GT: Rockets at Mavericks

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets' started by tracymcgrady_01, Jan 15, 2007.

1. Windmill360?

Windmill360? JBB JustBBall Member

good game, houston. I was surprised that Gundy backed off with 2 minutes left but i guess he was saving it for Phoenix tomorrow.

2. ROCK4LIFE

ROCK4LIFE Active Member

<div class="quote_poster">Blurr#7 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">I have to agree with "Rock4life" we need a second scorer(third when Yao returns) in the worst way. Also Bonzi's loves the post and dallas has no one to match up with him down low.</div>
    Exactly. That's all I'm sayin Blurr....Let Bonzi play. The guy said he's ready and it's up to the coach whether he plays. So why isn't he playin? It's really simple

3. durvasa

durvasa JBB Rockets Fan

<div class="quote_poster">Rock4life Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">
    U guys are sleepin on Bonzi like you did Howard. Go ahead, we'll see what happens</div>

Answer the question. How do you know Bonzi is healthy? Oh, you don't? Then quit complaining.

4. squall15

squall15 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Rock4life Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">...BONZI! Bonzi is the X-factor. But you wouldn't know that, ur a Chuck Hayes fan. Go Chuck!!...</div>

WOW? I don't even know why you bring Chuck Hayes to this. And WHAT'S WRONG BEING A CHUCK HAYES FAN???? The post is too dumb that I don't even know why I'm replying this. And plus, I think I have to quote again cuz you read with closed eyes.

<div class="quote_poster">AznxBaller Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">You don't know me at all! Boohoo. My favorite Rocket is Yao Ming.</div>

There, his fan is not Chuck Hayes. Think before you type. Or you can still use the edit key.

<div class="quote_poster">durvasa Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Answer the question. How do you know Bonzi is healthy? Oh, you don't? Then quit complaining.</div>

[​IMG] Thank you for clearing it up. I thought if Bonzi is healthy, JVG will give him some minutes. Or are you being sarcastic?

5. Flow

Flow ATLiens

Studdying
    What a game by T-Mac, he's back and that's just wonderful to hear.
    I hope that he can continue playing like this all season long (and postseason).

Too bad that we didnt win, though.

6. durvasa

durvasa JBB Rockets Fan

According to the Chronicle, Bonzi's back is pretty much healed. So, where do we play him? Does he take Luther's minutes, Tracy's minutes, or Battier's minutes? Or maybe he takes Chuck's minutes and plays some PF (sliding Juwan over to center)?

Bonzi has been poor defensively for us this season, and for the most part his offense hasn't be very pretty either. Right now, we're trying to win as many games as possible. Do we risk giving him minutes knowing that he'll probably struggle for a while reacclimating himself to the team (as has been the case in most of the games he's played thus far)?

I think one way he could have been useful against the Mavs was to matchup with them better when they went small and subbed in Devean George. We could have tried an Alston-Mcgrady-Battier-Wells-Howard lineup. But, generally speaking, I don't know where he's going to get his regular minutes with this team. Personally, I like how Snyder fits with our roster more than Bonzi. He's a much stronger finisher, and he's a better defender.

7. Adrenaline

Adrenaline JBB JustBBall Member

According to espn.com, T-Mac tweaked his back. Anyone confirm this?

8. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

Or maybe the reason Bonzi did not play is because he is about to be traded? seems very possible.

9. ROCK4LIFE

ROCK4LIFE Active Member

<div class="quote_poster">durvasa Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">According to the Chronicle, Bonzi's back is pretty much healed. So, where do we play him? Does he take Luther's minutes, Tracy's minutes, or Battier's minutes? Or maybe he takes Chuck's minutes and plays some PF (sliding Juwan over to center)?</div>
    So I was right, he IS healthy. I've been sayin this for a week. He's said on multiple occasions that he's ready and "it's on coach when I play". You guys act like him being healthy was a lie, but in reality he's BEEN healthy for a week but JVG refuses to play him. Why wasnt he activated for the Mavs game? This was a game Bonzi SHOULD'VE played in. The Mavs went small (like we expected) and had Mutombo or Hayes on Devon George which niether didn't work. This is why we brought in a SF to match up with Dallas and the other elite teams. Not playin Bonzi is hurting this squad at this point...........

<div class="quote_poster">durvasa Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Bonzi has been poor defensively for us this season, and for the most part his offense hasn't be very pretty either. Right now, we're trying to win as many games as possible. Do we risk giving him minutes knowing that he'll probably struggle for a while reacclimating himself to the team (as has been the case in most of the games he's played thus far)?</div>
    Huh? Right now his role couldn't be clearer. CREATE SHOTS and get to the free throw line. Don't give me that crap about his defense. All that happened in his first couple games. He picked up his play after his minutes picked up, which shouldn't be a surprise. Check the San Antonio game......

NOTE:You guys said the same nonsense about Juwan Howard ("lazy", "washed up" "Bad D") and it backfired, now you've switched to Bonzi. I'm gonna watch this one unfold.[​IMG]

So do we play Bonzi against Dallas so he can match up against their smaller line up? Or not play him and get embarrassed by Devon George? To me that's a no-brainer. PLAY BONZI! Les Alexander needs to sit JVG down like a child and talk to him.

<div class="quote_poster">durvasa Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">I think one way he could have been useful against the Mavs was to matchup with them better when they went small and subbed in Devean George. We could have tried an Alston-Mcgrady-Battier-Wells-Howard lineup. But, generally speaking, I don't know where he's going to get his regular minutes with this team. Personally, I like how Snyder fits with our roster more than Bonzi. He's a much stronger finisher, and he's a better defender.</div>
    Your right.......But Mcgrady-Head-Snyder-Bonzi-Battier would've been better. However, with Mcgrady out we went with John Lucas-Head-Battier-Hayes-Mutumbo, that was exactly when the Mavs caught fire. The importance of having a go-to-guy off the bench is crucial in the NBA. All our guys are spot up shooters, but none of them create besides Bonzi. Snyder is talented, but Bonzi is a better player and should play a bigger role. The fact Bonzi can come in and give Mcgrady a rest gives me comfort knowing Mcgrady's back problems. If anything, I'd of loved to see Snyder get minutes out there too. JVG got outcoached last nite

10. DaRocket

DaRocket JBB JustBBall Member

I'm not disappointed at all about this loss. We proved to be an excellent team staying in the game for 3/4 and a half against one of the top NBA team. Yes, Head, Battier, Hayes did not have a good game at all. Yes, surely we need some help till the day Yao will be back because T-Mac can't make miracles, but why being disappointed? Our bench is short and not that good and we were facing Dallas Mavericks and not Memphis. What did you expect more? And BTW, offense yesterday was not our main problem. Rockets falls down defensively in the fourth allowing Mavs 21 pts in the first 6 minutes which closed the game in advance.

And tonight I'll not be disappointed for a loss against Suns. They currently are our nemesis and we can't compete without Yao. I only hope to see another great watchable game like yesterday against Mavs.

11. umair

umair "Never underestimate the heart of a champion."

<div class="quote_poster">Adrenaline Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">According to espn.com, T-Mac tweaked his back. Anyone confirm this?</div>

Ahh man. I think since his back problems are chronic. A little tweak might happen, but lets hope it doesnt get serious and Tmac keeps on playing the way he is playing. Go Rockets! We will need Tmac to score a lot like he did this game against the Suns! GO ROCKETS!

Also, I just saw on the boxscore that Luther didn't make a three this game. His streak stops at 38! Keep on draining threes Luther!!

12. Trip

Trip 2000000000000000000000000

Student
    Rock4life, I can't help but taking your argument with a pinch of salt. According to you, JVG is the worst coach ever in basketball and the Rockets would basically be a better team with Tim Floyd at the helm.

The Chronicle reported that Bonzi was cleared to play for last night's game. Which means that all your berating before is totally wrong. It's not that JVG didn't want to play him, it's because he couldn't. I won't be surprised if you fail to acknowledge this.

Also, JVG has made it clear that he's being cautious about how he works Snyder and Wells back into the rotation. We had won 9 of 11 before and if we just play those two guys who aren't conditioned well enough 30 minutes a night each, won't you agree that it'd do more bad than good?

Last thing, you seem to bring it up everytime Bill Worrell or Matt Bullard says anything in your argument's favor, but when durvasa brings up pro scouts who call Chuck Hayes "an excellent defender", it seems to not crack your shell at all, because "other people's opinion are moot".

13. The Dream

The Dream mama there goes that man!

Yao = the X factor....with a healthy Yao I like our chances against anyone.

14. elevate

elevate JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">T-Mac can't make miracles</div>

I beg to differ. Does anyone remember Mister 13 points in less than 1 minute?

15. ROCK4LIFE

ROCK4LIFE Active Member

<div class="quote_poster">Locke Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Rock4life, I can't help but taking your argument with a pinch of salt. According to you, JVG is the worst coach ever in basketball and the Rockets would basically be a better team with Tim Floyd at the helm. </div>
    According to who? I never said that, nice try Locke.......

However, what I did say is he's too onesided. Almost all his strategy is defensivley thought out. But he doesn't take advantage of his offensive options. JVG chooses to slow every game down rather than trust his offense to be free. We're near the league's bottom in offfensive posessions, which means we slow the game down. All I want JVG to do is open his mind offensivley. Don't depend on Tmac to win every game. We have offensive weapons, why not take advantage?

NOTE:Rudy T is a perfect example. He let his players play and actually used his rookies. Just imagine if Vernon Maxwell, who helped us win a ring in 94, played for JVG. He'd be buried at the end of the bench[​IMG] Rudy T would've found a wa to use Novak too.

<div class="quote_poster">Locke Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">The Chronicle reported that Bonzi was cleared to play for last night's game. Which means that all your berating before is totally wrong. It's not that JVG didn't want to play him, it's because he couldn't. I won't be surprised if you fail to acknowledge this.</div>
    Incorrect again. I read the Chronicle everyday my friend. The Chronicle reported he was ready ever since he went to see Tmac's back specalist, which was last week. He stated he's "never felt better" and he's "ready to get back on the court". This was before the road trip........You prolly won't acknowledge this

<div class="quote_poster">Locke Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Also, JVG has made it clear that he's being cautious about how he works Snyder and Wells back into the rotation. We had won 9 of 11 before and if we just play those two guys who aren't conditioned well enough 30 minutes a night each, won't you agree that it'd do more bad than good?</div>
    Cautious? Hogwash. Dallas exposed us last nite. We could've used Bonzi out there. Rudy
    <div class="quote_poster">Locke Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Last thing, you seem to bring it up everytime Bill Worrell or Matt Bullard says anything in your argument's favor, but when durvasa brings up pro scouts who call Chuck Hayes "an excellent defender", it seems to not crack your shell at all, because "other people's opinion are moot".</div>
    I've also heard them say he has "troubling finishing", "has trouble with bigger players", and is "offensive liability". Not to mention the praise for Juwan Howard. The numbers clearly work in my favor

16. Trip

Student
    <div class="quote_poster">Rock4life Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">According to who? I never said that, nice try Locke.......</div>I know you never did, but the way you bash JVG is ludicrous. When we lose, it's JVG's fault. When we win, it's not to JVG's credit.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">However, what I did say is he's too onesided. Almost all his strategy is defensivley thought out. But he doesn't take advantage of his offensive options. JVG chooses to slow every game down rather than trust his offense to be free. We're near the league's bottom in offfensive posessions, which means we slow the game down. All I want JVG to do is open his mind offensivley. Don't depend on Tmac to win every game. We have offensive weapons, why not take advantage?</div>You don't think this offense runs smoothly with Yao and TMac both healthy? When we run the pick and roll on the high post, it's damn near picture-perfect, and the offense flows very well through those two players. Even this season when we've missed both our stars for a considerable amount of time, we're still averaging more points per game than the Heat. And they won the championship last year. Before you pull out the fact that they haven't had a healthy Shaq, let me remind you we've missed Yao for 11 games already and TMac is a problem day-to-day.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">NOTE:Rudy T is a perfect example. He let his players play and actually used his rookies. Just imagine if Vernon Maxwell, who helped us win a ring in 94, played for JVG. He'd be buried at the end of the bench[​IMG] Rudy T would've found a wa to use Novak too. </div>I'd say that Rudy T gave his players too much freedom. Find me a coach whose team averages 110 points on offense and gives up 80 on defense. It's pretty much commonly known that no team can be the best offensive and also the best defensive team.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Incorrect again. I read the Chronicle everyday my friend. The Chronicle reported he was ready ever since he went to see Tmac's back specalist, which was last week. He stated he's "never felt better" and he's "ready to get back on the court". This was before the road trip........You prolly won't acknowledge this</div>Did you also not read that he was hit with the flu? The medical staff just said that Wells was okay to play last night. Wells even admitted himself that his conditioning was off. Who's more qualified to make the decisions here, a newspaper beat writer or team doctors?

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Cautious? Hogwash. Dallas exposed us last nite. We could've used Bonzi out there. Rudy </div>We gave up 109 points last night. How many would Rudy have given up, 130?

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">I've also heard them say he has "troubling finishing", "has trouble with bigger players", and is "offensive liability". Not to mention the praise for Juwan Howard. The numbers clearly work in my favor</div>

What numbers?

17. ROCK4LIFE

ROCK4LIFE Active Member

<div class="quote_poster">Locke Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">I know you never did, but the way you bash JVG is ludicrous. When we lose, it's JVG's fault. When we win, it's not to JVG's credit.[</div>
    Not quite....I give JVG credit for bein a defensive minded coach. But that's also his weakness. He's very stubborn. There are times where teams make 3 or 4 different subs and JVG doesn't do anything. Example, the Dallas & Phoenix games where they went small (and we left Mutumbo out there). Coaches like Avery, Popovich & Dantoni all make creative substitutions that change the overrall complexion of the game on defense AND offense. JVG is almost all defense.

<div class="quote_poster">Locke Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">You don't think this offense runs smoothly with Yao and TMac both healthy? When we run the pick and roll on the high post, it's damn near picture-perfect, and the offense flows very well through those two players. Even this season when we've missed both our stars for a considerable amount of time, we're still averaging more points per game than the Heat. And they won the championship last year. Before you pull out the fact that they haven't had a healthy Shaq, let me remind you we've missed Yao for 11 games already and TMac is a problem day-to-day.</div>
    No, I don't think the offense runs smooth with Yao & Tracy out there. I would like to see more movement and backscreens for our other players. Ultimatley it'll give Yao easier buckets! There are too many stretches that we look stale on offense. Too much standing around waiting for Yao or Tmac to create. We need more creative ways of scoring on offense.

<div class="quote_poster">Locke Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">I'd say that Rudy T gave his players too much freedom. Find me a coach whose team averages 110 points on offense and gives up 80 on defense. It's pretty much commonly known that no team can be the best offensive and also the best defensive team.</div>
    True, Rudy did give players too much freedom. But he was more flexible on offense. He actually played his younger players too. Mobley, Francis, Cassell, Horry, Griffin all saw considerable time as rookies. Novak would be thriving in Rudy's system. Instead he's buried at the end of the bench[​IMG]

<div class="quote_poster">Locke Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Did you also not read that he was hit with the flu? The medical staff just said that Wells was okay to play last night. Wells even admitted himself that his conditioning was off. Who's more qualified to make the decisions here, a newspaper beat writer or team doctors?</div>
    Conditioning? He said he was ready to play, I'll take his word for it. When ur coach doesn't like you, they'll make all kind of excuses why ur not playin (ankle, flu, personal reasons etc..)

<div class="quote_poster">Locke Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">We gave up 109 points last night. How many would Rudy have given up, 130?</div>
    Easy on the Rudy T insults. The guy won 2 rings in Houston, obviously his strategy worked

18. Trip

Student
    <div class="quote_poster">Rock4life Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Not quite....I give JVG credit for bein a defensive minded coach. But that's also his weakness. He's very stubborn. There are times where teams make 3 or 4 different subs and JVG doesn't do anything. Example, the Dallas & Phoenix games where they went small (and we left Mutumbo out there). Coaches like Avery, Popovich & Dantoni all make creative substitutions that change the overrall complexion of the game on defense AND offense. JVG is almost all defense.</div>I would agree that he at times is too stubborn with his rotations, but leaving Mutombo in there should not be thought of as that much of a mistake. Seriously, would you have been happier if Hayes had been playing center? That's your main gripe about Hayes this year, being undersized playing backup center.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">No, I don't think the offense runs smooth with Yao & Tracy out there. I would like to see more movement and backscreens for our other players. Ultimatley it'll give Yao easier buckets! There are too many stretches that we look stale on offense. Too much standing around waiting for Yao or Tmac to create. We need more creative ways of scoring on offense. </div>Yes, more movement off the ball would be nice, but the way we're playing right now, the team can still score with a good level of efficiency. Most of our plays are isos either involving Yao or McGrady, so there shouldn't be that much movement, although to see some more cutting should be helpful. That's one of the reasons why I like Chuck Hayes.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">True, Rudy did give players too much freedom. But he was more flexible on offense. He actually played his younger players too. Mobley, Francis, Cassell, Horry, Griffin all saw considerable time as rookies. Novak would be thriving in Rudy's system. Instead he's buried at the end of the bench[​IMG] </div>Would you think Novak would have a career like Francis, Mobley, Cassell and Horry did? Good rookies under Rudy T. played, bad ones didn't. How many minutes did Jason Collier get in his rookie season? You're talking about superior rookies here, guys who made All-Rookie teams. Is Novak, a second rounder, anywhere near that caliber, especially in his rookie season? If we really needed a power forward to knock down threes, I'd rather go with Padgett.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Conditioning? He said he was ready to play, I'll take his word for it. When ur coach doesn't like you, they'll make all kind of excuses why ur not playin (ankle, flu, personal reasons etc..)</div>Once again, the medical staff cleared Bonzi to play. What's not logical about Wells saying he was healthy, then getting hit with the flu a day after? Happens to you and me.

Since you seem so intent on speculating, can you maybe say why JVG doesn't "want" Bonzi to play?

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Easy on the Rudy T insults. The guy won 2 rings in Houston, obviously his strategy worked</div>Yes, Rudy T. won two championships with the best player in the league at the time and a great supporting cast, and I'll give him credit for that. But the fact is in his later years, he wasn't as superior a coach as he was. We had to make a change at the time, and I thought it was the right one.

19. ROCK4LIFE

ROCK4LIFE Active Member

<div class="quote_poster">Locke Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">I would agree that he at times is too stubborn with his rotations, but leaving Mutombo in there should not be thought of as that much of a mistake. Seriously, would you have been happier if Hayes had been playing center? That's your main gripe about Hayes this year, being undersized playing backup center.</div>
    But Devon George on Mutumbo, c'mon dude. I'd a put Kirk Snyder on him, more so for quickness purposes. Unfortunatley Snyder didn't play much that night.

<div class="quote_poster">Locke Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Yes, more movement off the ball would be nice, but the way we're playing right now, the team can still score with a good level of efficiency. Most of our plays are isos either involving Yao or McGrady, so there shouldn't be that much movement, although to see some more cutting should be helpful. That's one of the reasons why I like Chuck Hayes.</div>
    Chuck Hayes does move without the ball, but he doesn't finish unless it's uncontested.

<div class="quote_poster">Locke Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Would you think Novak would have a career like Francis, Mobley, Cassell and Horry did? Good rookies under Rudy T. played, bad ones didn't. How many minutes did Jason Collier get in his rookie season? You're talking about superior rookies here, guys who made All-Rookie teams. Is Novak, a second rounder, anywhere near that caliber, especially in his rookie season? If we really needed a power forward to knock down threes, I'd rather go with Padgett.</div>
    Novak is a Bullard clone. If Bullard can succeed in Rudy's system, then Novak can do the same under Van Gundy's. If you look back, this current team mirrors the second championship team.

Rafer Alston/Kenny Smith
    Tmac/ Clyde Drexler
    Battier/ Mario Elie
    Chucky Brown/Juwan Howard
    Yao Ming/Hakeem

Bullard/Novak

I think Novak can be helpful with more minutes. All he has to do is spot up and shoot. Defense shouldn't be the reason the only reason a great shooter isn't playin. Cuttino was a 2nd rounder also, just imagine if he never got a chance to play.

<div class="quote_poster">Locke Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Once again, the medical staff cleared Bonzi to play. What's not logical about Wells saying he was healthy, then getting hit with the flu a day after? Happens to you and me.</div>
    The "Rockets" medical staff. Don't act like they don't make up stuff when a player isn't on the roster either.

<div class="quote_poster">Locke Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Since you seem so intent on speculating, can you maybe say why JVG doesn't "want" Bonzi to play?</div>
    JVG has said that he and Bonzi have bumped headz plenty of times. There is no way why you wouldn't want a player like Bonzi on the court. I truthfully don't think JVG knows how to use him, bein that his offensive gameplan doesn't have many options.

<div class="quote_poster">Locke Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Yes, Rudy T. won two championships with the best player in the league at the time and a great supporting cast, and I'll give him credit for that. But the fact is in his later years, he wasn't as superior a coach as he was. We had to make a change at the time, and I thought it was the right one.</div>
    But u implied that he wasn't a good defensive coach, which is completley false.

20. durvasa

durvasa JBB Rockets Fan

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Rock4Life:</div><div class="quote_post">NOTE:You guys said the same nonsense about Juwan Howard ("lazy", "washed up" "Bad D") and it backfired, now you've switched to Bonzi. I'm gonna watch this one unfold. </div>

What nonsense did I say about Juwan? Quote me. My position on Juwan's defense hasn't changed. He'll make good plays now and then, but he isn't (and never was considered) a good defensive player. His value lies elsewhere.

Regarding Bonzi, he's actually performed much worse than I would have expected. Even when he's supposedly been "in shape", he hasn't played very well except in a few games. Just look at his numbers. They're terrible. And Bonzi isn't a good defensive player. I said that when we first were rumored to be going after him, and it hasn't changed. He's good at playing the passing lanes, he'll get some deflections, and he's a good rebounder. But he doesn't contest shots well, and his lateral movement is poor. His legs simply aren't what they used to be. I haven't "switched over" on that point.