis' bench was outperformed by San Antonio's bench in the previous game. Memphis' bench has a reputation for being the best bench in the league, and Saturday night they didn't live up to it. Bonzi Wells played great, but the rest of the team had little playoff experience and played terrible.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Lorenzen Wright and Rasho Nesterovic - In game one, Rasho let his experience show. He absolutely dominated Wright. Sadly, Wright is their biggest body inside and their best rebounder. If they just play Jake Tsakalidas, they should do fine. However, it looks like they're going with Wright.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Pau Gasol and Tim Duncan - Pau Gasol was absolutely terrible in game one. He was letting Duncan have everything, without doing anything on the offensive end himself. He needs to become more assertive. I don't expect things to make a big turn-around. Duncan should still dictate the pace of this game.

<u>Keys to the series</u>

Grizzlies

- Get fastbreak points. The Grizzlies win when they take their game to the fastbreak.
    - Contain Duncan. This is one of the biggest cliche?s ever, but it?s a key.
    - Spread the love. The Grizzlies win with great ball distribution. Good luck J-Will.

Spurs

- Endurance. The Grizzlies can go 10 deep, and it wears a lot of teams out.
    - Pressure Gasol downlow. Another cliche, but another key.
    - Don?t make stupid mistakes. They obviously have the advantage, they just need to stay away from stupid mistakes.

Wave's take

I am not going to pick against the Grizzlies in their second playoff game ever.

Grizzlies 88
    Spurs 84

10. Voodoo Child

Game Two: Grizzlies @ Spurs

[​IMG] @ [​IMG]

Season Series

Memphis - 3, Spurs - 1

11.3.03: Grizzlies 88, Spurs 80
    12.15.04: Spurs 78, Nuggets 67
    3.1.04: Grizzlies 81, Spurs 80
    3.9.04: Grizzlies 94, Spurs 88

Final Records

Series Outlook:

Spurs - 1, Grizzlies - 0

<font color="Blue"><strike>April 17th - Saturday - ESPN - @ San Antonio</strike> - Spurs Win</font>
    April 19th - Today - TNT - @ San Antonio
    April 22nd - Thursday - TNT - @ Memphis
    April 25th - Sunday - TNT - @ Memphis
    If necessary April 28th - Wednesday - TBD - @ San Antonio
    If necessary May 1st - Saturday - TBD - @ Memphis
    If necessary May 3rd - Monday - TBD - @ San Antonio

<u>Backcourt</u>

<u>Frontcourt</u>

<u>Sixth Men</u>

Injury Update

Memphis Grizzlies
    N/A

San Antonio Spurs
    N/A

PPG - Pau Gasol - 17.7
    RPG - Pau Gasol - 7.7

PPG - Tim Duncan - 22.3
    RPG - Tim Duncan - 12.4
    APG - Tony Parker - 5.5

Key Matchups

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

The Memphis Grizzlies' Bench and the San Antonio Spurs' bench - Memphis' bench was outperformed by San Antonio's bench in the previous game. Memphis' bench has a reputation for being the best bench in the league, and Saturday night they didn't live up to it. Bonzi Wells played great, but the rest of the team had little playoff experience and played terrible.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Lorenzen Wright and Rasho Nesterovic - In game one, Rasho let his experience show. He absolutely dominated Wright. Sadly, Wright is their biggest body inside and their best rebounder. If they just play Jake Tsakalidas, they should do fine. However, it looks like they're going with Wright.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Pau Gasol and Tim Duncan - Pau Gasol was absolutely terrible in game one. He was letting Duncan have everything, without doing anything on the offensive end himself. He needs to become more assertive. I don't expect things to make a big turn-around. Duncan should still dictate the pace of this game.

Grizzlies

- Get fastbreak points. The Grizzlies win when they take their game to the fastbreak.
    - Spread the love. The Grizzlies win with great ball distribution. Good luck J-Will.

Spurs

- Don?t make stupid mistakes. They obviously have the advantage, they just need to stay away from stupid mistakes.

Wave's take

I am not going to pick against the Grizzlies in their second playoff game ever.

Grizzlies 88
    Spurs 84

11. Rudeezy

Well I expect this game to be a little closer than Game one. The Grizz are hopefully no longer nervous and come out ready to play. I still think that the Spurs will break this game open late in the 3rd or in the 4th quarter.

We will get to see how the Grizz approach this game. Is their confidence shot or will they act like a veteran team and rebound from the blow out game 1?

The key for the Spurs are to get Parker and Manu going again. If they can get in the lane like they did in Game 1 than this game will be over before it starts. I really don't see the Grizzlies having any answer for them. And Tim Duncan, the guy just continues to amaze.

12. Voodoo Child

After one, the Spurs lead by five. The score is 26-21. It's been an up and down game though. For the majority of the quarter, the Grizzlies were winning. Lately the Spurs have gone on a run though. It's been mostly because of Tony Parker's threes. He hit three of them almost back to back. Anyway, the Grizzlies look much more confident than they did in their first game. Confidence killer my ass, Rudeezy. [​IMG]

13. Rudeezy

Don't speak to soon. The Spurs now have an 11 point lead and are about to blow this game open if the Grizz aren't careful. The Grizz cannot hit an open shot, no confidence.[​IMG]

EDIT: I have a question. Why is Jason Williams continuing to go under the screen when Parker has already hit 3 3-point shots? He is getting wide open looks. The Grizz just have no answer for him.

The scary thing about this game is that TD has not even been that big of a factor on offense yet.

14. Rudeezy

After 3 quarters, the Spurs have a 9 point lead. The Grizz got within one point, but the defending champions took the life out of them. Robert Horry hit two big threes and ended up with 8 points in the third quarter. Boy is he clutch in the playoffs. Will the Grizz get blown out in the fourth like I expected or will they fight till the end...we'll see.

-----------------------------------
    As I predicted, the Spurs have blown this game open in the fourth quarter. There is about 8 minutes to go and the Spurs have taken a commanding 16 point lead. With the way the Spurs are playing D, I believe Steve Kerr is right, this game is over.

I think the Grizz might make another run or two but the Spurs are too good and will continue to answer each one with a run of their own.

15. Voodoo Child

Rudeezy, will you please stop your negativity? You're treating them as if they're the Warriors. This club has no history in the playoffs. They're learning every single series. They are playing better than they did last time. They've made it close, but the Spurs have hit some lucky shots. No, I'm not calling Horry's shots luck, but there have been some lucky shots. It's a gradual process. I wasn't going around saying that they'd even out the series. I was going around saying that the Spurs weren't going to win the series and the game as easily as you though. Have you been watching the game? I'm right, it's one hell of a battle, and I still fully expect the Grizzlies to either bring it under ten or win tomorrow night.

16. Rudeezy

Wave, I have just called it as it is. I gave the Grizz credit by predicting they would keep it close until the 4th quarter. Was I wrong in my assesment? The Spurs are up by 24 points! Even Steve Kerr is saying that the Grizz have horrible body lanuage and they look like they have given up. This game is over, just saying it how it is.

Where is the negativity that you are speaking of?

17. Voodoo Child

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Rudeezy:</div><div class="quote_post">Wave, I have just called it as it is. I gave the Grizz credit by predicting they would keep it close until the 4th quarter. Was I wrong in my assesment? </div>

I'm upset with you calling it a "blowout", not with you reporting the score. I realize that they let the lead slide from 1 to 26 in the matter of minutes, but they're an INNEXPERIENCED TEAM. That's the play you expect out of an innexperienced team. They are learning tons every game. They're making progress though. Next game will be a sight to see, especially since it's at Memphis.

18. Rudeezy

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Wave:</div><div class="quote_post">No Rudeezy. You're a regular soothsayer. Who could have possibly seen that outcome coming?</div>I couldn't? Interesting because I predicted it BEFORE the game started.[​IMG]

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post"> I'm upset with you calling it a "blowout", not with you reporting the score. I realize that they let the lead slide from 1 to 26 in the matter of minutes, but they're an INNEXPERIENCED TEAM. That's the play you expect out of an innexperienced team. They are learning tons every game. They're making progress though. Next game will be a sight to see, especially since it's at Memphis.</div>It was a close game until the fourth quarter. If 26 points is not a blow out what is?

I understand this is a young team and that is why I am expecting them to struggle. I have not once degraded them with any of my comments, I just called it as I saw it. I'm not trying to take any cheap shots at them, I don't know how I have done that.

19. Rudeezy

**Spurs @ Memphis: Game 3**

[​IMG] @ [​IMG]

Final Records

Series Outlook:

Spurs - 2, Grizzlies - 0

<u>Backcourt</u>

<u>Frontcourt</u>

<u>Sixth Men</u>

Injury Update

Memphis Grizzlies
    N/A

San Antonio Spurs
    N/A

PPG - Pau Gasol - 17.7
    RPG - Pau Gasol - 7.7

PPG - Tim Duncan - 22.3
    RPG - Tim Duncan - 12.4
    APG - Tony Parker - 5.5

Key Matchups

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Grizzlies

Spurs

Rudeezy's take

The Spurs have dominated the first two games of this series winning both games in blowout fashion. The series is heading to Memphis and the Grizz will come out ready to play. Will the Spurs be able to match their itensity? We're talking about the defending champions, of coarse they will. The Spurs will win this one in a close one and take the 3-0 series lead.

Spurs 94
    Grizz 87

<font size="4">Preview by Wave</font>

20. Voodoo Child

Thanks for posting the preview, Rudeezy. I had a hard time finding computer time. I've got to get off now, but I'm taking the Grizzlies in this one. I'll be at this game rooting them on. [​IMG]