Hibbert

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Scalma, Apr 18, 2015.

1. Charcoal Filtered

Charcoal Filtered Writing Team

I would love to see Hibbert play with this group. Having a true PG and more of a supporting cast would work wonders for his numbers. I do not think it would take more than Lopez to grab him though. It would only take salary filler to make the numbers work.

2. Rastapopoulos

Rastapopoulos Well-Known Member

Ballin'
    This. Hibbert has all of Rolo's deficiencies - not a scorer, slow of foot, and is barely better at what he does well. It's been a down year for both of them, but Hibbert is owed, as you say, 15M. If Rolo left anyway, and Indy were desperate to offload him, or if they went so far as to waive him, then sure. But I think what we need more is a more mobile defensive center.

Now, if we could get Marc Gasol...

3. Roger Templeton

Roger Templeton Member

You want to replace Lopez with someone worse? Hibbert had a zero pt zero rb playoff game last year. Indiana doesn't even want him back. He's a stiff.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on...-style-roy-hibbert-might-be-benched-next-year

4. BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94

BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94 AWOL

Gasol would take so much pressure off LA and Dame... Ugh, if only Portland could get big free agents.

5. Roger Templeton

Roger Templeton Member

Marc Gasol would be perfect, alas it won't happen :(

I would love DeAndre Jordan, but he isn't leaving LA. It's a shame Hassan Whiteside isn't a free agent.

6. Roger Templeton

Roger Templeton Member

I think Portland could with Dame and LaMarcus here. Problem is, there are no big free agents looking to leave losing teams. IF Marc Gasol was looking to leave a bad Memphis team, I think we would have a great shot at getting him. Horrible timing where we have space for another max contract but there is no superstar looking to leave at a wing or C position.

7. JFizzleRaider

JFizzleRaider Sad Panda Global Moderator

Please. He is a two time all star and an incredibly studly defensive player. Sure, he has motivation issues and is upset with Indy, but I think he would have all the motivation In the world with our guys. Just as long as lillard doesnt bang his girl like Paul George is rumored to have

Last edited: Apr 18, 2015
  8. BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94

I think Indiana just isn't set up for Hibbert to be used effectively. They don't have a point guard and his front court teammate is basically the same player just 6 inches shorter and more aggressive. Add that to all the drama that team has been through, he needs a change of scenery.

9. BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94

Hmmmmm maybe Frazier can be used to destroy Conley's knees and Freeland can end Z-bo.

10. riverman

riverman Writing Team

I know Olshey really likes DeAndre Jordan

BigGameDamian likes this.
  11. riverman

riverman Writing Team

To Hibbert's credit, he never wanted to stay in Indiana. Sometimes a change of culture can boost a guy's game. He's expensive compared to Rolo for a rim protector. I really like Rolo's free throw shooting and chemistry with Nico on the pick and roll.

12. magnifier661

magnifier661 B-A-N-A-N-A-S!

Cracking fools in the skull
    Keeping Lopez and sign and trading filler for pacers should be enough. Larry Bird knows that Hibbert's value is at an all time low. They would love to get his contract off their books

13. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

Gasol or bust!

dviss1 likes this.
  14. Roger Templeton

Roger Templeton Member

He averages 10 and 7. I DGAF what is going on in your personal life, if a 7'3" center has multiple 0 pt 0 reb/ 1 pt 1 reb games in the PLAYOFFS I do not want him on my team. He's soft and weak minded. He is a center that has never crossed that 50% FG threshold that you expect of big men, and has never gotten over 9 rebs a game, let alone 10. That is pathetic. He was an all star by default because he was a center in an Eastern Conference with no centers, and the next year when they removed the C spot and made it three "frontcourt" players he was an all star by default because the Pacers had the best record in the east.

The dude has not been the same since his good play against the Heat in the 2013 ECFs. Do not want.

edit - I see that he has a 15 mill player option for next year. Assuming he doesn't opt out, I would be perfectly fine with a trade for him given that he only has one year left on his deal to give him a shot. The one year deal makes the gamble worth it. Better than signing Lopez to an 9 mill a year contract.

dviss1 likes this.
  15. magnifier661

magnifier661 B-A-N-A-N-A-S!

Cracking fools in the skull
    I think this would be such a pipe dream. But hey!!! If we sweep them in the first round, I bet he will consider it! :)

16. BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94

He's gonna sign for one reason and one reason only.

LaMarcGasoldridge

magnifier661 likes this.
  17. S550

S550 Member

Damn has Lopez fallen off that much that we now actively talk about who can replace him?

18. JFizzleRaider

JFizzleRaider Sad Panda Global Moderator

When we look at upgrading our starting lineup it's him or batum, and honestly there aren't many sfs better than batum. Hibbert is an upgrade of a weakness of ours over Lopez

19. BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94

We can't really upgrade from Batum but we sure as hell could replace him with a 3andD player and upgrade the bench.

20. Blazinaway

Blazinaway Well-Known Member

keep in mind Hibbert can opt out this summer if he wants to, we could just sign him instead of Rolo if we chose to - assuming of course he did opt out, I remember Hibberts agent being very complimentary of the way Por handled Hibberts FA last time around