Heisley on Gasol trade: "maybe we would’ve gotten more"

Discussion in 'Memphis Grizzlies' started by Dark Defender, Jun 4, 2008.

1. huevonkiller

huevonkiller Change (Deftones)

Student.
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Astral @ Jun 5 2008, 02:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Dude, your main argument is that "if it didn't happen, it couldn't have thus the LA deal was the best one available". There is nothing anyone can tell you that wont make you "right" simply because coming up with proof would require us being someone in the Memphis organization.</div>

I am reporting the News to you, that is not an opinion.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Of course I'm "inventing" stuff. What do you want me to do? Go talk to Chris Wallace and have him write you a letter?</div>

You can't do anything, you're right. You have no case to make.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Logically, this deal fails. Even if by some magic we assume that no one offered something better for Gasol, Chris Wallace should have went on hoopshype and looked at the teams. He should have said "Ok, LA is offering us $9M contract with crap. I see that Miami had $15M in contracts, and I can probably get a much better pick out of them because they're gonna be in the lottery."</div>

Miami never offered this. This is a fact.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>P.S. Universe is completely right. Memphis traded Pau on February 1st, that's almost THREE weeks before the trade deadline. Who in the hell trades their superstar that early? Especially for something that horrible.</div>

Who in the hell waits until the last minute, thinking no other team might take the guy they want away from them? You do not stand by and watch. The Lakers deserve everything they get.

2. Universe

Universe Hall of Fame

They waited two years before that, what's another three weeks to find a better deal?

He said that he thinks Chris didn't look at every option which in reality means the Lakers were the first that year and got the catch.

You saya things are made up yet you say certian deals weren't offered? How do you honestly know that?

3. Kid Chocolate

Kid Chocolate Suspended

for the love of god, stop breaking posts up and multi-quoting them.

4. huevonkiller

Student.
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Universe @ Jun 5 2008, 03:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>They waited two years before that, what's another three weeks to find a better deal?</div>

Why are other GM's so nonchalant? It is more like the Pau trade was bound to happen.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>He said that he thinks Chris didn't look at every option which in reality means the Lakers were the first that year and got the catch.</div>

The trade was made in February after discussions with the Bulls and any of the other teams that cared. Again, not everyone has space for a 16 million dollar a year player, such as Miami for example when they still had to think about Shaq's long contract.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>You saya things are made up yet you say certian deals weren't offered? How do you honestly know that?</div>

Doesn't Chris himself already state there weren't any other better offers? He said that he thinks, he should have dug into other teams a little more, not that he denied a bunch of superior offers. How can you honestly say you know there was something out there at that time? Face it man, you completely forgot about the LT. Gasol makes 16 million a year, not everyone can sign big time free agents.

The only case you have is whether or not they should have waited three weeks or so.

5. huevonkiller

Student.
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kid Chocolate @ Jun 5 2008, 03:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>for the love of god, stop breaking posts up and multi-quoting them.</div>

Please God stop bitching about everything.

It saves me time, I don't have to rephrase the question. I'm not disorganized like some people, and you misread my position as well.

6. huevonkiller

Student.
    As far as the people in this thread are concerned, Chutney and Lavalamp are the only ones to bring up legitimate points in the best fashion.

It is sad to try to change the subject to multi-quoting or pretend-trades. I've felt Chut and Lava have expressed themselves the best here.

7. Universe

Universe Hall of Fame

Bound to happen? Yes it was but at that time? Stupidity.

How come we never heard about Gasol in any rumours before the trade? Maybe because there were no offers because nobody knew he was back on the block. Of course you know the real deal since you have inside sources on this trade.

I know about the luxery tax and teams would have taken the hit if they didn't have to give away valuable talent, wouldn't you think?

It's not a case, it's common knowledge. Jason Kidd demanded a trade three years before but we held tight until the best possible deal was on the table. Grizzlies owned Gasol. He was 27 years old and still producing so they weren't going to lose him to FA. Like you stated, why keep them when they are losing yet why trade him when there is no offers biting for him?

8. huevonkiller

Student.
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Universe @ Jun 5 2008, 04:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Bound to happen? Yes it was but at that time? Stupidity.</div>

Why was it stupid? Not like they had much better out there. They waited plenty of time for other teams.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>How come we never heard about Gasol in any rumours before the trade? Maybe because there were no offers because nobody knew he was back on the block. Of course you know the real deal since you have inside sources on this trade.</div>

How did they not know, and how did Mitch find out then? Pat him on the back for doing his job. You don't know anything as far as the details are concerned.

It is just as valid to state that various GMs around the league did not do their job.
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>I know about the luxery tax and teams would have taken the hit if they didn't have to give away valuable talent, wouldn't you think?</div>

Details?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>It's not a case, it's common knowledge. Jason Kidd demanded a trade three years before but we held tight until the best possible deal was on the table. Grizzlies owned Gasol. He was 27 years old and still producing so they weren't going to lose him to FA. Like you stated, why keep them when they are losing yet why trade him when there is no offers biting for him?</div>

The Grizz held tight until the best deal possible.

As it stands, the LA deal was at least one of the best deals offered, if one wants to say (like Chut/Lava did) that Dallas/Phoenix had comparable deals. In either case this was not a "terrible" deal for the Grizz in comparison to the League.

9. Universe

Universe Hall of Fame

What is Hiensley saying in this interview? Grizzlies should have held on and waited for a better offer.

You're GM gets a pat on the back but it was still a horrible trade for Memphis. Why cannnot you just admit it that the Lakers were the only ones offering?

10. Kid Chocolate

Kid Chocolate Suspended

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (huevonkiller @ Jun 5 2008, 04:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kid Chocolate @ Jun 5 2008, 03:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>for the love of god, stop breaking posts up and multi-quoting them.</div>

It saves me time, I don't have to rephrase the question. I'm not disorganized like some people, and you misread my position as well.

</div>

WWJD? Not pull apart a post and multi-quote it.

It doesn't save time, and it doesn't make you organized.

I don't even know your in depth stance becasue I refuse to read these multi quoted posts, but I'm sure it's ridiculous.

11. huevonkiller

Student.
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Universe @ Jun 5 2008, 06:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>What is Hiensley saying in this interview? Grizzlies should have held on and waited for a better offer.</div>

He said that maybe he could have gotten a better deal, not that at the moment there was one, or that one would have materialized in time. And after the Lakers made the Finals, right?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>You're GM gets a pat on the back but it was still a horrible trade for Memphis. Why cannnot you just admit it that the Lakers were the only ones offering?</div>

Why does it take so long for a GM to get in touch with Memphis? And if it does, that is there problem.

It is just as likely that while the deal is garbage from the Memphis perspective, you do not have very many candidates willing to go into LT which is what occurred with Chicago. I think we easily robbed them, but at the same time the deal is undervalued by the media because there was not much hype surrounding Gasol anyway.

12. Universe

Universe Hall of Fame

Then why pull the trade at that moment? Like I said, Gasol couldn't run away from the franchise since he was just signed.

Again, you are pulling that out of where? Did Wallace say no GM wanted to go over the LT? If so, please post a link because you saying that is just as BS as Kobe23 trade ideas in my books.

13. huevonkiller

Student.
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kid Chocolate @ Jun 5 2008, 06:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (huevonkiller @ Jun 5 2008, 04:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kid Chocolate @ Jun 5 2008, 03:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>for the love of god, stop breaking posts up and multi-quoting them.</div>

</div>

I don't even know your in depth stance becasue I refuse to read these multi quoted posts, but I'm sure it's ridiculous.
    </div>

You're still bitching?

Wow man, move the hell on. I personally like the way it looks, I'm not changing jack though.

14. huevonkiller

Student.
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Universe @ Jun 5 2008, 06:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Then why pull the trade at that moment? Like I said, Gasol couldn't run away from the franchise since he was just signed.

Again, you are pulling that out of where? Did Wallace say no GM wanted to go over the LT? If so, please post a link because you saying that is just as BS as Kobe23 trade ideas in my books.</div>

I will explain to you why it is obvious, because think of what you are suggesting. The Bulls offered much better players for Gasol and they turned that down? A complete conspiracy theory, a team always accepts the best offer known to them at the time. Thus their radioactive contracts came into affect, or Chicago's cheap history.

15. Universe

Universe Hall of Fame

Bulls offer was the year before so how do you know the Bulls and Memphis had chatted before the LA deal? You don't because you assume it was because of money yet they had Gasol for as long as they wanted but decided to pull the trigger a whole month before the deadline rather than shopping him around on draft day.

You can think you're theory but nobody seems to be backing yoou.

16. Kid Chocolate

Kid Chocolate Suspended

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (huevonkiller @ Jun 5 2008, 07:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kid Chocolate @ Jun 5 2008, 06:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (huevonkiller @ Jun 5 2008, 04:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kid Chocolate @ Jun 5 2008, 03:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>for the love of god, stop breaking posts up and multi-quoting them.</div>

</div>

</div>

You're still bitching?

Wow man, move the hell on. I personally like the way it looks, I'm not changing jack though.
    </div>

you bitch more than a woman's field hockey team. geez, relax.

17. huevonkiller

Student.
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Universe @ Jun 5 2008, 06:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Bulls offer was the year before so how do you know the Bulls and Memphis had chatted before the LA deal? You don't because you assume it was because of money yet they had Gasol for as long as they wanted but decided to pull the trigger a whole month before the deadline rather than shopping him around on draft day.</div>

No, it is widely known that the Bulls were cheap. You have no knowledge that there deal was superior, that is the speculation.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>You can think you're theory but nobody seems to be backing yoou.</div>

Not only is that not true, but I don't have to defend facts.

18. huevonkiller

Student.
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kid Chocolate @ Jun 5 2008, 06:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (huevonkiller @ Jun 5 2008, 07:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kid Chocolate @ Jun 5 2008, 06:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (huevonkiller @ Jun 5 2008, 04:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kid Chocolate @ Jun 5 2008, 03:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>for the love of god, stop breaking posts up and multi-quoting them.</div>

</div>

</div>

You're still bitching?

</div>

you bitch more than a woman's field hockey team. geez, relax.
    </div>

Weak joke.

You're lying to yourself, you came in here complaining about absolutely nothing, aka bitching.

I however am trying to have a civil conversation, even though I disagree with these other people.

19. Universe

Universe Hall of Fame

It's not called facts when you stat assumtions. If you believe that the smart move was to deal Gasol three weeks before the deadline while you still had him under contract for 9 million dollars and picks, then so be it. Everyone has disagreed with you but you've spitted out stuff that can only be backed with "it is well known"

You know what's also well known? Gasol was a former All-Star who was putting up big numbers and he was traded for peanuts.

20. huevonkiller

Student.
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Universe @ Jun 5 2008, 06:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>It's not called facts when you stat assumtions.
    If you believe that the smart move was to deal Gasol three weeks before the deadline while you still had him under contract for 9 million dollars and picks, then so be it. Everyone has disagreed with you but you've spitted out stuff that can only be backed with "it is well known"</div>

Ok then, take this for example:

http://www.hoopsvibe.com/nba/nba-news/chic...ol-ar47195.html

It clearly states that people were offering jack for Gasol.

What else have I assumed?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>You know what's also well known? Gasol was a former All-Star who was putting up big numbers and he was traded for peanuts.</div>

And you can provide me with zero links showing better deals.

Further, I would gladly retract any incorrect statements.