Homosexuals in the NBA

Discussion in 'NBA General' started by Rudeezy, Jun 11, 2004.

1. 30 standing ver

30 standing ver JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting cubanballer:</div><div class="quote_post">Your points, one by one:

1. Exactly which word I didn't use appropriately? Read the definition again. Of course, none of us would like to think we are prejudiced. It's a strong word. But to me, you and your sister and many others in this tread have a prejudiced attitude against gays. I don't claim to be right, I leave that to the fundamentalists.

2. I'm not discriminating against your sister, I just don't agree with her views (but I approve that she's strong in her beliefs, that's what makes for a good debate). Again, read my post. I have no power to do anything against her, so I can't discriminate.

3. When your sister (and others) says "I accept them as people but their lifestyle is wrong" she's trying to separate the two, so that in their minds they feel "accepting" of the person. But a gay person is the whole, just like a straight person is. I'm defined among other things by being a married man, and I'll feel offended if you told me not to talk about the fact that I'm married to my wife, or not to wear my wedding ring. But you guys don't think twice about asking the same thing to a gay person - stay in the closet, cut out the stickers and the parades. Clear enough now?

And by the way, I'm Hispanic. I have a pretty good idea of how it feels to be discriminated against, so don't go there. It'll be very hypocritical of me to do unto others what I don't like done unto me.</div>

Whoo, cubanballers, Emo, and sactown posts are some good reads. There's strong convictions by alot of posters here.

2. TimmyGinobili

TimmyGinobili JBB JustBBall Member

Wow! This topic surprised me, but its hard for me to believe that there any homosexuals in the nba. I wonder what T-mac is exactly talking about when he says he witnessed that. 5 percent I don't know.

3. Johnny33

Johnny33 JBB JustBBall Member

i read Jordan called Kwame Brown a flaming fa%%ot... but that's just what I read..

4. unbeliever

unbeliever JBB JustBBall Member

To respond to the people who think being gay is a choice, I guess that means being straight is a choice as well. You're not naturally attracted to the opposite sex, you have to make yourself want to have sex and get married to them. I applaud your valiant struggle to assert your heterosexuality.

Personally my own heterosexuality was just part of how I was born. I am naturally attracted to women and have no interest in, and am not attracted to, men. Guess what, that's how most homosexuals feel about their orientation as well. You're attracted to a certain gender and you shouldn't be punished for it by narrow-minded conservative bigots who want only their beliefs supported by the law.

5. hagrid

hagrid JBB JustBBall Member

I cannot believe this thread has gotten this far. Color me pleasantly surprised that it's been handled in a mature manner so as to not been shut down.

My personal thanks to all those who have participated and kept it clean and on point. :thumbsup:

6. TimmyGinobili

I've never heard of a gay person being good at basketball though.

7. hagrid

hagrid JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">I've never heard of a gay person being good at basketball though.</div>

At what level? In the NBA, you won't, because the present social climate dictates that they stay in the closet. That status quo sucks, IMO, but it's the present reality until someone smashes that barrier, which I hope is soon.

As far as in general, I have a good friend, who's openly gay, who regularly outplays me and I played at the College level.

If you can play, it doesn't matter.

8. harbingerofdoom

harbingerofdoom JBB JustBBall Member

I have really avoided this thread for a while now, but what the heck.. now seems like a good time to post.

Im getting pretty tired of hearing about gays and gays rights. I used to work in a very large call center for a very large internet company and because of the very relaxed atmosphere and corporate culture there, there were a LOT of gays and lesbians (around 25% of the place were openly gay, out of around 750 employees at that site alone) Many of them were activists, and not only for gay rights. but for tree rights, earth rights, my left nut rights.... you name it... Being what i would call a moderate conservative, this lead to many interesting discussions with some of those people (three of whom became some of my best friends). I was finally able to get the MAJOR activist to agree with me on one issue. If you are gay, you dont have to tell me. I am not going to die without that knowledge. And while yes, I may not know what a wonderfull person they are, my life will not be bereft of meaning because of it. if EVERYONE kept their sex life to themselves, there would be no need to have discussions like this.
    My thoughts are: If you are gay... good for you. I dont really care. much in the same way that you dont care if im straight. Celebrating your lifestyle will not make me a lofty and more succesfull person, just as you helping me change flat on the side of the freeway will not make you a better person than the next. Gays have no rights. But before you condemn me for that comment, think about it.. i have no "sexually related" rights either. im just a guy tryin to get laid and there is nothing in the constitution regarding the right to get laid peaceably. I prefer the millitary's idea... i wont ask, you dont tell we'll be just fine.

9. 30 standing ver

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting TimmyGinobili:</div><div class="quote_post">I've never heard of a gay person being good at basketball though.</div>

Lesbians I've played against when I was little killed me. They're pretty good, but I can't let no girl beat me now. And as far as guys, I've only played against 1 guy like that. But he doesn't really ball so of course he isn't that good. So, so far I haven't played against a good homosexual ball player yet.

10. DarkCloud

DarkCloud JBB JustBBall Member

Harbinger i understand what you are trying to say about "sexually-realted" rights. But you're wrong. Straight people have rights gays don't. Here' just a one example the right to marriage. I know recently alot of gay people got married but those unions are not recognized through out the country.

When you're straight it's real easy to say everyone should keep their sexual orientation to themselves because you don't have to hide yours. You could walk down the street holding your girls hand without worring what people will do or say to you. Everyone will be accepting of your relationship. Unfortunately we still live in world where gays are treated differently. I forget the kids name but there was a guy in texas who was murdered for being gay. And on top of that Anti-gay groups actually showed up at and protested against gays at his funeral.

It's funny how alot of people with hang-ups about gays start quoting the bible to support their intolerant views. They always forget that bible also tells us not to Judge others and to do unto others as you would have done on to you.

11. cubanballer

cubanballer JBB JustBBall Member

And I'll add to that:

Being able to marry is more than a ceremony. It means that you can apply for loans together and get a better interest rate. You can get spouse benefits like health insurance and life insurance from your spouse's company. You sell a house, you don't get taxed for the first 500K of capital gain (singles is 250K). Married couples get a better tax rate than singles filing separatedly. They also get much better rates in car insurance and life insurance. If you are sick, your spouse has the right to visit you in the hospital and make decisions about your care if you can't. If you die without a will, your spouse automatically inherits your estate. Your spouse can't be compelled to testify against you in a court of law.

Gay couples don't have any of these rights. Seems fair to any of you?

12. TimmyGinobili

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting 30 standing ver:</div><div class="quote_post">Lesbians I've played against when I was little killed me. They're pretty good, but I can't let no girl beat me now. And as far as guys, I've only played against 1 guy like that. But he doesn't really ball so of course he isn't that good. So, so far I haven't played against a good homosexual ball player yet.</div>

Yeah lesbian are different, I have seen a couple good lesbian women in sports. Like tennis there are a couple lesbian women that have came out of the closet. As for gay men I haven't seen any that have came out of the closet that are good at basketball or any sports. I have seen a couple gay people play basketball and there not good its just not there thing.

13. Einitials

Einitials JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting cubanballer:</div><div class="quote_post">And I'll add to that:

Being able to marry is more than a ceremony. It means that you can apply for loans together and get a better interest rate. You can get spouse benefits like health insurance and life insurance from your spouse's company. You sell a house, you don't get taxed for the first 500K of capital gain (singles is 250K). Married couples get a better tax rate than singles filing separatedly. They also get much better rates in car insurance and life insurance. If you are sick, your spouse has the right to visit you in the hospital and make decisions about your care if you can't. If you die without a will, your spouse automatically inherits your estate. Your spouse can't be compelled to testify against you in a court of law.

Gay couples don't have any of these rights. Seems fair to any of you?</div>
    Gay couples are not the only ones who are being deny these rights. Bigamists, Polygamists, incestuous couples, and underage couples are all deny these rights.

Even though I don't agree with the lifestyles of homosexuals, I don't see why they can't marry. After all it is their lives and it is not affecting me. Hopefully, it will pave the way to the other types of marriages which I have listed above.

14. Einitials

Einitials JBB JustBBall Member

Stop talking about same-sex marriages and lets focus on the real basketball topic at hand.

15. 30 standing ver

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting DarkCloud:</div><div class="quote_post">Harbinger i understand what you are trying to say about "sexually-realted" rights. But you're wrong. Straight people have rights gays don't. Here' just a one example the right to marriage. I know recently alot of gay people got married but those unions are not recognized through out the country.

When you're straight it's real easy to say everyone should keep their sexual orientation to themselves because you don't have to hide yours. You could walk down the street holding your girls hand without worring what people will do or say to you. Everyone will be accepting of your relationship. Unfortunately we still live in world where gays are treated differently. I forget the kids name but there was a guy in texas who was murdered for being gay. And on top of that Anti-gay groups actually showed up at and protested against gays at his funeral.

It's funny how alot of people with hang-ups about gays start quoting the bible to support their intolerant views. They always forget that bible also tells us not to Judge others and to do unto others as you would have done on to you.</div>

Unless it's a interacial couple. That's still a problem for quite a bit of ppl till this day. Anyways, I agree with what you and cubanballer has posted. Very good points.

16. TimmyGinobili

You sure about that willis? I see a lot...lot more mixed babes lately. My sister is one and I don't think its all that wierd.

17. 30 standing ver

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting TimmyGinobili:</div><div class="quote_post">You sure about that willis? I see a lot...lot more mixed babes lately. My sister is one and I don't think its all that wierd.</div>

Yeah and I'm one of them. But ppl still have problems with that. Like I posted earlier, this philipino dad didn't want me to date his daughter who's philipino/hawaiian. He doesn't like black guys, but I'm hawaiian as well too.
    But white guys are ok cause that's who she's dating now. Mug looks like Egore, but anyways, that even happens here in Hawaii. Majority of local ppl here are mixed, but narrowed mindeness like that still goes on.

18. TimmyGinobili

Well of course its going to go on in selective places, but I still believe it has become widely accepted over the last few years. I am sorry that that happened, but it could be due to the fact that he may be very old fashioned and doesn't want to conform to the present day society. I am white and I have a black sister, now 40, 20, maybe even 10 years ago that would be wierd and seriously frowned opon. I don't notice it at all, and I live around a lot of people that are interracial couples. There are people who do think that its wrong and it should be stoped but they don't speak for the majority.

19. 30 standing ver

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting TimmyGinobili:</div><div class="quote_post">Well of course its going to go on in selective places, but I still believe it has become widely accepted over the last few years. I am sorry that that happened, but it could be due to the fact that he may be very old fashioned and doesn't want to conform to the present day society. I am white and I have a black sister, now 40, 20, maybe even 10 years ago that would be wierd and seriously frowned opon. I don't notice it at all, and I live around a lot of people that are interracial couples. There are people who do think that its wrong and it should be stoped but they don't speak for the majority.</div>

Ol fashion my ass. He's just racist, he's philipino and his wife is Hawaiian. That's what makes it worse. Dag, totally got off topic hear. Sorry bout that ya'll.

20. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting 30 standing ver:</div><div class="quote_post">Ol fashion my ass. He's just racist, he's philipino and his wife is Hawaiian. That's what makes it worse. Dag, totally got off topic hear. Sorry bout that ya'll.</div>
    I feel where you're coming from. Don't forget it happens both ways. I bet the father of Halle Barry would frown on a white boy dating his daughter even though she's half white herself. It's like the whole double standards thing.