Free Agent Hello Trendon Watford

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by South East, Jul 29, 2021.

1. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

it’s like watching a crackhead play basketball.

Nhawz likes this.
  2. theprunetang

theprunetang Shaedon "Deadly Nightshade" Sharpe is HIM

At least no one can ever question his motor. His effort level will not be the thing that ends his career. Haha

3. BBert

BBert Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Selfless Public Servant
    Elleby is the Tankmanian Devil alright.

MVP! MVP! MVP!

Hoopguru likes this.
  4. Fairly-Hard

Fairly-Hard Former Member Gone New!

Here's my look at Watford.
    He has shown some flashes this year where he has been good. He seems to be getting into the flow of games well. Looks like he is a player that can be coached well and Billups seems to have his ear. He's still raw obviously as he has only really played 40 games and of those only started 2. That kind of tells me even the coaches are starting to come around on him. His best game yet has been when he started against the Wizards. That was kind of a funny game though. Watford is listed as a Small Forward and Chauncy started him as a Power Forward with a three guard lineup playing Williams, Hart and Elleby.
    Watford at this point is a project. He has just over 600 mins played and probably needs about 1000 more before we know what we actually have IMO. What i see is a guy who is a bit slow to honestly play SF and a little small to play PF but he plays bigger as he is 240 lbs. He's going to keep growing and getting stronger. He is no threat at all from 3 yet. He might be able to improve there but it doesn't look like that will happen any time soon?
    Advanced stats are acceptable but could improve. He is -1.4 BPM but his total shooting is good. He scores really well around the basket. For the most part his Advanced Stats are not really enough to show where he could be in a year or two.
    He plays defense and his hands get on the ball but he is not a shot blocker and he doesn't really get a bunch of steals. Rebounding needs to improve if he is going to play PF.

I just don't see all the hype for this guy? At this point it seems like he has a place on the team but will be at the end of the bench on a team trying to make a run in the playoffs. He can't stretch the floor and will not replace Little at the SF position. A PF needs to be able to hit a three and he can't do that YET. He is the beneficiary of playing on a team that is tanking so he will continue to get some time. The good thing here is that he needs this and the Blazers are giving him what he needs.

BBert and SharpesTriumph like this.
  5. theprunetang

theprunetang Shaedon "Deadly Nightshade" Sharpe is HIM

I agree with most of this. Fair evaluation. I can't speak for anyone else, but the reason I have some hope for this guy, or why I think he will work out is his ability to drive and dish as a big. That is the wrinkle in his game that makes me take a second look. We have seen how effective it can be having a big guy/defender be able to run some half court offense via Draymond for all these years. Not saying Watford is the next Green. At all. But, his skill set appears to be in a similar mold.

Fairly-Hard, RR7 and Hoopguru like this.
  6. SharpesTriumph

SharpesTriumph Well-Known Member

Yeah I hope we don't trade picks for Grant. I'm leaning towards believing in the next few years Grant on his contract has less value than Watford on his contract.

Now if we get Grant for a TPE or scraps sure I'm fine seeing if he can make improvements in a new environment. But that is not worth giving up a lottery or even mid first round pick.

7. SharpesTriumph

The fan excitement is because the team got him for nothing. If the team had used a top5 lottery pick on him fans would be disappointed. Instead, he seems like he could be a useful bench role player.

If he can just be a slightly below average player but on his super cheap contract then that allows the Blazers to allocate the rest of the salary cap to better starters or youth with higher upside.

The problem with a player like Grant on a huge max deal is he has to be one of the teams 3 best players or there is no way to build a contender out of this roster. Watford could contribute to building a contending roster with tons of other possible players fitting into the roster.

Even if Watford becomes a total bust and worthless, his contract is small so it won't set the team back too much. If a player like Grant underperforms, there is basically no way for the franchise to recover and build a contender. Similar to signed Evan Turner to a massive contract, maybe we can win a playoff series, but we could never contend with that roster construction.

UKRAINEFAN and BBert like this.
  8. Fairly-Hard

If I’m correct he was picked 17th? Not top 10 but he did go pretty high. I would say he was picked about right?

9. SharpesTriumph

Huh? He was undrafted. So at best you could count that as pick 61.

Fairly-Hard and UKRAINEFAN like this.
  10. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

I am not so sure I would agree with him being "raw" at this point. He was a McDonald HS all American (2x Mr.Basketball in Alabama) In college he was:
    • First-team All-SECAP (2021)
    • Second-team All-SEC – Coaches (2021)
    • SEC All-Freshman Team (2020)
    So for a rookie I don't view him as raw, just a rookie who like all rookies needs time to adjust to the next level. IMO he was not drafted because at 6'8" the scouts thought he was a tweener. But a PF in the 240 range is not small these days. And his 7'2" 1/4 wing is decent as well.

I agree that he needs a 3 pt shot to be more effective, but he must be improving in that area or the coaches would not be encouraging him to take more. His stroke looks good. And his floater or whatever that push shot he has is a pretty good weapon in the paint. But as many have mentioned it is his handles as a PF that are so intriguing. Watford will not be a star by any means but he looks to be a very good complementary piece that you can match with almost anyone on the floor.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2022
    TBpup and BBert like this.
  11. Rastapopoulos

Rastapopoulos Well-Known Member

Ballin'
    What Trendon was up to exactly one year ago today:

(Notice that he's up against Herb Jones, who will almost certainly make the all-rookie team this year.)

Last edited: Mar 14, 2022
  12. BBert

BBert Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Selfless Public Servant
    Wait, what? That guy was undrafted?

BIG Q and UKRAINEFAN like this.
  13. Fairly-Hard

Yeah just looked . Thanks. Two year player.

14. Fairly-Hard

So this intrigued me. So I looked.
    They all seem to agree he was a very good player.
    His problems were lack of athletic ability and he had no jumper to speak of.
    Pretty much his problems now as well.

15. Rastapopoulos

Rastapopoulos Well-Known Member

Ballin'
    Other players with the same problems when they declared for the draft:
    Andre Miller
    Jimmy Butler
    Ricky Rubio
    Draymond Green...

I think his main problem was that they didn't think his game translated. He was used to being a focal point of the offense (which was largely in the paint) and seemed completely uninterested in defense. Sometimes you're right not to draft those kind of players. Sometimes (e.g., Fred VanVleet) it turns out players like that can make it work in the pros too.

Eastoff, TBpup and UKRAINEFAN like this.
  16. Fairly-Hard

That would be cool if all that happens but as it stands he still can’t shoot. I seen players improve there also.

17. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

As of right now, he kind of can.

For March he is 50% from the field, 88% from the line, 36% from 3.

Now is he a stretch 4? Not at the moment, but I like his inside game and his 3ball has promise.

Kell, TBpup and blazerfan11 like this.
  18. Fairly-Hard

Nah. Most of that from the field is right around the basket and he’s like 22% from three this year. Also was like 0-3 last game from 3.
    He’s still got work to do. He’s never gonna be Midrange Melo but he needs a jumper.
    Let’s see where he is with another summer and season.

19. UKRAINEFAN

UKRAINEFAN Well-Known Member

un-retired
    Over his last ten games he is over 41% from three.

Pinwheel1 likes this.
  20. PCmor7

PCmor7 Generational Poster

Saying this for years
    I totally missed the boat on Watford.

Two things really stand out to me about him.

1. He can dribble the ball. I can't think of many forwards we've had that I feel this comfortable bringing the ball up the floor against pressure. Reminds me a bit of Batum in that respect, and that's a BIG advantage to have someone other than a guard who is that solid with the handle.

2. He's very savvy, especially considering his age. He's physically limited, but he must be a sponge when it comes to accepting coaching and picking things up. You could actually see him noticeably improve from game to game in some respects. Plus, he makes foul shots. Fundamentally, he's solid.

The athletic limitations probably stick him as a back-up 4 if you figure him into the rotation of a team that could win in the playoffs, but I've changed my opinion on him. He's got what it takes to stick or even to be a chip in a trade.