Free Agent Hello Trendon Watford

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by South East, Jul 29, 2021.

1. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

Watford is more talented offensively than either Aminu or Harkless, by far.

2. Blazinaway

Blazinaway Well-Known Member

Yep, helluva contract from Blazers perspective:

"The contract is reportedly worth $5.8 million over four years, according to Adrian Wojnarowski of ESPN. The final two years of the contract will be non-guaranteed. To make room for the signing, the Trail Blazers waived Dennis Smith Jr."

3. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

I don't know about the "by far", but ok

I've been watching him and I haven't seen him do a very good job in perimeter defense when he gets any distance from the paint. Maybe that's simply an issue of experience; maybe he has some issues with reaction and lateral mobility. He's certainly not as good as Aminu was on defense; nor is he as good a rebounder. So his offense would have to offset those deficiencies. I'm not saying he can't get there, but he does have quite a ways to go

still though, he doesn't solve Portland's biggest problem of not having at least one high-level 2-way wing.

Hoopguru likes this.
  4. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

Career averages
    Chief: 7.5 ppg, 1.2 apg
    Moe: 6.9 ppg, 0.9 apg

Neither could create to save their lives and offered very little offensively besides inconsistent shooting.

So yes, by far.

5. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

Watford career average 6.6 points and 1.3 assists

6. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

Watford finished March averaging 15.4 PPG (50% shooting), 6.7 RPG, 3.4 APG, 1 SPG, 1 BPG. I've mentioned before that there are roughly 10 players in the entire league that average at least 1 block and steal per game. Of that list, the only players that also average at least 3 assists and 15 points are:

Jokic
    LeBron
    Embiid
    Giannis
    Vucevic
    KAT

I dont see Watford being a 15 ppg guy going forward, and that's only because I dont see him getting enough touches. He's definitely capable of being that, but hes also averaged nearly 12 shots per game this month. Thats not sustainable with everyone else healthy. But he doesn't need the touches to impact the game, which is why I think hes a great fit in the starting unit (as is Winslow) with Dame, Ant, Nurk, and Nas/Hart. With Watford (or Winslow,) Nurk, Dame, and Ant, youve got four plus playmakers. That sounds like Billups ball to me. Watford also needs a guy like Nurk next to him, he cant bang with centers like Jokic, Embiid, etc. Hes strictly a four that can play the five against small lineups, ala Nance.