Trade Hart/Winslow/Didi/Keon/pick or CJ/Norm/Nance/Roco?

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by SharpesTriumph, Apr 18, 2022.

?

What would you rather have?

1. CJ, Norm, Nance, Roco (bird rights)

24 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. Hart, Winslow, Didi, Keon, MIL pick

36 vote(s)
    60.0%
  1. blazerkor

blazerkor Well-Known Member

The fact that moves took place afterwards means that options changed... that's why good GMs are never the first to make trades because they know that the landscape changes the closer you get to the deadline.

It was Cronin's first move. We don't know the pressure or mandates that were coming from above him. I'm not trying to kill the guy for it. He pulled off the Grant trade which salvaged the NOLA trade. It's not like we're talking about trading all stars for scrubs. We just lost the trade and made that losing trade really early, so I think it sucked.

All of you guys can have your own opinions and base them off of what Dame, Jerami and Josh are doing more so than what Justise is doing compared to what Norm and RoCo are. To be honest it doesn't fucking matter because the trades have been made, we have what we have and I'm cool with what we have but that doesn't mean that we made a good trade with the Clippers.

2. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

or perhaps it's better not be be dogmatically stubborn and unrealistic about the value of what the Blazers traded away (and yeah, that can cut both ways)

Last edited: Oct 24, 2022
    SharpeScooterShooter likes this.
  3. blazerkor

blazerkor Well-Known Member

The thing is that I am over it and then people have to start posting revisionist bullshit in here. Seriously, I'm cool with what we have opposed to what we had at this time last season but I think a healthy Dame has a helluva lot to do with that. So I don't care about those trades anymore. What's done is done.

I didn't bring this shit up and was just calling people out for acting like it was a good trade just because we're doing well. Us doing well does not make a trade we made good just like a team can make a great trade and still perform terribly because these things don't happen in a vacuum.

4. Cugel

Cugel The epitome of mediocrity

Canvas Repairman
    I would like to see Keon out there for a bit, especially when Ant is struggling. I am a much bigger fan of Winslow than I ever was of Roco or Norm.

5. KSF-ERIC

KSF-ERIC Well-Known Member

I disagree.

6. KSF-ERIC

Not fooling myself. What kind of player do you think we could’ve gotten for Norm/RoCo? You act like we could’ve gotten KD and a FRP.

7. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

The problem with discussing these trades is that opponents and proponents are trying to evaluate using completely different criteria. One side is saying "Norm/Roco/CJ were productive enough here that they should have been able to return more; we got terrible value for them", while the other is saying "The players we received fit this team better than the players we sent out; the trade made the team better and that's all that matters". It's a classic process vs results paradigm clash where both sides can be wrong, both can be right, and they will never, never agree.

8. andalusian

andalusian Season - Restarted

If a series of trades brings a team success, even if one of them on paper is not good (and on paper, given this year's performance and price, it was still good) - I say that the strategy had merit.

I am not going to critic a chef for choosing a less premium oil if he believed that oil will pair better with the meat. If the meal is good at the end, that's all that matters.

9. KSF-ERIC

How do you know all options had been exhausted? And how do you know there wasn’t competition for Winslow? Also if Billups said he wanted Winslow, why wait?

10. SharpeScooterShooter

SharpeScooterShooter SharpeShooter

Freeloader
    Outcomes change perspectives. Regardless of you are stubborn or not.
    Outcomes define value. Not projected futures. Not in this case anyhow.
    The market set them at what they were at.
    There is no revisionism going on. Just adjusted perspectives based on additional/recent information.

11. Blazinaway

Blazinaway Well-Known Member

no shit, and Roco it seems has easily seen his best by a good bit, and Powell is looking bad and is paid too much for for too long

12. KSF-ERIC

You overrated Norm and RoCo’s value. You were proposing trades for players like Randle and were pissed your dreams didn’t come true.

SharpeScooterShooter likes this.
  13. KSF-ERIC

If it doesn’t fucking matter, why do you continue to say it like a broken record?

14. KSF-ERIC

On and on and on, you keep bitching about it. When will you stop?

15. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

lol...c'mon man, just look at that sentence and study it for the inconsistency. I mean, if the result of the trades are Portland doing well afterward, isn't that a functional gauge of the trades? And yes, I'm not going to try and separate the trades and judge them in isolation from each other because I don't believe Cronin was doing that. Nor do I believe the Vulcans did that. The LAC trade was essentially dumping a 'bad' contract from the previous GM that was going to hamstring future moves, at the same time as moving a player that was certain to leave in free agency; AND getting under the tax line. And no matter how many tantrums people have about that trade, there is simply no evidence, at all, that Portland could have made a better deal elsewhere

I look at the trade deadline moves and the subsequent off season as a process that Cronin implemented, very likely under specific instructions from ownership and lots of input from Billups. Again, I'm not tearing a component of the process out and judging it in isolation from the rest of the moves. Essentially, this season is a choice between CJ+Powell+Nance+(Johnny Davis/Jalen Duren/AJ Griffin) vs Grant+Hart+Winslow+Keon+Sharpe

personally, I'll take door number two 11 times out of 10 and I'm not going to spend a second fantasizing about there having been better deals out there that Cronin was just too stupid to see. If Olsehy was still the GM and had rebooted his idiot team of the untouchable CJ and Powell at SF, I wouldn't care about the season at all

all that isn't to say I'm 100% behind every move Cronin has made....I'm not. I'm still skeptical about the Ant/Nurkic contracts and I'm really skeptical about hard-capping the team for a 6'2 player considering the roster was already length deficient

I do agree this thread probably didn't need to be resurrected. Pretty predictable what it was going to generate

16. Hoopguru

Hoopguru Well-Known Member

Regardless, this current roster sure is different in many ways this year. And, it's going to be fun to watch how they perform and if there are other trades down the pike.
    I just wish Phil & his side kick could purchase this team this season.

17. Tince

Tince Well-Known Member

This was an enjoyable reread.

We had some folks losing their mind last February because of how bad of a deal this was. Looking back, but we barely gave up much from a talent standpoint, improved from a fit standpoint, and got off some of the awful contracts Olshey stuck us with. I was defending the trade and it's been better than I expected.