Has anyone else notice?

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by magnifier661, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

What confuses me are all the people who lament the fact that we didn't draft Faried, but think we need to get rid of Hickson. Where exactly would Faried have fit in on this team if there's no room for Hickson?

2. magnifier661

magnifier661 B-A-N-A-N-A-S!

Cracking fools in the skull
    Very good point. And we can't really talk contract because Hickson's 4 mil this season is quite the bargain.

3. magnifier661

That's exactly what I'm getting at. I'm not talking like he has turned the corner and is now some decent defender. I am just noticing his activity and effort. Yes other teams are still scoring in the paint, but I am a little curious on what Hickson has done (allowing his man to get a high PER) lately. It just seems like he has done a better job of out performing his competition.

4. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

Good point, but Faried is a better defender than Hickson has ever dreamed of being, so playing him off the bench at both forward positions would be great, Ideal 6th man

5. B-Roy

B-Roy If it takes months

Actually we can. Faried is locked in on a rookie scale contract that pays him around 1.1 million a year. Hicksons 4 million is a bargain, but it's also what it would cost to pay Faried for FOUR years, not to mention the guys is going to get paid very handsomely this off season.

6. magnifier661

Exactly my point. Faried's contract this summer will be past that 3 year. I suspect he will get some sort of increase no? I would suspect it would be in the 9-10 mil per.

7. Natebishop3

Faried is a power forward. He is playing power forward. Koufos is starting at center for them, and McGee is coming off the bench.

How would Faried like being a bench player for us? If he was starting at center, we might be having the same complaints about him that we have about Hickson. In fact, I think Hickson is a better scorer.

8. 3RA1N1AC

3RA1N1AC 00110110 00111001

Fairied is a terrible defender

9. KeepOnRollin

KeepOnRollin Well-Known Member

Faried is slightly undersized for a PF. No way he could make it at Center.

10. magnifier661

I think if we didn't have Hickson and had Faried; he would start at PF and Aldridge would be the center. Don't know how it would improve our defense though.

11. Natebishop3

But it's the same problem that we are currently facing. Aldridge doesn't want to play center.

Funny thing, look at how Faried and Hickson stack up againts each other this season head to head.

December 20th
    Faried - 6 points 3-10 shooting, 8 boards
    Hickson - 18 points 7-16 shooting, 18 boards, 3 block shots

January 15th
    Faried - 21 points 9-12 shooting, 11 boards, 2 steals, 1 block shots
    Hickson - 19 points 7-8 shooting, 13 boards, 2 assists, 2 block shots

February 27th
    Faried - 10 points 5-12 shooting, 8 boards, 4 assists, 4 steals
    Hickson - 18 points 5-9 shooting, 14 boards, 2 assists, 1 steal

We've got one game to go against Denver this season. So far Faried is Hickson's bitch.

12. magnifier661

I hope you don't suspect that I am all goo goo over Faried. I actually 100% agree that Faried would give us the same, if not worse, problems defensively.

AND as much as Aldridge disagrees or doesn't want to; I think he makes a better Center than a PF. He is more efficient, defends other centers better and actually plays better when he's closer to the basket. I wish he would just man up and take the challenge. It may surprise everyone!

But, if we had an opportunity to get a Gortat, Hibbert, McGee, Gasol or Sanders; our team would fucking beast right now!

13. Jayps15

Jayps15 Active Member

Nope, Faried still has 2 more years on his rookie contract, he'll make ~1.4mil next year and ~2.3mil the year after. So basically if we had Faried it would be like retaining Hickson this offseason for only 1.4mil instead of the 7 or so he'll probably make. More depth and more room left over for other pieces.

14. B-Roy

B-Roy If it takes months

What are you talking about mags? Faried is locked in his rookie scale contract. Hickson is the one about to be paid 9-10 million a year.

15. magnifier661

His 2014 is the club option right? Doesn't that mean after next season; his new contract will cap hold the team?

16. B-Roy

B-Roy If it takes months

Nope, Faried was drafted last year. Rookie scale contracts are for 4 years. He's got two to go after this season. After that, he will become a restricted FA unless he signs an extension.

17. magnifier661

I am confused I guess. I thought when a team resigns under the rookie contract; the cap hold is applied. I could be dead wrong. It's not like that hasn't happened before.

18. B-Roy

B-Roy If it takes months

I still don't understand what you're getting at. Faried can sign an extension at the end of next season, but it won't go into affect until two years later. Not sure why you're bringing cap hold into this, Hickson at 9-10 million takes up more cap than Faried's cap hold if he hits restricted free agency.

19. BLAZINGGIANTS

BLAZINGGIANTS Well-Known Member

First two years are guaranteed. Then, before the 2nd season begins, you get the choice to exercise the option on season #3. If you do that, you have to choice to exercise the option on season #4 before season #3 begins (or some shit like that).

That's why Nolan (drafted right before Faried, as we all know) will be a FA this offseason. We did not exercise his option on season #3 before the 2nd season (this season) began. So he's a free agent, and can sign for as much (or as little) as he likes. Faried's options are still tied into his original 2-year rookie contract, based on his draft slot.

20. KeepOnRollin

KeepOnRollin Well-Known Member

Hickson doesn't have a prayer or 9-10 Million. People were saying that a month to two ago and I have told people from the start that it is not true and just now people are coming to their senses and realizing he is getting 5.9 to 6.9 a year. Over MLE but not crazy money.

Edit: Just read this over and it sounds really condescending. Sorry, wasn't my intent.