Heisley on Gasol trade: "maybe we would’ve gotten more"

Discussion in 'Memphis Grizzlies' started by Dark Defender, Jun 4, 2008.

1. huevonkiller

huevonkiller Change (Deftones)

Student.
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cpawfan @ Jun 5 2008, 08:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (huevonkiller @ Jun 5 2008, 09:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>It is not ridiculous, I do not rule out the fact that better deals were possible. One would be foolish to believe the Grizz had declined various lucrative offers, that could easily have been seen as better than what LA had.</div>

Since you added this as I was replying to your first response I'll address it separately.

Quite the contrary, that is what any logical person that follows the NBA should believe (because it is true). NBA types didn't just complain to the media about the deal because they were jealous. They were complaining because of how Memphis treated them during negotiations.
    </div>

Alright Cpaw, what I personally find hard to believe, is that they would just 180 like that and not inform at least any of the teams that had been contacting them.

What Shape has always told me, and what sounds right as well, is that the LT was a factor in addition to this new outlook the Grizz developed. The GMs were passive, and they got punished.

2. cpawfan

cpawfan Monsters do exist

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (huevonkiller @ Jun 5 2008, 09:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cpawfan @ Jun 5 2008, 08:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (huevonkiller @ Jun 5 2008, 09:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>It is not ridiculous, I do not rule out the fact that better deals were possible. One would be foolish to believe the Grizz had declined various lucrative offers, that could easily have been seen as better than what LA had.</div>

Since you added this as I was replying to your first response I'll address it separately.

Quite the contrary, that is what any logical person that follows the NBA should believe (because it is true). NBA types didn't just complain to the media about the deal because they were jealous. They were complaining because of how Memphis treated them during negotiations.
    </div>

Alright Cpaw, what I personally find hard to believe, is that they would just 180 like that and not inform at least any of the teams that had been contacting them.

What Shape has always told me, and what sounds right as well, is that the LT was a factor in addition to this new outlook the Grizz developed. The GMs were passive, and they got punished.
    </div>

The tax was only a concern for Chicago last season and a couple of teams making not very serious offers this past season. I know that one of the teams pushing hard for Gasol was already going to be paying the tax.

Chris Wallace was a confirmed Front Office failure from his days in Boston. Trying to put this on the other GMs is ridiculous.

Not only did Memphis pull a 180 during the Gasol negotiations, but at the trade deadline, they pulled Mike Miller off the market on the last day because they didn't want to do another Gasol-style salary dump after negotiating with teams for exactly that.

3. huevonkiller

Student.
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cpawfan @ Jun 5 2008, 08:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>The tax was only a concern for Chicago last season and a couple of teams making not very serious offers this past season. I know that one of the teams pushing hard for Gasol was already going to be paying the tax.

Chris Wallace was a confirmed Front Office failure from his days in Boston. Trying to put this on the other GMs is ridiculous.</div>

You're being pretty vague. So you're saying the Grizz shifted mid-talks, and didn't talk to many people? Even the owner did not seem sure what happened.

4. cpawfan

cpawfan Monsters do exist

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (huevonkiller @ Jun 5 2008, 09:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cpawfan @ Jun 5 2008, 08:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>The tax was only a concern for Chicago last season and a couple of teams making not very serious offers this past season. I know that one of the teams pushing hard for Gasol was already going to be paying the tax.

Chris Wallace was a confirmed Front Office failure from his days in Boston. Trying to put this on the other GMs is ridiculous.</div>

You're being pretty vague. So you're saying the Grizz shifted mid-talks, and didn't talk to many people? Even the owner did not seem sure what happened.
    </div>

I'm saying on trade discussions involving two different players at two different points in the season, the Grizzlies shifted what they wanted to do in mid-stream.

Heisley is an experienced con-man (you don't get that wealthy by being honest at every step) who is trying to salvage what is left of his fan base before he sells the team. I don't see how anyone can take him at face value in that article.

5. huevonkiller

Student.
    Very fair points cpaw, to reiterate though, I believe we still had one of the top deals. I would also say that Shape's input should be respected on this matter as well, seeing as he is a man with his own "sources".

I'm sure Heisley screwed himself out of a deal or 2 with Pau, I only joined the thread because I thought it was getting a bit ridiculous against LA. Yeah we got a freaking steal, no doubt, but we offered more than various teams as well, at least this season.

6. Universe

Universe Hall of Fame

If that is what helps you sleep better at night, then you can have it but everyone else knows that it wasn't.

7. huevonkiller

Student.
    Right back at you. :]

8. Chutney

Chutney MON-STRAWRRR!!1!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (huevonkiller)</div><div class='quotemain'>I only joined the thread because I thought it was getting a bit ridiculous against LA. Yeah we got a freaking steal, no doubt, but we offered more than various teams as well, at least this season.</div>
    There's no reason to blame LA. You can resent them for capitalizing on the situation so well (like me!), but at the end of the day, you can't fault them for trying to improve their team.

If you're annoyed that Gasol was had for so little, blame other owners (who sat on their asses for so long) and the Grizzlies (who actually allowed LA's offer to be the best one available).