Hood: This is a Place I Want to Stay

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by e_blazer, Apr 18, 2019.

1. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

But we only have one MLE right? So its either to Curry, to one of the names on the list or to Kanter (if they accept) correct?

I stand by my premise. Id rather spend it on Curry than anyone on that list. Mainly because Curry now knows the system and is a proven fit.

The thing is, each player is completely different and provides the team with something we need. What is needed more is probably semantics, as all three also have holes in their game.
    However with how the NBA is geared, I still find Curry the most valuable to this team.

dviss1 likes this.
  2. hoopsjock

hoopsjock Well-Known Member

Business Owner
    Off the top of my head...

Danny Green is a free agent. I'd love him for the Tax-MLE but is going to command more than that most likely. Same with Bogdanovic.

Brogdon is an RFA, no chance.

The rest are either not free agents or guys I would want Curry more than unless I'm missing someone.

3. blue9

blue9 Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's precisely my point.

4. blue9

blue9 Well-Known Member

Yeah, Green was the name that immediately jumped out at me. Cool to know he's a FA. Would most definitely rather pay him than Curry. From my understanding there are A TON of FAs this summer, so it will be interesting to see where the bargains are...

HailBlazers likes this.
  5. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

And my point is I think Id rather spend it on Curry, because I think we can replace the others easier. Hood is nice. But Meyers and Skal, might just be a enough of a stop gap next year until Nurk comes back. I cant beleive I just typed that though.

dviss1 likes this.
  6. tlongII

tlongII Legendary Poster

Systems Analyst
    Kanter has to be the #1 priority. We’ll be in danger of missing the playoffs next year without him.

HailBlazers likes this.
  7. blue9

blue9 Well-Known Member

That's fair. In a previous post I outlined the benefits of all three. Personally I think Kanter makes the team a hell of a lot better than Curry does. And I like the well-roundedness of Rod's game more than Curry's mono-skill.

BBert and Orion Bailey like this.
  8. swish3

swish3 Well-Known Member

With a 3P% of 45, Meyers is among the top 4 in the NBA, ahead of Steph, but not on this list because of the low numbers. Both Seth and Meyers are excellent swish3 % shooters who can each be relied on for 9-12 swish3 points per game if the Blazer coaches mandate enough (at least 6 attempts/game) by each. Both are strong in the Playoffs. Meyers set the NBA record of 10 of 13 in the Playoffs! With Meyers alternating with Enes and Seth with CJ, Blazer scoring can scale up to 15 or even 20+ swish3s in a game.

Now in the Playoffs is the time to optimize Blazer scoring, particularly bench contributions, by using game plans that favor assist passes to Meyers and Seth on the arc for contributions that will allow being superior to even the teams like the Warriors that may score more than 20 swish3s per game. Let's see use of both of our leading swish3 shooters that include floor patterns that allow timed passes for potent swish3 scoring that promises to lead to the 16 wins in the Playoffs that equal the Championship.

9. Wizard Mentor

Wizard Mentor Wizard Mentor

Master of Xen Foro
    I've been agreeing with you about Curry. Quick question, though. Do you think one of the rookies will crack the rotation next year?

Orion Bailey likes this.
  10. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

And dammit. I keep forgetting about simons.

I absolutely think he cracks the rotation. I think he becomes our back up pg by all star break.

Wizard Mentor likes this.
  11. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

Not if Nurk comes back in time.

12. blue9

blue9 Well-Known Member

Not sure - depends on what Neil does. But I would rather throw Simons in the fire than give all our money to Curry. I'm not worried about it hurting his growth. He'll have ups and downs. But Curry has only really contributed to the last 1/3rd of the season, so even if Simons plays crappy in 2/3rds of the games that will equal what Curry's given us this season. And while I don't expect him to match Curry's shooting I think, if given consistent minutes all season, by the end of the season he will provide more than what Curry is capable of.

Wizard Mentor, BBert and Orion Bailey like this.
  13. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

I agree with this. Someone bonk me on the head to remind me of Simons when I say Curry should be the one we covet the most.

14. BBert

BBert Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Selfless Public Servant
    I can live with that.

Besides, I don't think it's up to us (the Blazers).

Based on his performance and clutch shooting at the end of the season, I think he's going to be offered more than the Blazers have to spend (barring a huge salary dump).

Orion Bailey likes this.
  15. hoopsjock

hoopsjock Well-Known Member

Business Owner
    It's also important to note that we could still try and sign Hood (we could offer up to around $4.16 million) and that we could also still sign guys to vet minimum contracts. If we sign Curry to the Tax-MLE it does officially close the door on Kanter (if he'd even consider signing for that amount, who knows) but there could be some vet centers like a RoLo or Gortat that might not get much more than a minimum contract anyway.

It's not out of the realm of possibility to keep Curry and Hood while switching out Kanter for RoLo or keeping Kanter and Hood while switching out Curry for a "Stauskas" level minimum player. I would be fine with either of those routes.

The Tax-MLE is our only way to keep Curry or Kanter, but it is not our only way to add to the roster. I know you know that, it's just when you say things like giving all our money to Curry it's not telling the complete story.

16. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

Quality post.:smiley-klap2:

HailBlazers likes this.
  17. blue9

blue9 Well-Known Member

I actually didn't - thanks! Still doesn't change my opinion of Kanter > Curry, but thanks all the same. And it all may very well be moot with neither of them accepting tax-MLE...

hoopsjock likes this.
  18. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

This is just untrue.

He's just as good a ballhandler as Dame.

He's a good passer when used correctly.

He's a low-key great defender.

He's the 3rd best on the team at creating his own shot.

Put some RESPECK on his name.

HailBlazers likes this.
  19. BBert

BBert Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Selfless Public Servant
    If Simons takes over for Curry, and Zach/Meyers/Skal take over for Kanter, the team might get off to a rocky start, even a rocky mid season, but after the all star break that experience is going to pay dividends. That's also when Nurk will likely be back to form.

The year the Blazers won the championship, IIRC Walton missed some games during the season, the Blazers had a young team, and the Blazers didn't have that good of a record mid season. Then Walton came back and the Blazers caught fire for the playoff push, and that carried over through the playoffs.

Sound familiar?

Red Hot and Rollin' Baby!!

Orion Bailey likes this.
  20. SlyPokerCat

SlyPokerCat cats rool dogs drool

We should completely resign Kanter. Our center spot next year is shit until Nurkic recovers (crossing my fingers it's back to what he was). Kanter is a huge solution and would be a starter for over half the year for us. He should be priority #1.

Meyers and Skal are worse than Kanter. I don't see them having a chance in replacing Kanter's production for this team.

Curry is fine, but I think with time Simons could replace what he brought to us. Probably even by the end of the year.

BBert, HailBlazers and tlongII like this.