Politics Hillary is done

Discussion in 'Blazers OT Forum' started by Denny Crane, Mar 10, 2015.

1. Denny Crane

Denny Crane It's not even loaded! Staff Member Administrator

Never lost a case
    I don't see her coming out of the email scandal with support from most democrats. It is just the latest of many scandals during her and her husband's careers. It's hard to justify defying the law as she did and does in defending herself.

The Clinton Global Initiative is also getting heat from taking foreign donations, appearance of quid pro quo in many cases, and the donors are of questionable character.

2. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    Ron Fournier (formerly a long time writer for AP) of the National Journal links the two scandals together.

http://www.nationaljournal.com/twen...-play-whispers-at-clinton-foundation-20150308

Emails May Be a Key to Addressing 'Pay-to-Play' Whispers at Clinton Foundation
    There are not two Clinton controversies. There is one big, hairy deal.

March 8, 2015 "Follow the money." That apocryphal phrase, attributed to Watergate whistle-blower "Deep Throat," explains why the biggest threat to Hillary Rodham Clinton's presidential dreams is not her emails. It's her family foundation. That's where the money is: corporate money, foreign money, gobs of money sloshing around a vanity charity that could be renamed "Clinton Conflicts of Interest Foundation."

What about the emails? Hillary Clinton's secret communications cache is a bombshell deserving of full disclosure because of her assault on government transparency and electronic security. But its greatest relevancy is what the emails might reveal about any nexus between Clinton's work at State and donations to the Bill, Hillary & Chelsea Clinton Foundation from U.S. corporations and foreign nations.

Under fire, Bill Clinton said his namesake charity has "done a lot more good than harm"—hardly a ringing endorsement. One of his longest-serving advisers, a person who had worked directly for the foundation, told me the "longtime whispers of pay-to-play are going to become shouts."

This person, a Clinton loyalist and credible source, has no evidence of wrongdoing but said the media's suspicions are warranted. "The emails are a related but secondary scandal," the source said. "Follow the foundation money."

3. BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94

BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94 AWOL

Gozillary will somehow find a way to win.

4. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    Like she did against Obama.

5. Further

Further Guy

Stuff doer
    I would love for someone who isn't so deeply entrenched as a Clinton or a Bush win. I haven't been following the email scandals closely, but regardless I'm someone who generally votes Democrat and isn't thrilled with Hillary as the top choice. I would likely vote for her over most Republicans based solely on the issues, but I'm hopeful that there will be a legitimate third party option that breaks us out of the stale routine we've been in for ages. If the Republicans go for a super right whackjob like a Santorum and the Democrats go with Hillary and all her baggage, I think the situation will be ripe for a more common sense middle ground third party, or Libritarian leaning candidate to emerge. And even though I'm not a Libertarian or might not agree on a lot of issues, I'd have to give a lot of credit to the idea that a real shakeup could help this country in the long run.

santeesioux and donkiez like this.
  6. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    I think she'll be explaining away her history of scandals, going back to cattlegate, rose law firm billing records, etc., and not talking about policy.

I really don't think she was a good Secy of State or senator, really. I don't know what people see in her.

The email thing is she had a private email server she used as secy. of state. She kept her transactions hidden from Obama and his staff. She's dodging FOIA, too. And she's deleting those emails, which belong in the public record/archives.

Turns out Bill got paid $50,000 a month from just one of his consulting gigs with his charity's vendors as a way to bilk it for cash.

7. BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94

BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94 AWOL

It was obvious that they planned it out, 8 lackluster years of Obama... Hillary's campaign slogan "Should've picked me" Republicans in on the plan put out a Bush/Santorum ticket.

SlyPokerDog likes this.
  8. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    I think Santorum is a fringe candidate. He's not getting the VP nod.

9. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

Not defending her because I don't like her but if I was in her position I would have done the exact same thing. Remember the fool at IRS whose computer broke so he "lost" all of his emails?

10. KingSpeed

KingSpeed Veteran

actor
    I've wanted Hillary to be President since 2004. I've waited a long fucking time (I gave a lot of money in 2008 and was very upset she lost) and am glad she'll finally get there. She'll survive this "scandal."

11. HomerLovesKoolAid

HomerLovesKoolAid I have a well-known member.

That's it. I'm voting Palin.

12. MARIS61

MARIS61 Real American

retired Yankee
    An email "scandal"? (shudder)

C'mon now, really? That's what you're hanging your hat on?

Stevenson likes this.
  13. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

14. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    A number of people at the IRS mysteriously had their email disappear.

15. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/storie...ME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2015-03-11-02-02-28

FACT CHECK: CLINTON AND HER EMAILS

BY JACK GILLUM AND STEPHEN BRAUN
    ASSOCIATED PRESS

WASHINGTON (AP) -- How Hillary Rodham Clinton's statements about her exclusive use of private email instead of a government account as secretary of state compare with the known facts:

CLINTON: "Others had done it."

THE FACTS: Although email practices varied among her predecessors, Clinton is the only secretary of state known to have conducted all official unclassified government business on a private email address. Years earlier, when emailing was not the ubiquitous practice it is now among high officials, Colin Powell used both a government and a private account. It's a striking departure from the norm for top officials to rely exclusively on private email for official business.

---

CLINTON: "I fully complied with every rule I was governed by."

THE FACTS: At the very least, Clinton appears to have violated what the White House has called "very specific guidance" that officials should use government email to conduct business.

Clinton provided no details about whether she had initially consulted with the department or other government officials before using the private email system. She did not answer several questions about whether she sought any clearances before she began relying exclusively on private emails for government business.

Federal officials are allowed to communicate on private email and are generally allowed to conduct government business in those exchanges, but that ability is constrained, both by federal regulations and by their supervisors.

Federal law during Clinton's tenure called for the archiving of such private email records when used for government work, but did not set out clear rules or punishments for violations until rules were tightened in November. In 2011, when Clinton was secretary, a cable from her office sent to all employees advised them to avoid conducting any official business on their private email accounts because of targeting by unspecified "online adversaries."

---

CLINTON: "I did not email any classified material to anyone on my email. There is no classified material."

THE FACTS: The assertion fits with the facts as known but skirts the issue of exchanging information in a private account that, while falling below the level of classified, is still sensitive.

The State Department and other national security agencies have specified rules for the handling of such sensitive material, which could affect national security, diplomatic and privacy concerns, and may include material such as personnel, medical and law enforcement data. In reviewing the 30,000 emails she turned over to the State Department, officials are looking for any security lapses concerning sensitive but unclassified material that may have been disclosed.

---

CLINTON: "It had numerous safeguards. It was on property guarded by the Secret Service. And there were no security breaches."

THE FACTS: While Clinton's server was physically guarded by the Secret Service, she provided no evidence it hadn't been compromised by hackers or foreign adversaries. She also didn't detail who administered the email system, if it received appropriate software security updates, or if it was monitored routinely for unauthorized access.

Clinton also didn't answer whether the homebrew computer system on her property had the same level of safeguards provided at professional data facilities, such as regulated temperatures, offsite backups, generators in case of power outages and fire-suppression systems. It was unclear what, if any, encryption software Clinton's server may have used to communicate with U.S. government email accounts.

Recent high-profile breaches, including at Sony Pictures Entertainment, have raised scrutiny on how well corporations and private individuals protect their computer networks from attack.

---

CLINTON: "When I got to work as secretary of state, I opted for convenience to use my personal email account, which was allowed by the State Department, because I thought it would be easier to carry just one device for my work and for my personal emails instead of two. Looking back, it would've been better if I'd simply used a second email account and carried a second phone, but at the time, this didn't seem like an issue."

THE FACTS: If multiple devices were an inconvenience in the past, they may be something of an obsession now. Clinton told an event in California's Silicon Valley last month that she has an iPad, a mini-iPad, an iPhone and a BlackBerry. "I'm like two steps short of a hoarder," she said. She suggested she started out in Washington with a BlackBerry but her devices grew in number.

Smartphones were capable of multiple emails when she became secretary; it's not clear whether the particular phone she used then was permitted to do so under State Department rules.

16. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
  17. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    I'm not so sure about Rand Paul. he's not his father.

18. jlprk

jlprk The ESPN mod is insane.

retired, while you work!
    Exactly. But the Republicans own the mass media, so they play up or play down what they want burned into our memories. Here's a scandal they're playing down right now, hoping we won't notice...the assassination of a Republican by other Republicans.

http://theweek.com/speedreads/54154...e-after-alleging-antisemitic-whisper-campaign

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory/missouri-auditor-dies-apparent-suicide-police-29264707

19. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
  20. julius

julius Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

singer songwriter
    fabricated scandals and premature declarations of 'so and so is done' because of said fabricated scandals make for entertaining times.