Haywood and Mike Miller to Portland

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Red Rooster, Jul 26, 2015.

1. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

I could see us taking on Chris Anderson with a pick.
    But we better ask for a 1st because I know they'll definitely give us one for sure.. we better not end up with 2 second rounders because those are bad.

2. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

Again, you're making up facts to fit your scenario. There are moves Olshey could have made if he wanted one of the Cavs excess players. You keep acting like he wanted one but couldn't get them because he somehow screwed himself. We don't know if he wanted any of those players and if he did, he was somehow too incompetent to figure out how to get them? I know that's the narrative you're throwing out there but there is no proof.

3. Draco

Draco Well-Known Member

They literally cannot trade a first round pick away since they've already traded 3 away and have a year of delayed protections on two of them.

They could give us a first round pick swap option though. Has a chance of being worth absolutely nothing if they are better than us but has a chance of us getting the #1 pick.

4. BonesJones

Olshey can get more. Olshey can't settle. Olshey has to do better.

Red Rooster, dviss1 and RR7 like this.
  5. jlprk

jlprk The ESPN mod is insane.

retired, while you work!
    The narrative I'm throwing out is that Olshey's vision, learned from his years under Donald Sterling, is to turn the team into a run-down car. His dream is that we will get an earlier pick each year and after a few years, hit the bonanza in the draft. Allen's vision has always been to win now, except maybe sacrifice for a couple of years at the most. When Pritchard didn't deliver fast enough, he was out.

It has to do with Olshey's long-term strategy possibly lasting as long as the Clippers' one did, not with his competence. He's turning down opportunities to improve now, which I understand, but sometimes he overdoes it.

At least this time you didn't call me a liar. In the other post, you quoted me saying the $75K thing, which is what I noticed, then continued the quote to being about Delly, which I didn't notice, so I reacted to the $75K issue since I was looking right at the posts saying $75K. But you were talking about the second part of the quote. After calling me a liar, you got ME to say I'm sorry. Pretty clever there, maybe I should have fought that more. Well, at least this time, you only phrased the same accusation as, I'm making up stuff. Maybe next time you'll even debate instead of accusing.

SlyPokerDog likes this.
  6. BonesJones

What the hell makes you believe that he's trying to turn this organization into a "run-down car"? Or that he plans to be bad for years hoping he hits a homer in the draft? And what exactly are these "opportunities to get better" he turned down? You keep coming up with unsupported claim after unsupported claim to fit your own pessimistic vision.

7. jlprk

jlprk The ESPN mod is insane.

retired, while you work!
    For someone who hates my posts, you sure have a poor memory of what they said. Here's the post that probably best answers your question about lost opportunities. It includes the previous time you requested assistance to remember what I'd said.

http://www.sportstwo.com/posts/3688248/

By the way, do you have supported claim after supported claim to fit your own goober vision?

8. BonesJones

All you do is beat around the sad little bush. If you had a solid point you could answer those questions easily, but instead you failed to make a valid point, and posted a link to more failure to make a point. Answer those questions concisely and provide something to back up your claims.

By the way, I don't hate your posts, I just hate the doom-and-gloom, sky-is-falling type of fans

dviss1 likes this.
  9. oldmangrouch

oldmangrouch persona non grata

We all have our own coping mechanisms. For some of us, it is just easier to accept that the coming season is going to be brutal and focus on what can be done for the future.

On some level, all sports teams are selling hope. The Blazers really aren't doing a great job of that right now.

10. BonesJones

I understand if someone's down about not making the playoffs next year. Or if they're down because they feel we won't be good for a few years. I dislike someone making up outlandish shit in order to bash Olshey and the FO. Lies like "he's trying to make us bad for years" and "he's turning down opportunities to make us better" are the things I hate. People that are so pessimistic they feel the need to trash the organization for no reason to make themselves feel better.

11. BrianFromWA

BrianFromWA Editor in Chief Staff Member Editor in Chief

If we had 22M in cap space, many are suggesting we could use that in a lopsided trade to get a large contract and some assets. Well, now we have 19M in cap space, two future 2nds, and the ability to keep doing this all season long. Isn't using the cap space in this manner what you're trying to do, anyway? I (no sarcasm) don't get the problem.

I think the days of getting 2 future firsts for taking Kurt Thomas' contract off someone's hands are gone. 3M in cap space for 2 2nds seems a pretty good use of opportunity.

Darkwebs, Red Rooster, dviss1 and 4 others like this.
  12. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

They're doing fine; you're just not interested in the particular brand they're selling at the moment. Most real live humans I've spoken with about the team in the past few weeks see the potential and are excited about the possibilities. You'll come around.

13. Denny Crane

Denny Crane It's not even loaded! Staff Member Administrator

Never lost a case
    upload_2015-7-28_6-10-51.png

It was two trades so the Cavs could get two TPEs.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/1...an-haywood-mike-miller-portland-trail-blazers

Why would any more than $75K each trade be sent out?

LOL

Last edited: Jul 28, 2015
  14. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    If the Blazers outright waive Miller and he signs anywhere for vet minimum, the Blazers' cap hit would be < $1.5M.

15. BrianFromWA

^Close, but not quite. I think you're thinking of "set-off", which means that if he signs for the vet min somewhere else (roughly 1.5M), then Paul doesn't have to pay part of his salary (the 2.8M "normal, non-trade-kicker" salary) minus whatever he signs for minus the 1yr vet minimum, divided by 2.

In number form: If he signs for vet min (1.5M), then PA owes 2.854M - (1.499M-845k)/2 or just about 2.527M. That's the new cap hit (instead of the 2.854M). Miller, of course, gets his 2.854M, his 400k-ish trade kicker, and the vet min (1.499M). So his salary this year is 4.753M...good if you can get it.

Darkwebs and RR7 like this.
  16. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    Yep.

Given that he was paid $2.xM, is he only going to get vet minimum tho?

17. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

Apparently some people still think jlprk is a real poster....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Red Rooster, dviss1, Draco and 5 others like this.
  18. RR7

RR7 Well-Known Member

I sometimes forget that I have him and a few others like him on ignore, and it makes a thread really strange to read.

BonesJones and BlazerWookee like this.
  19. BrianFromWA

to erase him from our cap, he'd need to sign for 6.5M. To get to your "<1.5m" figure, he'd have to sign for about 3.6M

20. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

This.