Hood tears achilles

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by SheedSoNasty, Dec 6, 2019.

1. riverman

riverman Writing Team

It's not the years, it's the miles....a 5 year old car with about 600 miles on the engine isn't like a 5 year old car with 200K miles

RickyJoe likes this.
  2. bodyman5000 and 1

bodyman5000 and 1 Lions, Tigers, Me, Bears

It sucks to even read this forum. Guy has a sore achilles on a team going nowhere and he plays and there are people defending the team for letting him play. The NFL should get rid of the concussion rules they have then. It is the player's RESPONSIBILITY to stay healthy is what Blazer fans are saying in this thread.

Maybe a car analogy will help...

You have a Corvette (Rodney isn't a Lambo of Ferrari in this) and you're just out for a Sunday drive and your oil pressure gauge starts jumping around erratically. You're the driver (team medical staff) and the car seems fine so you say F it and take it to the dragstrip and race it all day.

Then when it blows up you're surprised and say "eh, it could have happened any time. There was no need to make sure the car was 100 percent before we raced it"

I REALLY needed to race it and it was really expensive so it needed to get out there and show it was worth it.

This is a guy who seems to be a hard worker and gutsy player and you're gonna play him for nothing.

You do not fuck with an achilles. You don't have to be a doctor to know that.

BBert, tlongII, UKRAINEFAN and 6 others like this.
  3. Propagandist

Propagandist Well-Known Member

Exactly.

Dougnsalem and bodyman5000 and 1 like this.
  4. CupWizier

CupWizier Well-Known Member

retired
    Sorry bad analogy as my dad owned race cars as well as his own automotive shop for years so I have a lot of experience being in and around him at the shop and track. Engines blow for a lot of reasons and as long as it was thoroughly checked out and passed all inspections no reason not to send it out to the track. It happens all the time at the race track. Now without being around the shop or the race track and not an experienced engine builder can you tell me why the engine blew? The correct answer would be no. The only info we have is that the engine was completely checked out and passed inspection and the engine blew. No one to blame other than a racing incident.

Dougnsalem likes this.
  5. Dougnsalem

Dougnsalem not barf

Honestly, I thought it was a great anology. I've raced myself for many years. I'd even take it a step further- more times that not, you blow your engine after your best pass. Seen it SO many times. It could be applied to Nurk, Collins, Hood.... These guys went down when (IMHO), they were playing their best. I'm not out for an arguement about it. I just see what he's saying.... Yeah, I thought that was a cool reply from him.

Hobbesarable likes this.
  6. CupWizier

CupWizier Well-Known Member

retired
    Problem with his analogy is that the owner never had it properly checked out and just said fuck it, i'm going to run it anyway. I have no doudt Hood was thoroughly checked out and released to play.

VanillaGorilla likes this.
  7. Propagandist

Now, I know you're just being obstinate. Rodney Hood showed symptoms, ie pain and discomfort, so much so that it had lead to him coming out of a previous game. It would therefore be actually impossible for him to have a clean bill of health or be thoroughly check out or whatever. You HAVE TO admit that that pain and the resulting injury are connected. There are no two ways about that. So it HAS TO FOLLOW that A MISTAKE WAS MADE. Sorry to shout, but to say there is no correlation is actually insane. And if you admit correlation then you have to admit either a mistake was made or the protocol is dumb. I mean, how is this even a debate?

8. hoopsjock

hoopsjock Well-Known Member

Business Owner
    At the very least with both the Durant and Hood situations it should lead into more research about possible correlations between having a sore achilles and it tearing easier. To not question that correlation or the team's decision to let him play would be a huge mistake.

9. Propagandist

Yeah, I'm not meaning like "fuck the medical staff" but ffs. This is a likely life altering for Rodney. There has to be more care taken with players, I think. They've done a good job with concussion protocol stuff, now onto tricky things like the Achilles...

10. hoopsjock

Business Owner
    Before I had my Achilles surgery my doctor told me that I was at a higher risk for it rupturing. I got extremely lucky it didn't but it was pretty stupid to continue to play basketball for several years after that diagnosis. There were times that it hurt really bad like it was telling me don't do this right now but I didn't listen.

11. Strenuus

Strenuus Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

Id trade CJ for a couple veterans.

Theres teams that think hes actually a diffrence maker. Lets fool them.

12. blazerboy30

blazerboy30 Well-Known Member

How many times have players reported pain to the team, been checked out, and played without further injury?

You have no idea and have no insight into their protocol.

You're acting like this is the first time a player has played after experiencing pain and it's so obvious that they shouldn't play.

This is the opposite of survivorship bias in data analysis.

VanillaGorilla likes this.
  13. Propagandist

Not true. I'm not talking about ankle sprains and swollen knees, I'm talking about the Achilles: weak point, low blood supply, catastrophic if ruptured, etc. It's different. Like when Dame played on his ankle and resprained it or Whiteside did the same this season, no one says this. It's because of the seriousness of the situation. Read @hoopsjock above...what his doctor told him. I've had some bad ankle injured and never got a diagnosis like that.

14. blazerboy30

And how often do NBA players have sore Achilles?

15. Propagandist

Well, I can never once remember "Sore Achilles" being referenced about a Trail Blazer until Rodney Hood. Not one single time. But I don't know. Have you ever heard that before?

16. VanillaGorilla

VanillaGorilla Well-Known Member

Found this with a quick Google. There are other examples on there from the last few years, just not Blazers players. I'm not trying to spend a lot of time looking for more but yes, a sore Achilles is definitely a thing.

17. blazerboy30

Why do you think we fans would hear about every soreness or pain any player is experiencing?

18. Propagandist

Lol. Cup is that you?!?

BonesJones likes this.
  19. hoopsjock

Business Owner
    I don't want to put words into @Propagandist's mouth, but I think what he's trying to say is that when someone has Achilles pain it should be a red flag for something potentially serious going on and should be treated as such. Even if Hood said he felt 100% normal the next day they still should've done more tests to determine why it was hurting in the first place. Now, I wasn't there so I'm not sure what exactly they did. Maybe they did a bunch of tests that we're not aware of but it seems like from what everyone is saying is that Hood said he was fine and they didn't really test it further (again I could be wrong on this).

Unless you fall and land on your foot from a high distance or step in a hole or something like that there is usually something going on that is weakening the Achilles before it tears/ruptures. This could be something noticeable like bone spurs, tendinitis, tendinosis, inflammation, or even calf issues. Sometimes something as simple as wearing a different pair of shoes can cause Achilles soreness. Having any of these things doesn't mean the Achilles will for sure rupture but I think it's important to recognize when the Achilles is having issues to find out why.

20. RipCityDSCPL

RipCityDSCPL Could be worse, at least it's not Lonzo.