Hood should be the priority

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by OneSport3, May 16, 2019.

1. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

"
    Since the new moon is not in the same state at the same time globally, the beginning and ending dates of Ramadan depend on what lunar sightings are received in each respective location.
    As a result, Ramadan dates vary in different countries, but usually only by a day. This is due to the cycle of the moon."

2. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

Guess it's OK for us to have Muslims after 2023. smh. Ramadan won't be during playoff time. Until then, stay away.

[​IMG]

Dougnsalem, H.C. and dviss1 like this.
  3. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    Okay, so I did a little research and found that Ramadan moves back by 11 days each year due to the lunar cycle not matching the Gregorian calendar. That’s good information that you could have shared without the snark. Probably that explains Olajuwon’s performance during his finals runs. They didn’t occur during Ramadan.

The food fast likely has little impact on performance, but not drinking liquids during periods of high energy use, with accompanying sweat loss, no way that doesn’t impact a player’s game.

UKRAINEFAN and Hoopguru like this.
  4. illmatic99

That wasn't the only ignorant part of your post. You ASSUME Aminu and Nurk are also fasting, and are correlating Kanter's performance to the fast, while ignoring the more obvious reasons for it. The biggest trigger for me was your idea that we should avoid these guys altogether. And that's not words in your mouth-- you said it. "I said I wouldn't have three guys who were fasting for the entire month of May every year. "

B-Roy likes this.
  5. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    I assumed nothing. I watched the video that dviss1 posted. Both Nurk and Chief said they observe Ramadan.

My point that having three guys who are main rotation players all fasting at the same time isn’t viable for an NBA franchise, I stand by that unless you can provide medical support that lack of fluids doesn’t affect the human body.

6. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    Ramadan was in February in 1994 and 1995, so it wasn’t a factor in the playoffs for Olajuwon.

Dougnsalem and dviss1 like this.
  7. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

good to know, and it certainly would indicate that Hakeem's performance 25 years ago isn't relevant to what's happening now

Dougnsalem and dviss1 like this.
  8. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

Excellent post bro. Really.

Dougnsalem likes this.
  9. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

I just learned something new about Ramadan. :cheers:

TorturedBlazerFan and e_blazer like this.
  10. wizenheimer

maybe it was some in-artful language, but I sure don't see that it isn't a relevant discussion. Being concerned about the idea of having 3 rotation players, including two starters, fasting during the playoffs, including going without hydration isn't anti-religion IMO. I mean, they could be 7th Day Adventists and refuse to play on Saturdays. That' would be an issue to consider as well

11. illmatic99

Don't really wanna go down this path already to derail this thread further, but I'll admit my post was probably harsh.

While they might be at a disadvantage physically, each and every person in that video mentioned how much stronger they are mentally as a result of the fast.

dviss1 likes this.
  12. wizenheimer

just as an ancillary observation, I think somebody should clearly demonstrate and establish their racism or intolerance before being accused of those transgressions. Too often the indictment and conviction happen with very little evidence

13. wizenheimer

maybe the nutrition aspect can be overcome; but for basketball, I think the lack of hydration is a killer. You just can't be optimal when you're dehydrated.

e_blazer likes this.
  14. illmatic99

Regardless, I'll stick to my guns on this one that this whole thing is overblown. And it definitely should not matter in our player personnel decisions.

Why does no one ever bring up Kareem or Shaq when this discussion comes up? It's always just Hakeem.

TorturedBlazerFan and dviss1 like this.
  15. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

This was my fault. Truly. I suggested they may be and posted this:

http://www.sportstwo.com/posts/4744105/

16. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

[​IMG]

TorturedBlazerFan likes this.
  17. Charcoal Filtered

Charcoal Filtered Writing Team

Way too big of a deal is being made of fasting. Try it sometime. It is not that bad.

18. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    I’ve fasted, but not without liquids. I don’t see that going without food for a half a day is anything that’s going to seriously impact sports performance. Going without liquid intake while losing buckets of sweat? Different story.

19. wizenheimer

I'm really not trying to be combative yuyuza, but I'm not sure what 'guns' it is you're sticking too...?

today, daylight lasts 15 hours. Do you really believe somebody expressing concern about 3 rotation players, including 2 starters, going without food and water for 15 hours a day during the playoffs is an 'overblown' concern?

can we at least agree that it wasn't some form of religious intolerance, or at least not established by the post you objected to?

it really might be helpful to have some data on this but it looks like an inconclusive landscape:

"Design
    Two Algerian professional soccer teams (55 men) were studied. Field tests of physical and soccer performance were collected before, at the end and 2 weeks after Ramadan in 2004. Players were queried on sleeping habits and personal perception of training and match performance.

Setting
    Field setting at club training ground.

Main outcome measures
    Performance on fitness and skill tests.

Results
    Performance declined significantly (p<0.05) for speed, agility, dribbling speed and endurance, and most stayed low after the conclusion of Ramadan. Nearly 70% of the players thought that their training and performance were adversely affected during the fast."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2465333/

another:

"The absence of fluid intake in the day
    may have a greater impact on performance than the absence of food, especially
    when training and competition take place in thermally stressful environments.
    Even mild dehydration may have adverse effects on a number of physiological and
    cognitive functions that are important components of performance. Collectively,
    these changes may cause perturbations that alter the physiological responses to
    exercise, which may have detrimental effects on sports performance.
    It is well established that hypohydration can reduce physical performance. A
    recent review of the literature concluded that, in warm-to-hot weather, dehydration
    by 2% or more of BM will impair the performance of aerobic exercise, and may
    also degrade mental/cognitive function. In addition, mild-to-moderate levels of
    hypohydration produce small but significant decrements in high-intensity exercise "

https://www.researchgate.net/public...g_on_Sports_Performance_and_Training_A_Review

that one's an insanely long read that made my eyes glaze over about 13% thru it

main thing is that logically, we just about have to assume it limits performance. That at least makes it worthy of discussion and consideration

the other side of it may be that you just have to assign priorities, individually and as an organization. And perhaps, at a certain point, treating people right trumps winning a damn basketball game

20. Charcoal Filtered

Charcoal Filtered Writing Team