Harkless to have surgery

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by OSUBlazerfan, Mar 27, 2018.

1. riverman

riverman Writing Team

They will basically vacuum out some debris from his knee...a coworker of mine years ago had this done and recovered in a few weeks...should be a simple procedure...they make a small incision and it's like a dentist sucking out bone fragments that are floating around

BrunoSOC and Eastoff like this.
  2. blazerkor

blazerkor Well-Known Member

With Harkless down, even if it's only for a little while. I hope we see Stotts use a line up of Dame, CJ, Chief, Zack or Ed and Nurk. I think both Zack and Ed are natural PFs and Aminu is a hybrid forward who has played a lot of his career at the 3 and may even be better at SF than at PF (this still doesn't mean he should dribble a lot). I get that Stotts likely will go small but I at least want to see this type of line up get some run.

3. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

An Aminu/Collins/Nurk front court sounds sooo good, especially defensively.

BBert likes this.
  4. Reep

Reep Well-Known Member

It would be fun to at least give it a try and see how it worked.

Eastoff likes this.
  5. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

Thing is that trio has played together, but the sample is so minimal.

6. CupWizier

CupWizier Well-Known Member

retired
    The good thing is the first round is usually much longer with games spread out so that they can televise all the various games going on so it allows a little more time for recovery if needed.

7. Lanny

Lanny Original Season Ticket Holder "Mr. Big Shot"

Elec. & Computer Engineer OSU Computer Science PSU
    Is that the procedure where the doc puts on the rubber glove?

riverman likes this.
  8. Boob-No-More

Boob-No-More Why you no hire big man coach?

The start of the first round is two and a half weeks away (April 14). Not all teams will play that day. Half will open their first round series on Saturday the 14th, the other half will begin their post season on Sunday the 15th.

As noted, the schedule slows way down compared to the regular season, There are no back to back games, often with at least 2 or 3 days off to accommodate the television schedule. On a few occasions teams have four days off between games. The networks like to get in as many weekend games as possible.

Travel is minimal compared to the regular season. For road games, teams fly to the opponent's city, check into their luxury hotel where the say for the next 5 or 6 nights while playing two games. There is no packing and unpacking and moving from city to city, checking into a different hotel 4 or 5 times in a week. In the first three rounds, all of your opponents are in the same conference. So, there are no long flights from one coast to the other. No jet lag from a 3-hour time difference.

As far as the surgery goes, it really depends on what they find when they get in there. If it's routine, and they just need to do a little cleanup, it will only take 30 minutes and does not require an overnight stay. The incisions are so tiny, they often don't even require stitches, steri-strips are often used to close the incisions. Some patients walk out of the hospital on their own power. Some may need crutches or a cane for 2 or 3 days. Typical full recovery takes 4 - 6 weeks, but different patients heal at different rates. Some people experience sufficient recovery to resume full physical activity, including playing sports, within 2 to 3 weeks. In Moe's case, he's young and in good shape. Both work in his favor compared to the typical patient.

So, best case, he could be back for the first game of the first round. Worst case, he may not be back until the start of the second round. Most likely case, he comes back in the middle of the first round, perhaps Game 3 or 4, perhaps on a minutes restriction for his first game or two back.

BNM

BrunoSOC, Darkwebs, Eastoff and 2 others like this.
  9. CupWizier

CupWizier Well-Known Member

retired
    My wife had arthroscopic surgery several years ago to clean up some debris in her knee and trim her miniscus and was done in less than an hour and we actually went a few hours later to my daughters soccer game and my wife was able to get around on crutches for a few days and then was close to 100% in about 10 days and that's without all the rehabbing available to Harkless. The question is, like you mentioned, you never know for sure until you get the scope in there.

Boob-No-More likes this.
  10. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

Loose body removal

Loose bodies are small fragments of detached bone or cartilage that float through the body, catching or locking in the joints. The best treatment and surgery for the removal of loose bodies depends on a few important factors including age, current and past health, the extent of the loose body to be removed, the location of the loose body and any history with other medications and treatments. Sports or work injuries are the most common causes of loose bodies.

Often, loose body removal is required because of degenerative diseases, such as osteoarthritis. These diseases are often found in people who use one or more of their joints an extraordinary amount, such as athletes or people whose jobs require extensive lifting, particularly overhead.

Diagnosis
    A loose body can create a feeling of locking in a person’s joint. The loose particles make it difficult to move or fully extend the joint. If you have any reason to think you may have a loose body in one of your joints, or have had multiple injuries in the same area, it is important to seek medical attention. To diagnose your condition, your doctor will ask questions regarding your past and current health, as well as perform a physical exam. To determine if you need any procedures for the removal of a loose body, the following exams may be performed:

• X-ray (radiograph) – This is typically the first test performed when looking for a loose body. An X-ray is done by sending radiation through the affected joint. The bone then absorbs the radiation, which allows it to appear in a black-and-white image. Because the majority of the particles that break free have some bone or cartilage in them, they can be seen fairly clearly using this imaging technique.
    • Computed tomography scan (CT or CAT scan) – A CAT scan combines X-ray and computer technology to deliver an enhanced image of the bone in the affected joint. This test provides a higher-definition image, allowing for more detail to be seen.
    • Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) – An MRI, unlike a CAT scan or X-ray, does not use radiation. Instead, you will be placed inside a vessel with electromagnetic radio waves. These waves cause vibrations, which create a resonance that can be turned into a high-definition image. This test allows the doctor to see particles that do not contain any bone and would not show up on the other imaging tests.
    • Arthrography – On some occasions, arthrography may be used to see the joint in better detail. This test is performed by injecting a dye into the affected area and taking an X-ray. The dye then shows up as a contrast in the soft tissue and cartilage in the area, creating a more detailed image. CAT scans and MRIs have taken the place of this technology for imaging in some areas of the body, but this test is still used in smaller joints such as the wrist.
    Nonsurgical treatment
    In most instances, removal of a loose body must be done surgically. However, for less severe cases, physiotherapy and anti-inflammatory painkillers may help with symptoms and keep the joint flexible and mobile. After a loose body is treated non-surgically, you must continue to monitor your symptoms and follow up with your doctor regularly so the condition does not worsen.

Surgery
    In most cases, removal of a loose body requires surgery. The aim of loose body removal surgery is to remove the cartilage or bone that has broken free during injuries and has caused the joints to be less mobile. Most loose body removal procedures are done using one of the following techniques:

• Arthroscopy – This has become the surgery of choice for many doctors. It requires only a very small incision, and so is minimally invasive, leading to fewer complications. A camera is placed through the incision to allow the doctor to see the area where he or she will work. The loose body is then removed through a suction cup that is placed inside the body through another small incision.
    • Arthrotomy – For large loose bodies that cannot be removed via arthroscopy, a more extensive surgery may be needed. Instances of this are rare. This procedure uses a larger incision to get a better image inside the joint and allows the doctor to remove the loose body more easily.
    Research
    Research is now focused on supplements to help prevent these degenerative diseases from occurring or to slow their progression, allowing for better results from non-surgical techniques. The glucosamine supplement in particular is of interest because it is generated naturally in the fluids surrounding the joints. Therefore, it makes sense that taking supplements of this natural substance could help reduce the effects of osteoarthritis and ease pain in the joints.

Studies have shown mixed results in this regard. While many osteoarthritis sufferers have noticed significant pain relief in their joints when taking this supplement, some have not. This is likely due to the extent of the osteoarthritis. Because of this, research continues to try to determine glucosamine’s effectiveness and who should consider taking this supplement to prevent degeneration of the joints and formation of loose bodies.

As research on glucosamine and other supplements is ongoing, it is a good idea for your conversation about it with your doctor to be ongoing as well.

The multidisciplinary team of joint experts at Northwell Health Orthopaedic Institute performs loose body removal surgery as well as a broad range of nonsurgical and surgical treatments for conditions that affect the bones.

11. Hoopguru

Hoopguru Well-Known Member

Several years back I had mine scoped and cleaned up, went home and got an some sort of infection in and they had do redo the whole thing over.
    I remember asking the Doc how come pro athletes recover so much faster and I'll never forget his answer. When they operate on pro athlete they are real delicate with them from turning them over on the table to how they scope. With us they are very rough once you are out and they flop you around on the table and are much rougher on the scope.

12. Reep

Reep Well-Known Member

I can't be the only one to think of this when being assured it is just a quick clean out:

Darkwebs and PtldPlatypus like this.
  13. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.

Thanks for the bummer trip down memory lane. Now go burn some incense to clear the bad juju away.

GrandpaBlaze, BonesJones and Reep like this.
  14. BBert

BBert Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Selfless Public Servant
    Nope. Definitely not the only one.

illmatic99 likes this.
  15. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

Woj just tweeted. 2-3 weeks.

I'll take that.

16. OSUBlazerfan

OSUBlazerfan Writing Team

Yup, puts him ready for 1st round, maybe a game before

dviss1 and SportsAndWhine like this.
  17. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

Yeah I figured he’d be back considering how they got the surgery done ASAP.

I’m hoping we can lock our spot (whatever # it is) in before the last game so that we can see guys rest while others get playing time, specifically Baldwin and Papa G.

dviss1 and BonesJones like this.
  18. KingSpeed

KingSpeed Veteran

actor
    This makes me happy.

BonesJones likes this.
  19. Boob-No-More

They also didn't wait and let it get any worse. As soon as Moe complained about pain, they stopped playing him and scheduled the surgery. They were looking at the big picture in terms of both the team (getting him back in time for the playoffs) and the player (not letting him play hurt and make the injury worse).

BNM

20. Boob-No-More

This was the best case scenario. Glad to hear they got it taken care of right away before any further damage occurred.

BNM