Haywood and Mike Miller to Portland

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Red Rooster, Jul 26, 2015.

1. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    Is this a good time to start a Brendan Haywood appreciation thread?

2. Harry's Raincoat

Harry's Raincoat Member

Haywood gone. Easy decision.

Miller doesn't have a deadline other than for himself. Blazers hold the cards with him. If he wants to play for a contender, he needs to be bought out. He and his agent will spend considerable time talking with all the contenders to determine how much each/any will offer him. Otherwise, he'll be on our books/cap and gets to suit up for 82 games and never see the court. I think we have time here....expect some announcement during September (prior to Oct fall camp).

3. Chris Craig

Chris Craig (Blazersland) I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

Olshey is dangling miller like a worm right now...waiting for the right bite to come along...like sitting on the river on a quiet evening with no care in the world

dviss1 likes this.
  4. UKRAINEFAN

UKRAINEFAN Well-Known Member

un-retired
    I would never put him on ignore; he is one of the most interesting posters on the board; whether you agree with him or not.
    And I agree with him that a trade should be looked at from the perspective of maximizing your return. It reminds me of a few years back when Cleveland Indians traded two young first round prospects (both doing well in AAA) for a pitcher who hadn't been doing well for the last 18 months. And he did poorly in his first year with the Indians. Well, it happened that the two prospects didn't pan out very well either so posters said it wasn't a bad trade. But the question was "what could the GM have gotten at the time; when those prospects were still highly rated?" well, that was really out there wasn't it?
    Anyway, so i agree with Jlprk's thesis, but I don't think we really know if Olshey could have got better; we just don't have enough facts.

Paine Tablet likes this.
  5. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

Miller and Kaman. Don't think they can both be moved in a package together however (I think...)

6. BrianFromWA

BrianFromWA Editor in Chief Staff Member Editor in Chief

not for another 2 months (wait, right in the middle of training camp/preseason, you say?)

7. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

I think common sense tells us what the going rate was for that type of trade. Most of us expected a 2nd round pick and that's what we got.

I guess Neil could have played hard ball with Cleveland, but although Cleveland getting a trade exception was nice, it was not that crucial for them. They already have a loaded roster.

Also I am not sure Neil wants the reputation of having to "win big" in every trade. He needs friendly trade partners, especially in the other conference. I think he needs to pick his battles, and this was not the time. This trade was fair.

8. tester551

tester551 Well-Known Member

I was thinking it was 30 days from the time they were on your team.

9. BrianFromWA

10. BrianFromWA

But if it was through cap room that we got him, I don't think there's any problem. I would imagine that that was the case.

So after Aug 25, we should be able to aggregate anyone and everyone except our newly-signed free agents, who have to wait until Dec. 15.

11. Reep

Reep Well-Known Member

I think this is a good point. Save the hard ball for important trades. These didn't rise to that level.