Harkless resolves after Crabbe decision?

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Blazinaway, Jul 10, 2016.

1. Boob-No-More

Boob-No-More Why you no hire big man coach?

Yep, that appears to be the most logical choice, but Olshey made zero comments about Turner starting (as jlprk claims). All we've seen is a story out of Boston, after they lost Turner, that was refuted by Turner.

As always, minutes are earned. If Harkless wants to start, he needs to come into camp and prove he deserves it. Simple as that.

BNM

Denny Crane likes this.
  2. Boob-No-More

Boob-No-More Why you no hire big man coach?

There's plenty of room for him - if he outplays Turner and/or Crabbe. At this point, because Mo can't create for himself, or others, and doesn't have a reliable jump shot, Turner is the more likely starter. Crabbe was our leading scorer off the bench last season, has a reliable outside shot and can play the 2 or 3. These players have proven skills, but it's not like either one is a first ballot Hall of Famer.

Mo iss still young and can improve. Hopefully, he's working on his handle and his shot and will come into training camp and give Turner and Crabbe a run for their (considerable) money.

I've never said I don't want Mo back, at the right price. What that is, is up to Neil and Paul. If we can retain him and stay under the LT threshold, it makes sense. Unfortunately, Mo (allegedly) wants more than that, and that's why there is an impasse. Maybe the best option really is for him to bet on himself, take the QO, come into camp, show that he's improved enough to warrant PT and play his ass off all year. If he does that, Terry will find playing time for him and he'll earn a huge, Crabbe-like payday next summer.

BNM

3. lawai'a

lawai'a Well-Known Member

the conversation has reminded me of andre miller signing and nate starting blake ahead of him. miller sulked. best player starts. no "promises.

4. BBert

BBert Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Selfless Public Servant
    OIC. That's fair.

I'm very high on Harkless' potential but Harkless is high if (that's "if") he thinks he's worth anything close to a max contract. He's proven and earned no such thing.

I seem to recall some discussion when we acquired him that he was somewhat immature and entitled, and maybe lacked a bit of understanding of how to earn his role on a team, and he had a tendency to get down. I don't know if that's true, but the current rumors seem to suggest it could be.

As I said I like his potential and I really really hope the Blazers can afford to keep him. But I don't see them mortgaging the future on his potential.

Boob-No-More likes this.
  5. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

Guys Harkless isn't holding out for a max contract so let's just put an end to that discussion.

BBert likes this.
  6. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

How do you know?

7. BonesJones

Because common sense

HailBlazers likes this.
  8. Strenuus

Strenuus Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

Or, more accurately, BGD made up some rumor about 4/80... Since that's not true...

DaLong likes this.
  9. Natebishop3

Everyone thought Tristan Thompson was out of his fucking mind for wanting the max as well. Common sense doesn't always come into play.

PtldPlatypus likes this.
  10. Strenuus

Strenuus Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

Common sense would mean you would quote the message you wanted for maximum context.

11. Natebishop3

Didn't it literally come from an article?

12. Denny Crane

Denny Crane It's not even loaded! Staff Member Administrator

Never lost a case
    When the Bulls signed Pau Gasol, it was at first reported he was promised a starting job. Then the reports came out that he wasn't. He started every game he was not injured.

I think Turner is going to start, but Stotts could choose to use him heavily off the bench and to close out games. The idea is 2 of Dame, CJ, ET on the court at all times. At 8:00 into Q1, Stotts brings in ET and AC and Davis. Something like that.

That allows Aminu at SF and Vonleh at PF like last year. Or Leonard. If we end up with Mo, he could start, like in the playoffs.

We have crazy depth and talent. It's going to be a fun season and fun team to watch.

BBert, Dougnsalem and 42N8Bounce like this.
  13. boredinsalem

boredinsalem Well-Known Member

The difference being that Blake couldn't hold Mo's jock strap. Blake/Roy/Nate had a polyamorous thing going on though so Andre (and any bigs wanting and entry pass or cutters hoping for a bounce pass) was left out in the cold.

14. lawai'a

never in a million years could i have predicted this outcome after LA chose SA. but i wouldn't trade who we are now for who we might have been. so satisfying and enjoyable this and last season's editions of the Blazers

15. lawai'a

i understand the difference, also understand it stunted teams developement in the process. Blazers were a better team starting Dre .best player should start

16. BigGameDamian

BigGameDamian Well-Known Member

Then what's he holding out for?

17. BonesJones

More money than Portland offered.

18. Driew

Driew Well-Known Member

He'd be dumb not to--worst case scenario he signs the QO,

19. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

Yep.
    And every hour he wastes on this free agency standoff, is that much more time he could use maximizing his focus on improving in the off season, but right now, His thoughts have to be bouncing around, I am sure.

20. jlprk

jlprk The ESPN mod is insane.

retired, while you work!
    I didn't cite a link because it is a well-known report that Turner said he had been told he will start. It has been mentioned on this board several times. Apparently, you wanted a link from me because it was news to you. I assumed you were up on the subject, since you were writing about it in a style of bombastic authority. Your style of certitude makes you look foolish when you're wrong, as in the quote above.

E_Blazer did the homework you failed to do and found that Turner told a Boston reporter July 1 that Turner had been told by the Blazers that he will start. The report didn't name the Blazer person, but who else would tell him that other than Olshey, or Stotts with Olshey's knowledge. I suppose you'll speculate that it could have been a trainer or a secretary, to continue your line that it wasn't Olshey. On July 7, the day of his Portland press conference, Turner told at least one Portland reporter that he had not been told that he will start.

In other words, on July 7, Turner said that he had lied on July 1. Therefore, he either lied on July 1, or July 7. A theory that would make sense is, he told the truth July 1 (why would he lie that he'd been told he will start?), arrived in Portland, and Olshey told him to quietly let slip after the press conference that he had lied July 1, when really he had told the truth July 1, and instead lied July 7.

Without cherry-picked statistics, your only way to save your pompous, bombastic, win-at-any-cost pride is to stick with your insistence that Olshey didn't tell Turner July 1 that he would start...because someone else did. Here's a good out for you: Theorize that Stotts told Turner July 1 without Olshey's knowledge. When Olshey heard that Turner was saying it, Olshey had Turner flip-flop on July 7. That theory could weasel you out of this. There, I helped you save face, which is what you're all about.

July 1--Boston's Mark Murphy

July 7--Portland's Jay Allen