GT: Rockets @ Lakers (12/15)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets' started by igotask8board, Dec 15, 2006.

1. xCLAVEx

xCLAVEx JBB JustBBall Member

Odom and McGrady shouldn't even be in the same thought, let alone the same sentence (ironic that I just did that). McGrady is far more integral to the Rockets than Odom is to the Lakers. They cannot be compared as even though Odom is a decent player, McGrady is light years ahead of him in terms of ability, skill, and value. If you are comparing McGrady to Odom, you might as well compare Byant to Odom. If you wanted a complete role reversal, have the Lakers play the Rockets with McGrady and the Lakers with Odom, but without Bryant. Then see which team comes out on top...

2. huevonkiller

huevonkiller Change (Deftones)

Student.
    <div class="quote_poster">xCLAVEx Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Odom and McGrady shouldn't even be in the same thought, let alone the same sentence (ironic that I just did that). McGrady is far more integral to the Rockets than Odom is to the Lakers. If you wanted a complete role reversal, have the Lakers play the Rockets with McGrady and the Lakers with Odom, but without Bryant. Then see which team comes out on top...</div>

The whole point is that McGrady isn't the player he used to be, and Odom is around his level now. To use an analogy: McGrady is sort of the Randy Moss of the NBA.

3. umair

umair "Never underestimate the heart of a champion."

<div class="quote_poster">Trench Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">How can you say that? Last night Yao made me a believer. The guy is an unbelieveable player and very humble too boot. He has come such a long way from the last time I watched him play. He doesn't complain and just plays his game. His low post presence is beastly, he can rebound and score, and he's so damn tall, you just need to find out how to feed him the ball early enough. Houston can win without T-mac, but they need to feed him the ball earlier and someone needs to step up and take some of the load off of him. You have to realize that T-mac will have those back spasms for the rest of his career, so the Rockets must find ways to win w/o him.

This is all spoken from a Laker fan too!![​IMG]</div>

Look, last year McGrady was hurt for a majority of the season. Yao is good and yeah he has improved and gotten much better, but I dont think he is a great team leader. We really don't have a 2nd option without Tmac. Basically, the only player we rely on to score for us is Yao Ming. Look at Lakers, Kobe is a great team leader. He is doing real good with Lakers. I really think the Rockets can't win many games without Tmac. Tmac is our clutch shooter and a guy we can rely on to hit our clutch shots. Last night's game, we had I think about 2-3 chances to end the game. I was just wondering who we could go to instead of Yao Ming(who isn't a great clutch player). If we had Tmac, our chances to end the game could've been higher. The game against Warriors, who did we go to in the clutch? Yao Ming with a three pointer. Instead of Yao, we really don't have a clutch player instead of Tracy McGrady. Tmac is a clutch shooter who we really depend on to hit some shots to end close games. I know Lakers are playing pretty bad without Lamar Odom, but I think Lakers can still win with Kobe. Kobe, I think is a great team leader who can probably lead the Lakers to the post season. I know Yao has improved a lot and stuff, but I just dont see him there yet, he has not developed himself as a leader in Houston. Aside from Yao, we really dont have a guy we can rely on to score. We really dont have a guy who can take the defense away from Yao. Kobe can create his own shot and do everything. He can lead the Lakers, but Yao can't lead the Rockets by his self.

4. igotask8board

igotask8board Active Member

<div class="quote_poster">huevonkiller Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">The whole point is that McGrady isn't the player he used to be, and Odom is around his level now. To use an analogy: McGrady is sort of the Randy Moss of the NBA.</div>

Seriously, get out of here with that garbage.

5. xCLAVEx

<div class="quote_poster">huevonkiller Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">The whole point is that McGrady isn't the player he used to be, and Odom is around his level now. To use an analogy: McGrady is sort of the Randy Moss of the NBA.</div>

But he is still more integral to the Rockets than Odom is to the Lakers, that was my point. Even though McGrady isn't playing 100% (yet), he is still a superior player than Odom is at full strength.

6. huevonkiller

Student.
    <div class="quote_poster">igotask8board Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Seriously, get out of here with that garbage.</div>

Seriously... relax. T-Mac's career accomplishments towers over what Odom has done, but in these last three years he has really tailed off, especially this year.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">But he is still more integral to the Rockets than Odom is to the Lakers, that was my point. Even though McGrady isn't playing 100% (yet), he is still a superior player than Odom is at full strength.</div>

I'm sure McGrady is better than Odom at "full Strength" but he's always injured. When he plays more consistently or show he can be healthy again, you Houston people can boast all you want about T-Mac.

7. The Dream

The Dream mama there goes that man!

even a "not 100%" Tmac is more vital to the rockets.

8. huevonkiller

Student.
    <div class="quote_poster">THE DREAM Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">even a "not 100%" Tmac is more vital to the rockets.</div>

That's not a clear cut choice anymore. T-Mac's TS% is horrible and he doesn't even shoot the ball as much as Iverson either.

9. Coville

Coville BBW Member

Anybody aruging that TMac is more important to his team than Odom is just is smoking the pipe.

Lakers can't even run the triangle without Odom, did you even watch the first quarter? The only reason we scraped back into the game was the fact Kobe Bryant started going off, but what you saw in 2-4 was not the triangle, it was Kobe ball with an occasional pass off to a teammate for a wide open shot.

Sure, that might win you one or two games; but the lakers barely won last night thankfully to some bonehead plays by Head, (although the game should have been over in the 4th on the Luke Walton goaltend)

Anyways, While you guys think TMac is the better player (which is arguable, considering Odom is averaing better all around stats, higher % and his team has a better record) Plus, he isn't health ridden and might be in the line up or out thanks to back spasms.

I'll take Odom who is giving up 18/9/5/1/1 a game shooting 47% and 35% from the three over McGrady. He is just playing better and you guys need to face facts, Tmac is not the player he used to be.

10. xCLAVEx

<div class="quote_poster">huevonkiller Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">That's not a clear cut choice anymore. T-Mac's TS% is horrible and he doesn't even shoot the ball as much as Iverson either.</div>

But his assists are WAY up. Scoring isn't the only stat in the game you know...

11. huevonkiller

Student.
    <div class="quote_poster">xCLAVEx Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">But his assists are WAY up. Scoring isn't the only stat in the game you know...</div>

4.8 to 6.3 assists is WAY up? Lol. Either way, Lamar is a triple double threat. tix_'s post explains my pov in detail (most of my pov at least...).

12. Coville

Coville BBW Member

Heh, guys if I were you. I would be less worried about TMac > Odom and what the hell Van Gundy is doing coaching your team.

3 games in a row you guys have lost while leading in double digits (2 double digit leads in the 2nd half)

Anyways, If Van Gundy doesn't institute "hack a kwame", you guys play out the game, feed it to Yao and probably win the game trading baskets (lakers result to fouling)

I blame Gundy out of anyone...the guy is an idiot, he blew the GS game, the LA game. What next?

13. igotask8board

igotask8board Active Member

<div class="quote_poster">huevonkiller Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Seriously... relax. T-Mac's career accomplishments towers over what Odom has done, but in these last three years he has really tailed off, especially this year.

I'm sure McGrady is better than Odom at "Full Strength" but he's always injured. When he plays more consistently or show he can be healthy again, you Houston people can pout all you want about T-Mac.</div>

your the only one pouting b...

You said T-Mac isn't what he used to be, and I agree. However, you said T-Mac and Odom are the same level when T-Mac is injured , and I disagree. Until training camp T-Mac hadn't played basketball for around 9 months. He averaged 32ppg in Orlando as the main scorer barring through the same damn back spasms, so I don't know how you can say Odom is around T-Mac when he is injured.

<div class="quote_poster">tix_ Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Heh, guys if I were you. I would be less worried about TMac > Odom and what the hell Van Gundy is doing coaching your team.

3 games in a row you guys have lost while leading in double digits (2 double digit leads in the 2nd half)

Anyways, If Van Gundy doesn't institute "hack a kwame", you guys play out the game, feed it to Yao and probably win the game trading baskets (lakers result to fouling)

I blame Gundy out of anyone...the guy is an idiot, he blew the GS game, the LA game. What next?</div>

The only thing I think JVG did wrong last night was call the time out, that even Yao and Battier signaled for, when Luther was off to the races against S. Parker. I think Luther could have won the game or drew the foul.

14. huevonkiller

Student.
    <div class="quote_poster">igotask8board Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">your the only one pouting b...

You said T-Mac isn't what he used to be, and I agree. However, you said T-Mac and Odom are the same level when T-Mac is injured , and I disagree. Until training camp T-Mac hadn't played basketball for around 9 months. He averaged 32ppg in Orlando as the main scorer barring through the same damn back spasms, so I don't know how you can say Odom is around T-Mac when he is injured.</div>

What do you mean and how am I the one pouting? You people have to admit T-Mac and Odom are on the same tier now. Just look at what T-Mac has done this year. He didn't play for 9 months until training camp, because he's injury prone. I don't really care if T-Mac is better than Odom either, they're still on a similar level.

That 32 ppg T-Mac was for one year by the way, it's been downhill since. When I see McGrady, I think of that STP song, "Creep" (aka Half the man I used to be).

15. Pakman

Pakman JBB ITS ON ME!!!

<div class="quote_poster">huevonkiller Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">What do you mean and how am I the one pouting? You people have to admit T-Mac and Odom are on the same tier now. Just look at what T-Mac has done this year. He didn't play for 9 months until training camp, because he's injury prone. I don't really care if T-Mac is better than Odom either, they're still on a similar level.

That 32 ppg T-Mac was for one year by the way, it's been downhill since. When I see McGrady, I think of that STP song, "Creep" (aka Half the man I used to be).</div>

I wouldn't waste my time igotask8board. He is a Kobe fan. To him, if Tmac doesn't score 30, he's not the same player he once was. I mean, nobody was pissing all over the Lakers forum when Kobe wasn't scoring 30 in the beginning of the season.

Take this - Tmac is a SMART player. He knows Yao has a bigger advantage on matchups than he does. So he would rather sacrifice his shot for Yao, who shoots a much higher percentage. Just because Tmac has stepped down from the role of "I AM GONNA BALLHOG AND SCORE ALL THE TIME LIKE KOBE" from his Orlando days doesn't mean he isn't as good as he used to be.

Tmac is on Lamar's level now? [​IMG]
    TMac is the same player people compare to Kobe.

16. huevonkiller

Student.
    <div class="quote_poster">Pakman Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">I wouldn't waste my time igotask8board. He is a Kobe fan. To him, if Tmac doesn't score 30, he's not the same player he once was. I mean, nobody was pissing all over the Lakers forum when Kobe wasn't scoring 30 in the beginning of the season.

Take this - Tmac is a SMART player. He knows Yao has a bigger advantage on matchups than he does. So he would rather sacrifice his shot for Yao, who shoots a much higher percentage. Just because Tmac has stepped down from the role of "I AM GONNA BALLHOG AND SCORE ALL THE TIME LIKE KOBE" from his Orlando days doesn't mean he isn't as good as he used to be.

Tmac is on Lamar's level now? [​IMG]
    TMac is the same player people compare to Kobe.</div>

First, let me address the comment in Bold: So you're saying T-Mac wants to have a disgusting shooting percentage? He's playing like crap, fellow. He's getting more assists but his shot selection (or shooting touch) has been way off.

I'm a Kobe Fan... so what does that have to do with anything? Seriously, I brought up the 32 ppg thing because igotask8board did so first. T-Mac has had a couple of respectable seasons in Houston, but is still very Moss-ish at this particular moment. The difference between Kobe and T-Mac is that Kobe has been much better currently and last year, it's a bad comparison.

A Ballhog is someone who hurts his team by shooting a pathetic percentage; that's more characteristic of T-Mac at this moment. You seem pretty sensitive, but the truth is T-Mac and Odom are indeed on similar planes in 06-07.

17. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

This argument has become who's better Odom or TMac. It's not the issue, the issue is who is more vital to their teams success.

I suggest you read tix_ post again, he broke it down perfectly. The Lakers struggle to run the offense when Odom isn't on the floor. The Lakers are 4-18 in games Odom missed. Look at the Laker roster, they don't have any athletic forwards after Odom.

The Lakers run a unique and complicated offense, relative to basketball schemes, and it takes an experienced player in the Triangle to maximize it's success. In his third season in the offense, Odom has finally figured it out, and he moves around in the offense instinctively instead having to overthink what to do.

Pakman I'd just like to point out your ballhog comment was idiotic.

18. Pakman

Pakman JBB ITS ON ME!!!

<div class="quote_poster">shapecity Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">
    Pakman I'd just like to point out your ballhog comment was idiotic.</div>

It was a way to get through to a Laker fan. Just because Tmac doesn't score 30 doesn't mean he isn't the same player!

19. huevonkiller

Student.
    <div class="quote_poster">Pakman Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">It was a way to get through to a Laker fan. Just because Tmac doesn't score 30 doesn't mean he isn't the same player!</div>

Well he isn't the same player... He's struggling right now.

20. ROCK4LIFE

ROCK4LIFE Active Member

<div class="quote_poster">huevonkiller Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">A Ballhog is someone who hurts his team by shooting a pathetic percentage; that's more characteristic of T-Mac at this moment. You seem pretty sensitive, but the truth is T-Mac and Odom are indeed on similar planes in 06-07.</div>
    I haven't been here for a couple dayz and I come back to this!! Odom is a good player, but by NO MEANS is he better than Tmac in any shape form or fashion. NO COMPARISON! Odom's play is more so due to the triangle offense, Tmac is just pure talent. In other words, Tmac at 27 is better than Odom anyday. You obviously haven't looked at any Rocket games and just looked at the stat books. By the way, ur definition of a ballhog is the most idiotic thing i've heard. Jus because you shoot a poor % doesn't make you a ballhog. Jus like Kobe last year, did you forget about that? Kobe's my favorite player but ur not gonna get away with labelin my boy Tmac a ballhog without knowing the FACTS! Get ur mind right