OT Honeymoon over with Barton in Denver?

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Natebishop3, Feb 25, 2017.

1. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

Some of these posts in here are full of shit. I would MUCH rather have Will Barton right now than Allen Crabbe.. At least he can get his own shot.

WillG likes this.
  2. riverman

riverman Writing Team

Well if you bring AC into the swap, I don't think anyone would argue...Will never disappears on the court...AC does for stretches.

3. Rhal

Rhal Well-Known Member

UPS
    You would rather have a player who is shooting significantly better then he has his entire career from 3 but is still shooting significantly worse then Crabbe at it, also shoots worse from 2. Has to have the ball in his hands, and isn't any better of a defender then Crabbe is, does avg a rebound and 2 assists more with only 1 more turnover then Crabbe though. Barton does get to the line more because he attacks the basket a LOT more then Crabbe does.
    contract for contract i'd rather have Barton. Take the contracts out and just look at the players and Crabbe fits what we want to do, especially when turner is healthy, so much better then what Barton does. Crabbe doesn't have to have the ball in his hands, something that Barton has to, which is great since we have 3 guards who all want the ball in there hands. Crabbe is an elite shooter from 3, Barton even shooting a career high by a lot from 3 isn't in the same league as Crabbe from 3.

4. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

I don't care what Allen Crabbe's shooting percentage is.

He can't do one other thing well.

He can't defend on or off the ball.
    He can't drive the lane.
    He can't box out and get a rebound.
    He can't run the floor.
    He can't take someone off the dribble.
    He can't consistently do a one dribble pull up.
    He can't close out on the shooter.
    He can't do any offensive moves...

Crabbe is hot garbage.

TBpup and WillG like this.
  5. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

Not to mention Barton is an above-average ball handler. You can't have too many ball-handlers and people that can create their own shots as well as shots for others.

6. KingSpeed

KingSpeed Veteran

actor
    A couple critical fans online and Barton is a bust? I guess Lillard is a bust too? It was a horrible trade and Barton is a very good player. Definitely better than Crabbe.

B-Roy likes this.
  7. Boob-No-More

Boob-No-More Why you no hire big man coach?

Barton is a good guy and a Cinderella story that's easy to root for. I'm glad he found success, at least temporarily, in DEN.

But, in DEN , as in POR, he finds himself the odd man out. Gary Harris is already better and their SG of the present. Jamal Murray is their SG of the future. Barton is 4 years older than Harris and 7 years older than Murray.

DEN kept him around this year, because they didn't know if the 19-year old Murray would be ready to play significant minutes. They have been gradually increasing Murray's minutes. He's averaging 22 MPG over the past month and that will only continue to increase. Next season, Harris and Murray will be getting all the minutes at SG.

The good news is Barton is on a very movable contract (a full season left at $3.5 million). So, he should be easy to move. Will he fetch a 1st round pick? Not in this draft. Maybe something like a top 20 protected pick in 2019, but even that might be a stretch.

BNM

8. riverman

riverman Writing Team

I don't think anyone calls Will a bust...he's going to have an NBA career...he is streaky but so was Mo Williams

9. WillG

WillG Well-Known Member

Barton has ability to handle the ball, and operate in traffic (a skill our team is sorely lacking - and was still/even back at the time of the trade).
    He's the anti-Aminu of ball-handling, breakdown & breakin' that our team needs a few more of, and we wish Crabbe could be.
    He can rebound, pass and even defend decently. All things that mister $18 Million cannot do.

I've long been sour on the Afflalo trade, however, I believe Neil has evened the playing field by acquiring the first round pick, in addition to Beast, in the Plumlee deal.
    So IMO, at the moment, it's a wash - but as Nurkic improves we have the potential to come out far ahead. :blazerwookie:

10. riverman

riverman Writing Team

Mason will be 27 in a couple of weeks...when Nurk is 27 Mason will be 32....I think we did good going into the next 4 years

11. KingSpeed

KingSpeed Veteran

actor
    Me too. I can't wait to watch Nurkic play again tomorrow!

rotary111 likes this.
  12. Fez Hammersticks

Fez Hammersticks スーパーバッド Zero Cool

Phone Psychic
    Bartón >>>> Crabbe

Fight me.

Orion Bailey likes this.
  13. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

Meet me in temecula.

Orion Bailey likes this.
  14. H.C.

H.C. Well-Known Member

Lots of rose colored glasses in this thread right now.
    Along with people forgetting Portland wasn't going to even pick up TO on Barton/TRob/Claver.
    So if people are going to say NO overestimated his ability to resign AA, then they must also mention that. However it wouldn't fit the narrative.
    Shit it's like I'm reading main stream news articles.

Not saying Barton isn't better than Crabbe, nor am I saying Crabbe has lived up to the contract he received in 2016.
    But to say he only does one thing well is a little bit of a stretch.
    Considering he's helped win Portland games with his help side rebounding and help side defense I'd say he does a couple things well.
    Is that worth 18million? No.
    Am I happy with his production this year? No.
    Does he do more things well than just catch and shoot? Yes.

The Comparison Barton has had his entire career is Jamal Crawfull.
    I'd say the better comparison is Marcus Thornton.
    Not in terms of production or numbers. But in terms of drive you bat shit crazy because of the mind-numbing dumbass plays he makes during the game.

Will Barton had a chance to improve in Portland.
    After Portland got 4-1'd by the Spurs, big things were expected from him by many on this board myself included. Yet the following year he showed only inconsistency.
    Still though he was/is a fan favorite. Therefore most Blazer fans who fall under that category are far from objective.
    Will Barton is a fringe role player in the NBA. He'll be lucky to receive another NBA contract.

Rhal likes this.
  15. Rhal

Rhal Well-Known Member

UPS
    You seem to think Barton is a lot better then he actually is simply because he can get off his own shot. The Majority of what you listed, which i'm assuming you listed because you think Barton can do them, Barton doesn't do on a consistent basis. Sure he can drive the lane but he is out of control when he does it and he can get off his own shot but its not a pretty one. Barton is an out of control player who when it works it makes you forget the last 3 plays that ended horribly.
    Barton is a very fun player to watch and his contract is a LOT better then Crabbes but personally I wouldn't want Barton over Crabbe because an elite shooter is not that easy to come by.

16. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

Investment Management / Financial Planner
    I do believe Durant would have been the better Draft pick.....but hindsight, so maybe not.

17. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

First, I remember distinctly will Barton's play while a member of the Blazers. I hated that we chose Allen Crabbe over him.

And you're completely wrong. Shooters are very easy to come by. It's people that can create their own shot that are hard to find.

18. Rhal

Rhal Well-Known Member

UPS
    Elite shooters are not easy to come by, okay shooters are. I remember Bartons play as a blazer and i'v watched quiet a few Nuggets games, he is the same player he was here. Out of control, makes more mistakes then he makes plays but is damn fun to watch because you never know when he is going to do basically. Barton is about as good a defender as Crabbe is as well, neither one is anything to write home about.
    You value Bartons ability to get his own shot off more then I do and I see Crabbe as an elite shooter and value that more then you do.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
  19. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

Will Barton's a much better Defender than olé Crabbe. I'll bet dollars to Donuts you didn't watch much of his play in Denver. He did much more for that team then Crabbe has done for this team. And for his numbers, Crabbe is still pretty damn streaky. So, we can agree to disagree, but regardless, I'd still rather have Will Barton on this team.

20. Rhal

Rhal Well-Known Member

UPS
    I watched a good amount of Denver's games last year and this year for the same reason, I love watching skilled big men and Jokic is very good. I wasn't watching the games to focus on Barton but I definitely saw him play and he had a great year last year and was a better defender that season this this season but Barton isn't that good of a defender. You don't have to believe I watched the games or not just look at his defensive stats vs Crabbes. Barton 1.9 DWS 108 DRTg defensive FG 45.5 last year , .5 DWS 114 DRTg and defensive FG 49.1% this year. Crabbe 1.2 DWS and 110 DRTg defensive FG 42.6% last year .4 DWS 115 DRTG Defensive FG 46.5% this year.