GT: Rockets at Warriors (12/14)

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by AznxBaller, Dec 14, 2006.

1. AnimeFANatic

AnimeFANatic JBB JustBBall Member

Alley,

Baron said in the post game interview:
    “I caught the ball and Yao was shadowing me down the floor, kind of double teaming me. So I told Adonal to cut to the basket but he set a screen, and I knew I didn’t have a lot of time but I was in rhythm and I shot it and I hit it.”

So it was ill-advised for a reason. Baron was amazing tonight, I hope he stays on fire through the road trip.

2. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

I don't have FSN + because I won't pay extra for it and I was pretty sure we were going to lose tonight because it means more stone hands Foyle and less Biedrins at C. Hmm... maybe tonight we played them both together at the same time. I dunno, but it piqued my curiosity a while back. Would we be better defensively inside the paint and force more jumpers?

So how did we win? Let me guess, out of the 100 or so times Baron jacked up a linedrive clunker or badly missed layup in the 4th in a 2-3 point game, he managed to get one in? Am I right? Do I get a prize?

3. AlleyOop

AlleyOop JBB JustBBall Member

No CR2, you're way off. Baron was the best player on the floor (besides Yao). And he did everything right, IMO. He shot 12-22 from the floor and hit 8-11 FT. He was also the only Warrior who stepped up tonight. Everyone else pretty much hid in the shadows.

Oh, and no, Nellie never played Foyle and Beans, so stop dreaming about that "twin tower" strategy already!! [​IMG]

edit: Oh, PS, don't look now but GS is the official 8th seed in the West.

4. Custodianrules2

<div class="quote_poster">AnimeFANatic Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Alley,

“I caught the ball and Yao was shadowing me down the floor, kind of double teaming me. So I told Adonal to cut to the basket but he set a screen, and I knew I didn’t have a lot of time but I was in rhythm and I shot it and I hit it.”

So it was ill-advised for a reason. Baron was amazing tonight, I hope he stays on fire through the road trip.</div>

Every hardcore W's fan knows Adonal is dumb as sh when it comes to basketball. Only the Warriors could employ him for so many years because loyalty/character/perseverence/shotblocking is more important than hands, bball IQ, skill, mobility and everything else that makes a good role playing center. No brains, no brawn, no hops, no finesse, no coordination but he's a nice guy who can protect our worst defensive players a few times per game.

See, I can't get mad at Baron too many times because what has the rest of the team done to make it easier for Baron to make plays happen? Baron has actually seen the playoffs when he's had talent like Jamaal Magloire and Monster Mash Mashburn. Anyone think we have any player remotely like those two guys? Coincidentally, those two also happen to occupy the center, power forward, and small forward positions for their team, despite one or the other not being that great offensively and the other not great defensively. But they both made the all-star team once. And yes Jamal Mashburn was a crappy defender with a variety of other problems, but he was a good passer and he can score with his physical abilities as a big, athletic (for 250 lb guy) guy at either forward spot.

Anyone think Murphy or Dun will even get a sniff of that? Maybe Jrich if he were bigger. Jrich has the same problem as Desmond Mason. All this explosiveness and great rebounding skill for a forward and they got almost none of the quickness or important guard skills to be truly great.

5. Doctor Kajita

Doctor Kajita Active Member

Finance
    CR2, Adonal had his best game of the year. He caught balls from Baron, made shots he should have made, and even made a reverse layup he should have missed. As we've said all along, he makes a good back-up center, and that's what he did tonight: back-up Beans.

Baron played a solid game, made little mistakes, and pretty much took the team on his shoulders. He ran the floor beautifully, involved everyone, and took the shots he needed to take, including the most important one.

6. Custodianrules2

<div class="quote_poster">Kensaku Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">CR2, Adonal had his best game of the year. He caught balls from Baron, made shots he should have made, and even made a reverse layup he should have missed. As we've said all along, he makes a good back-up center, and that's what he did tonight: back-up Beans.

Baron played a solid game, made little mistakes, and pretty much took the team on his shoulders. He ran the floor beautifully, involved everyone, and took the shots he needed to take, including the most important one.</div>

NO way, you are lying, man. He actually caught something other than a cold?

Foyle is a good backup center... I guess... I wish it was enough to make that team option come up sooner [​IMG] I guess I love/hate him because I know he's our best or second best interior defensive player. And for the amount of losing he's endured over the years, he didn't add to the chaos or negative energy. He could have been a guy who just gave up, but he tried despite not having the best ability or natural instinct for the game or best team environment. He's an underdog who deserved every bit of his contract... if we're just counting effort and not consistency or setting the table or catching most passes or finishing uncontested layups or dunks.

7. boogiescott

boogiescott JBB JustBBall Member

Sure would be nice if someone would actually watch the game ...and if not..... avoid spewing the hate and negativity for once..... it nevers stops

8. Custodianrules2

Wait, what really happened here? Did one of the big Texas teams decide to take a night off and not play because we're the perennial losers who are always the focus of media ridicule?

I guess apathy towards us ain't the case for Houston when they outrebounded us by 20 or so boards and we still won. Ha! That had to be a great game. Ultimate insult to the Rox to win by the heroics of a low% one on five player and nobody else on the Warriors really showing up. Good job Baron. Probably made Coach JVG's eyes a little baggier after this one.

9. Custodianrules2

<div class="quote_poster">boogielew Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Sure would be nice if someone would actually watch the game ...and if not..... avoid spewing the hate and negativity for once..... it nevers stops</div>

Warriors R awesome. Go Warriors. [​IMG]

You want to talk about saying no to negativity. Don't ever hate on Calbert Cheaney or Derek Fisher or Mike Montgomery.

10. AlleyOop

lol -well, you should at least watch the game before dissing everyone, CR2 -- otherwise we can't bounce observations off eachother

11. Custodianrules2

<div class="quote_poster">AlleyOop Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">lol -well, you should at least watch the game before dissing everyone, CR2 -- otherwise we can't bounce observations off eachother</div>

True. But how often are we going to win these type of games when we get outrebounded badly against a good team and especially on the offensive glass?

We're lucky they must have blown a lot of second chance points and missed all their extra shots on goals. We're darn lucky Baron came up big when nobody else did and Foyle allegedly screwed up the play Baron called.

I can't ignore the problems this team will probably face all season unless Mullin does something for the current and for the future to strengten the inside game and defense. If it takes time, I understand, because big guys don't grow on trees, but I hope it's before ownershp gives up and gives the order to dump contracts.

Until we're truly comfortable sitting high above other potential 8th seeds, I can't rest. My attitude, softens the blow because I've seen the Warriors when they're at their best and when they're at their worst and when they're playing okay, but the other team is playing even better.

The worst thing about the Warriors is they are wildly inconsistent and they rely on jumpers because there is an absence of post presence on this roster. If we win one close game against a team that could have pounded us, I should be glad. But it's only one game and it's a long season where it's ultra competitive. Forgive me if I can't be more positive. I'm positive about our rookies, not our present salary situation or the steps general management had done to prepare for today and tomorrow. What guys did in '04 offseason was like tying shoelaces together before running a race. How far did we think we could go by doing that? Until this perceived salary tax crisis is over, I probably won't feel good or positive about this team's ability to win consistently until we can find a strong core and keep them.

Anyway, I'll go quiet so the rest of you observers can talk. [​IMG]

12. Duckmyster

Duckmyster JBB JustBBall Member

I was most impress with the leadership that Baron display tonight and so far this season. He actually cares about winning every game and while the team might not look impressive on paperthe sum of it seems to click together. Lets not forget that we are the 2nd youngest team in the league. This upcoming road trip shouls show what kind of character the Warriors have. Ike and J-rich should be back pretty soon so all the experience and confidence that guys like monta, Biendrens, Barnes and yes even Foyle are building up should help us in the long run.

13. AnimeFANatic

While I agree with custodians arguments about our problems... we definitely need to get him some

[​IMG]

especially after he traded sean may away in fantasy...

14. AnimeFANatic

While I agree with custodian about the teams faults... we need to get him some:

[​IMG]

Even I'm not that pessimistic... <font size=""1"">(though I would be if i traded sean may away in fantasy...)</font>

Or we all might after this long road trip, depending on how they do.

I'm just kidding custodian, don't hate me [​IMG]

15. Clif25

Clif25 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">philsmith75 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">What a victory. Only got to see the 2nd half but oh what a half. From watching the Warriors simply play ragged ball in the 3rd, to the improbable last 6 points of the game.

Dunleavy with the ultimate 3 pt play and Baron nailing the 3. The Warriors play great when they pass the ball and look awful when Baron pounds the ball. I understand that he may think there's nothing there so he might as well jack a jumper but that just kills the continuity.

Even with Biedrins the Warriors somehow need to get some rebounds. They scramble well but they cannot depend on only Biedrins to get rebounds.

This game will be memorable whether they tank it from here or go on to make a run at the playoffs. That was fun.</div>

Yeah, Pietrus and Dunleavy lead the team in rebounds. Foyle had 4 blocks, but he is small compared to Yao. I wish suddenly Murphy will become a double digit rebounder again soon. I would be relunctant to trade Murphy at this moment, until Ike or maybe Zarko can return and contribute on the glass.

Man, and how about Biedrins and his shooting? He has only missed one shot in the last two games, including FT's. He has made 9 out of 9 ft's and 13 out of 14 FG's. Dang.

Yeah, I bet the game will be memorable for the people who got to see it. I was just hoping Moochie Norris wasn't anywhere in the building. I remember a similar situation I think a few years ago, back when Muss was coaching or maybe before that. But Moochie made the freaking 3 pointer to like win the game (for some reason I think he probably did it twice in one game like regulation and then in overtime, but now I could just be making up stories). But yeah, it was relieving following this on Yahoo to see that Yao took the last three point shot. [​IMG]

16. Clif25

Clif25 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">AnimeFANatic Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Alley,

?I caught the ball and Yao was shadowing me down the floor, kind of double teaming me. So I told Adonal to cut to the basket but he set a screen, and I knew I didn?t have a lot of time but I was in rhythm and I shot it and I hit it.?

So it was ill-advised for a reason. Baron was amazing tonight, I hope he stays on fire through the road trip.</div>

Uh...did you say road trip?

hahah...that's like the dentist for this team.

17. AlleyOop

I think it's primarily an eastern swing, though -- which could mean good things for this current 8th seed team. I mean, sure we all know the flaws, but they've managed to bounce back after a diasmal losing streak and are playing with energy.

Tonight was a tough game, they could have easily folded when down 12-14 points, but Baron rallied the troops. Man, tonight was no joke with this guy -- he wasn't even trying to pretend like he was a "good guy" or "coach's player," it was pure -- he was all heart and you could see it radiating to his teammates. He wanted this for the fans, and you know what? It feels good! What a comeback!!

18. REREM

REREM JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Clif25 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Yeah, Pietrus and Dunleavy lead the team in rebounds. Foyle had 4 blocks, but he is small compared to Yao. I wish suddenly Murphy will become a double digit rebounder again soon. I would be relunctant to trade Murphy at this moment, until Ike or maybe Zarko can return and contribute on the glass.

Man, and how about Biedrins and his shooting? He has only missed one shot in the last two games, including FT's. He has made 9 out of 9 ft's and 13 out of 14 FG's. Dang.

Yeah, I bet the game will be memorable for the people who got to see it. I was just hoping Moochie Norris wasn't anywhere in the building. I remember a similar situation I think a few years ago, back when Muss was coaching or maybe before that. But Moochie made the freaking 3 pointer to like win the game (for some reason I think he probably did it twice in one game like regulation and then in overtime, but now I could just be making up stories). But yeah, it was relieving following this on Yahoo to see that Yao took the last three point shot. [​IMG]</div>

Beans was very efficient on offense but Adonal was a key,even got a block on Yao,kept him from bulldozing in. Adonal's offense looked frisky,nothing like the Old Oven Mitts,his outlet passes let us score before Yao could get back.

We got KILLED on the boards,Monta was a bit ragged but Baron was slash and slice then stepped up to hit the winner. Pietrus,Barnes,Dun were a bit inconsistant-yet fairly effective.

Custodian-take a note....EVERYTHING we learned in the past 2 years about any player on this roster may change a lot with Nellie.[​IMG]

Consider...first month we get 30+ pt games from a 20 yr old C,a 21 yr old second rounder,and a walk on. Pietrus suddenly got way smarter. Baron,leaner and meaner. Murphy,passing like Brad Miller,Dunleavy,going a week or more without sucking....[​IMG]

It's all under construction. More surprises to come.

19. AlleyOop

Here's some shots of a guy who just loves what he does for a living. The win tonight was all heart IMO:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Check out the fans in the background. It seemed like the only player who never gave up tonight was BD. This was a superstar win IMO.

20. Warriorfansnc93

Warriorfansnc93 JBB JustBBall Member

I saw every minute of last nights game from Dallas, TX on NBA league pass. My first reaction was "what the hell is he shooting a 3 when we only need one. Drive to the hoop and either get the layup, get the foul or dish to someone else who has a wide open shot". He was the BEST player on the court for the Warriors. He SHOULD be taking the last shot, just not a 3! He had defenders on him until Adonal hit that screeen, and then for a split second there was light. Second of all, why do you not call timeout after collecting the rebound when you have 2 left?

Lastly, when I saw the look in Baron Davis' eye after he made that shot, it was something special. He literally put this team on his shoulders and carried them to a victory. It hasn't happened often so that is why I am so negative about it, but I just hope this is the beginning of something special because IMO, he IS the best player on this team even if Jrich were to get healthy and he deserves to be taking the last shot when needed. I saw no flaw in any of the shots he took in this game except for that shot at the end. I am glad it went in though...

Oh, BTW, yes adonal caught so many passes and made so many shots that I would not expect him to make I was amazed. I really do think we need to play Obryant and Beans or Foyle and beans at the same time though, just to try it out, especially when we are getting killed on the boards. The rockets had so many second chance points, that was the only reason why they were in the game!