HoopsHype Blazers Season Preview

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by THE HCP, Aug 19, 2017.

1. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

So basically I think we are both saying that we can get away with one of the two positions (this year) with who we have, but not both....
    I think Collins will be our PF of the future. I think Swanigan will provide offense and rebounding off the bench at both C/PF depending on the opposition. The question for me is if Harkless the SF of the future? We will know by the end the year....and I think he needs to improve for that to happen. He s only 24, it could happen. (assuming he is working hard in the of season)

2. Minstrel

Minstrel Top Of The Pops Global Moderator

User Interface Designer
    Well, I think you may be lower on Harkless than I am. He's not a star, but he's a good player. The chances of upgrading on him are low--you're not going to have a star at every position. He's currently good and I think he still has a little upside. He's a perfect long-term complementary player. I see him as a Nic Batum without the passing ability (and I like Batum a lot).

SIeepwalker likes this.
  3. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

And what are you predicting?

4. Boob-No-More

Boob-No-More Why you no hire big man coach?

If only we had a big man coach..

Collins = 19-years old
    Swanigan = 20-years old
    Vonleh = 21-years old
    Nurkic = 22-years old
    Leonard = 25-years old

That's a HUGE part of this organization's present and future. The organization has already invested a lot in these young men, and that investment will balloon as they come off their rookie contracts. It makes zero sense to me that we don't have the absolute best big man coach money can buy. Hell, if I owned the team, we'd have two dedicated big men coaches on the payroll, one for offense and one for defense, and they would have been hired the day after the draft.

BNM

Eastoff, dviss1, BBert and 3 others like this.
  5. THE HCP

THE HCP NorthEastPortland'sFinest

The knowledge is strong with this one! #RookLove

theprunetang likes this.
  6. THE HCP

If I knew it wouldn't go to your head...... I'd LIKE this post.

7. Boob-No-More

But, just maybe, we could have a small amount of tolerance for those predicting we will finish higher than 4th in a 5 team division. That's not exactly the same thing as global domination.

Global domination will require dragons. I know it will. I saw it on TV.

BNM

dviss1 and Minstrel like this.
  8. THE HCP

Been saying this for years man. When Jinx and these guys predict 65 wins every season and then are absolutely killing our guys when we win 40 it blows my mind. I'm not being negative or psseimistic, I'm being real. To expect this roster with this talent level to finish first in our division is delusional. You are setting yourself up for failure and disappointment.

GrandJury and WillG like this.
  9. THE HCP

I am really looking forward to watching him for a full season healthy. I really think we will miss AC's ability to stretch the floor for our guards and create space. I'm worried about our bench man.

10. THE HCP

Agreed those three team got much better and we didn't really in my opinion. That's why I think 4th is about right. That's what adding 2 superstars and an all star will do.

11. Boob-No-More

I said it in another post, but I don't think Neil is done, yet. He's obviously keeping all his options open. He's holding onto Andrew Nicholson as long as he can and has extended Patty Baseball's guaranteed contract date twice, just in case either can be used to match salaries in a trade.

And, we have that big, juicy $12.9 million TPE from the Crabbe trade. That can easily be used to replace Crabbe's production with a guy like Courtney Lee or Jared Dudley. Both of those guys would replace Crabbe's shooting and give us much more - like defense.

BNM

Eastoff, Orion Bailey and BonesJones like this.
  12. THE HCP

I think during all the Nurk fever, one thing got overlooked. How Noah played. I am not sure what his averaged pre Nurk vs with him, but just by what I saw out there I was impressed. Nurk demanded just enough attention that it left Vonleh open or at least in better position to snatch some rebounds and get easier shots. Looking forward to Noah growing more this season playing along the big man. I think some people forget how young he is. I do know he's one of the hardest working guys on the squad.

13. BonesJones

The first part makes sense, and 60 wins is delusional, but how is winning our division delusional? Utah finished ahead of us and lost Hayward&Hill while Nurkic is a more impactful addition for us than George is for OKC. MIN will be average on both sides of the ball, and has no depth. Denver seed Millsap who's declining and already struggling offensively, and they still don't have a competent PG.

14. BonesJones

Nurks impact is why I feel like you and others see overlooking our team. Dude is such a difference maker, and will only be better.

Orion Bailey likes this.
  15. Boob-No-More

Well, we played 75% of last season without Nurk. So, having him for a full year is a huge upgrade. The nice thing is we already know Nurk is a GREAT fit with the rest of this roster.

On paper, OKC and MIN got better, but the games aren't played on paper. It will take a while for their rosters to adjust to the changes and adding more great players doesn't always lead to a better result (see LAL adding Dwight Howard and Steve Nash, or NOP adding DeMarcus Cousins).

Cousin's (so far) is a shining example of why adding more talent doesn't always add more wins. Yeah, small sample size, but NOP was actually worse after the Cousins trade than before. Best case, they will eventually figure it out. Worst case, they won't and will have a shit ton of money locked up in a team that can't make the playoffs.

It is yet to be seen how Paul George will mesh with Russell Westbrook and how Jimmy Butler fits in with the young kids in MIN. The potential is there, but there are no guarantees, That's why they play the games and that's what makes it exciting.

BNM

dviss1 and Orion Bailey like this.
  16. Blazinaway

Blazinaway Well-Known Member

as long as Nurk stays healthy and can play like he did late last yr I am solidly, not wildly optimistic. I think we can be a dangerous team and certainly fun to watch, also would like to see Vonleh make a move up or I think Caleb could replace him as the season progresses. Zach is a wild card, probably should not expect much as he adjusts to the NBA, but I am thinking he just might be able to show us something before the season ends and he gains experience at this level. Should be a fun season, my main hope is that Nurk can stay healthy!

17. Boob-No-More

Yep, he made such a tremendous impact on both sides of the ball. Post trade, our scoring went up by 2 ppg and our opponents's scoring went down by 5.1 ppg. That 7.1 improvement in scoring margin is huge. Our average margin went from -2.8 to +4.3 and we went from a team on pace to win 34 games to a team playing at a 57-win pace.

Yeah, small sample size, strength of schedule, blah, blah, blah...

Still, I've been following the NBA since 1968 and that's one of the biggest late season turnarounds I have ever seen - and it was because of adding one 22-year old, out of shape, Bosnian Beast. I REALLY look forward to seeing a full season of this team with Jusuf Nurkic. I don't know that 57 wins is practical, given how tough the West and the NW, in particular, are going to be, but I would not be stunned if we won 50+ games.

BNM

dviss1, BonesJones and e_blazer like this.
  18. Boob-No-More

Noah absolutely played better after the Nurk trade. After the all star break he scored in double figures 8 times and had 6 games with at least 11 rebounds.

'That's the thing with Nurk, his addition made things so much easier for EVERYONE. The entire team shot so much better from 3-point range. Plumlee was a great passer out of the high post, but Nurk sets bigger, better screens and demands the defensive attention Plumlee did not.

Look at these pre and post all star 3-point percentages:

Aminu:
    Pre All Star Game - 3FG% = .307
    Post All Star Game - 3FG% = .373

Harkless:
    Pre All Star Game - 3FG% = .346
    Post All Star Game - 3FG% = .371

Lillard:
    Pre All Star Game - 3FG% = .347
    Post All Star Game - 3FG% = .413

McCollum:
    Pre All Star Game - 3FG% = .411
    Post All Star Game - 3FG% = .452

Napier:
    Pre All Star Game - 3FG% = .339
    Post All Star Game - 3FG% = .417

We went from an average 3-point shooting team to an elite one.

We were also a top 10 defensive team with Nurk.

Yeah, I know the Debbie downers will want to play the small sample size, weak schedule excuse cards, but I'll counter that that was also with an out of shape Nurk who was getting used to a new system and new teammates. Ultimately, there is no denying Jusuf Nurkic makes this team significantly better at both ends of the court. I can't wait to see a full season of that.

BNM

dviss1, THE HCP and e_blazer like this.
  19. lawai'a

lawai'a Well-Known Member

it was encouraging to see that he continued to play at that higher level even after Josef went down with his injury

20. Boob-No-More

His confidence increased playing next to Nurk, and that seemed to carry forward.

BNM

Orion Bailey and lawai'a like this.