Heisley on Gasol trade: "maybe we would’ve gotten more"

Discussion in 'Memphis Grizzlies' started by Dark Defender, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Universe

Universe Hall of Fame

You just showed me better deals right there especailly since their draft picks would have been included. You were all for them creating empty space and there is a 12 million dollar player right in that link you showed me.

With that being said, it showed teams were willing to cross over the LT to get Gasol doesn't it? You haven't shown anything about teams not wanting to cross the LT still.

2. Kid Chocolate

Kid Chocolate Suspended

LOL @ using HoopsVibe as a source.
    Really?

3. huevonkiller

huevonkiller Change (Deftones)

Student.
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kid Chocolate @ Jun 5 2008, 07:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>LOL @ using HoopsVibe as a source.
    Really?</div>

Lol they got it from the Chicago Tribune man...

4. pegs

pegs My future wife.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>the Trail Blazers were believed to be offering Raef LaFrentz and Travis Outlaw.</div>

That's a helluva better deal than Kwame Brown and Javaris Crittenton (BLEH). Add in a couple draft picks, too, since Portland has so many....

But why the hell would the Blazers be making this trade?

5. huevonkiller

Student.
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Universe @ Jun 5 2008, 07:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>You just showed me better deals right there especailly since their draft picks would have been included. You were all for them creating empty space and there is a 12 million dollar player right in that link you showed me.</div>

What draft picks being included?

Obviously it wasn't this godlike trade you had hyped up.
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>With that being said, it showed teams were willing to cross over the LT to get Gasol doesn't it? You haven't shown anything about teams not wanting to cross the LT still.</div>

You haven't shown a better deal. Or else be more specific. I am willing to modify anything I have said.

6. huevonkiller

Student.
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (pegs @ Jun 5 2008, 07:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>the Trail Blazers were believed to be offering Raef LaFrentz and Travis Outlaw.</div>

That's a helluva better deal than Kwame Brown and Javaris Crittenton (BLEH). Add in a couple draft picks, too, since Portland has so many....

But why the hell would the Blazers be making this trade?
    </div>

Lafrentz was not expiring I believe.

7. Universe

Universe Hall of Fame

Why does that matter? They didn't dump Brians contract so they can wait a year with his since you stated that they are trying to free up as much money as possible. Add that with Travis who is expiring and is quite talented and you have youself a better deal already.

Hmm.

8. huevonkiller

Student.
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Universe @ Jun 5 2008, 07:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Why does that matter? They didn't dump Brians contract so they can wait a year with his since you stated that they are trying to free up as much money as possible. Add that with Travis who is expiring and is quite talented and you have youself a better deal already.

Hmm.</div>

None of the players in those deals were expiring. Hmm....

9. Universe

Universe Hall of Fame

Did you not read what I stated? 12 million off the books compared to 9 million and you get Outlaw and maybe even a pick.

So what if it's not this year, Grizzlies aren't landing no big names.

10. huevonkiller

Student.
    They're losing 25 million annually, clearly it was not this "no-brainer".

11. Universe

Universe Hall of Fame

If there losing that much, what's the difference other than better draft picks and better player?

12. pegs

pegs My future wife.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (huevonkiller @ Jun 5 2008, 08:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Universe @ Jun 5 2008, 07:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Why does that matter? They didn't dump Brians contract so they can wait a year with his since you stated that they are trying to free up as much money as possible. Add that with Travis who is expiring and is quite talented and you have youself a better deal already.

Hmm.</div>

None of the players in those deals were expiring. Hmm....
    </div>

Hmm what? I figure it doesn't matter much to them, anyways. They traded away Swift for Collins, who has another year on his contract, as well.

13. cpawfan

cpawfan Monsters do exist

The lack of logic attempting to defend this deal is hilarious. It becomes down right ridiculous when the defender refuses to use logical deduction and goes with where is the link. One can't really be that foolish to believe that all of the offers were published in the media. A lot of NBA players get really pissy when their names are tossed around in trade rumors, so there is a lot of trade discussions that never hit the rumor mill.

I have some information from insiders with two different western conference NBA teams regarding Memphis and this trade. Nothing that I can provide a link to.

1) The season prior, Memphis was turning down offers of more net talent than they received from the Lakers. Expiring contracts were not the main focus of what Memphis wanted. Moving Cardinal along with Gasol was a priority.

2) At the time of the Lakers trade, Memphis was in active, serious discussions with at least 3 other teams. The one that I received information from stated that they were not informed by Memphis that expiring contracts were the #1 priority as Memphis was requesting talented players in return. This team was pissed off that Memphis changed their direction mid-stream and didn't inform them.

3) Leading up to the trade deadline, the majority of teams where trying to trade for Mike Miller. Offers of expiring contracts and draft picks (i.e. the Gasol package) where turned down as the Memphis FO felt they got too little for Gasol and didn't want to make the same mistake again.

In short, the Memphis front office created their own problems and there was a significant difference in what the Memphis FO under West wanted for Gasol and how the Memphis FO under Wallace operated.

14. huevonkiller

Student.
    You're putting words in my mouth...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cpawfan @ Jun 5 2008, 07:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>The lack of logic attempting to defend this deal is hilarious. It becomes down right ridiculous when the defender refuses to use logical deduction and goes with where is the link. One can't really be that foolish to believe that all of the offers were published in the media. A lot of NBA players get really pissy when their names are tossed around in trade rumors, so there is a lot of trade discussions that never hit the rumor mill.</div>

It is not ridiculous, I do not rule out the fact that better deals were possible. One would be foolish to believe the Grizz had declined various lucrative offers, that could easily have been seen as better than what LA had.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>I have some information from insiders with two different western conference NBA teams regarding Memphis and this trade. Nothing that I can provide a link to.

1) The season prior, Memphis was turning down offers of more net talent than they received from the Lakers. Expiring contracts were not the main focus of what Memphis wanted. Moving Cardinal along with Gasol was a priority.

2) At the time of the Lakers trade, Memphis was in active, serious discussions with at least 3 other teams. The one that I received information from stated that they were not informed by Memphis that expiring contracts were the #1 priority as Memphis was requesting talented players in return. This team was pissed off that Memphis changed their direction mid-stream and didn't inform them.

3) Leading up to the trade deadline, the majority of teams where trying to trade for Mike Miller. Offers of expiring contracts and draft picks (i.e. the Gasol package) where turned down as the Memphis FO felt they got too little for Gasol and didn't want to make the same mistake again.

In short, the Memphis front office created their own problems and there was a significant difference in what the Memphis FO under West wanted for Gasol and how the Memphis FO under Wallace operated.</div>

Well cpaw, that's a little unfair.

I think the Grizz changed direction in their trade demands. I've stated form the start that we ripped them off, but at the time they had these trade talks, they were not getting what they wanted. The Lakers had the best deal, correct?

Now had they shopped around, I believe they could indeed get better deals, Dallas and Phoenix seemed to have this capability. Although I would state that LA's deal is underrated. One should not wait for an owner to get in contact with them.

15. pegs

pegs My future wife.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (huevonkiller @ Jun 5 2008, 09:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>I think the Grizz changed direction in their trade demands. I've stated form the start that we ripped them off, but at the time they had these trade talks, they were not getting what they wanted. The Lakers had the best deal, correct?

Now had they shopped around, I believe they could indeed get better deals, Dallas and Phoenix seemed to have this capability. Although I would state that LA's deal is underrated. One should not wait for an owner to get in contact with them.</div>

LA's deal sucked, and everyone knows it. Except you, because for some reason, you feel the need to validate your team's trade. I'm still trying to figure out why.

16. huevonkiller

Student.
    Compared to what other deals pegs?

17. cpawfan

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (huevonkiller @ Jun 5 2008, 09:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>I think the Grizz changed direction in their trade demands. I've stated form the start that we ripped them off, but at the time they had these trade talks, they were not getting what they wanted. The Lakers had the best deal, correct?

Now had they shopped around, I believe they could indeed get better deals, Dallas and Phoenix seemed to have this capability. Although I would state that LA's deal is underrated. One should not wait for an owner to get in contact with them.</div>

From what I was told, Memphis essentially shifted their desires overnight and other teams that were in active discussions weren't even given a chance to switch their offer to an expiring focused offer. Which was strange as prior to the Lakers deal, it was essentially a talent auction that Memphis was conducting to see who would give them the most. Memphis was getting good offers, but they were being greedy.

I believe the Lakers caught them at the right time and the owner is throwing Wallace under the bus.

18. pegs

pegs My future wife.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (huevonkiller @ Jun 5 2008, 09:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Compared to what other deals pegs?</div>

The deals that could've happened by the deadline, or in the summer. I don't need any proof of this, unless you have a crazy machine that could get me into an alternate universe. I just have examples of teams that did wait to make trades...and actually came out making really good deals.

19. huevonkiller

Student.
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (pegs @ Jun 5 2008, 08:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (huevonkiller @ Jun 5 2008, 09:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Compared to what other deals pegs?</div>

The deals that could've happened by the deadline, or in the summer. I don't need any proof of this, unless you have a crazy machine that could get me into an alternate universe. I just have examples of teams that did wait to make trades...and actually came out making really good deals.
    </div>

I agreed that there were better deals possible, not that our deal was so bad compared to other offers.

20. cpawfan

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (huevonkiller @ Jun 5 2008, 09:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>It is not ridiculous, I do not rule out the fact that better deals were possible. One would be foolish to believe the Grizz had declined various lucrative offers, that could easily have been seen as better than what LA had.</div>

Since you added this as I was replying to your first response I'll address it separately.

Quite the contrary, that is what any logical person that follows the NBA should believe (because it is true). NBA types didn't just complain to the media about the deal because they were jealous. They were complaining because of how Memphis treated them during negotiations.