Hopefully some of y'all can quit dogging Terry MF Stotts now

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by RonBrewer, May 12, 2019.

1. OneSport3

OneSport3 The Knowledge Hoarder

Yeah, the same coach that dared Steph Curry to beat him with wide open 3's in Game 1.

2. hoopsjock

hoopsjock Well-Known Member

Business Owner
    LMAO

I wish I could say this was a joke, but sadly it's not.

BonesJones likes this.
  3. bodyman5000 and 1

bodyman5000 and 1 Lions, Tigers, Me, Bears

The Royal anyone....

4. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

LOL...Curry plays with Green, Durant, Iggy, & Livingston, all of whom are much better passers than any ball-handlers Portland has. Of course Curry is going to move after giving it up because he has teammates capable of finding him and making the pass. Dame doesn't have that luxury, and he hasn't had it since Batum. Portland runs almost no off-ball screens for Dame, no weak-side action, but the Warriors run them all the time for Curry

the comparison fails in the details

5. wizenheimer

shit!...for a minute there I thought my wife was posting

Hoopguru, TBpup and Tince like this.
  6. OneSport3

If you actually read the post, I said it was a function of both Dame and coaching. The Warriors run off ball screens for Curry.

7. wizenheimer

I did read you post. I'm saying just running off ball screens isn't enough. A team needs consistently good passers to deliver the ball in those small windows and Portland has none

I would agree that Portland off-ball action is remedial, at best

8. oldmangrouch

oldmangrouch persona non grata

Unreal. Down 3-0, facing another season ending sweep, and all some people can think of is protecting Stotts.

9. bodyman5000 and 1

bodyman5000 and 1 Lions, Tigers, Me, Bears

It isn't losing that sucks. It's like watching someone back their Uhaul rental into their house over and over and then taking out the mailbox and a parked car on the way out.

It is a form of mental abuse that the fans have to endure.

Hoopguru and oldmangrouch like this.
  10. OneSport3

Draymond Green was pushing the ball and running the break off MADE baskets! How many times as the coach do you need to see that happening before you tell someone to pick him up. Nobody was picking him up or putting any pressure on him.

Not only was Kerr outcoaching Stotts, Draymond was outcoaching Stotts.

11. Tince

Tince Well-Known Member

By the same logic we could say:

We missed 13 FTs tonight, at what point is Stotts going to tell the players to "MAKE YOUR FREE THROWS!"

12. OneSport3

Not really. Picking up your man is a strategy that can easily be addressed. Making your free throws is an ability that is independent of the coach.

BonesJones and hoopsjock like this.
  13. Tince

Tince Well-Known Member

If you want to be technical, picking up someone or slowing them down isn't a strategy, it is a physical act (like making a FT).

Now, if Stotts said, "Our game plan is to allow Green to go coast-to-coast." that would be a strategy. I have no proof either way to say what the game plan was. It's possible that was the game plan, it's also possible the players didn't execute. If there is audio that would shed some light, or even an interview from the coaches or players, I would be open to hearing it.

14. OneSport3

Put it this way, if Stotts told you yourself to pick up Draymond, you could easily do that. That's a strategic move. He would be putting you in the position to execute a plan. Now, you may not have the ability to stop him but you were easily able to commit to the strategic decision of picking him up.

On the other hand, if he told you to make free throws and you don't have the ability/skill to, he could tell you anything and you would still not make the free throws. That's an ability/skill on the player that is independent of the coach.

hoopsjock and BonesJones like this.
  15. LayneStaley

LayneStaley Well-Known Member

Badass
    I’m not a Terry fan but if anyone thinks he’s going anywhere after a WCF appearance they are high. I honestly believe Neil, Terry, and Dame are all tied together. Ride or Die, that’s what’s gonna be here(at least until new ownership takes over).

Tince likes this.
  16. Tince

Tince Well-Known Member

You are still intermixing skill and strategy, but that's ok.

The first issue is assuming that picking up Green full court is a good idea. I'd like to see what percentage of the time this season Green had a PF or C checking him 75ft; I'm guessing it's VERY low because I don't think the risk/reward would be in favor of the defensive team. The outcomes would be interesting if they exist.

Second, we are often crossed match with GS. When we're on offense, let's say Green is defending Aminu. Aminu might be in the corner why Green is roaming free because he doesn't respect Aminu's ability to hit a shot. Now, the rebound goes to the weakside of Aminu, he's going to be in a horrible position to pickup Green at all, let alone at 75ft.

Third, you'll typically have someone like Dame to attempt to stop anyone trying to get out in transition early like Green was doing. Problem there is that if Dame leaves Curry, we all know the outcome. Not to mention the people on here would be questioning why the strategy is to Curry is open.

I find it hard to believe that any coach is telling all five players to not pick the ball up when someone is pushing it. Again, if there is audio or some proof that allowing Draymond to go coast-to-coast was what the coaching staff wanted, I would be highly concerned. I doubt that is the case and instead we're mistaking poor execution with poor strategy.

Minstrel likes this.
  17. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

I would like to point out that toronto went to the ecf and then fired their coach thinking a new coach would get them to the promised land. Sure looks like they are feeling the “grass is greener effects”.

I dunno man. Only four coaches left and all the experts say we are the team with far less talent than the others. Yet we are here.

Isnt that in part due to coaching?

Dame doesnt do EVERYTHING for the staff. Come on now....

If were gonna fire him we need a clear upgrade Nd i don't know of anyone available aho is a clear upgrade. All the options i see are chance taking like toronto and it didn't work.

Hoopguru likes this.
  18. Hoopguru

Hoopguru Well-Known Member

Would Mark Few be able to take Portland to a championship? I like him as a coach.

Just curious, who available would you think could take us to a championship?

19. TorturedBlazerFan

TorturedBlazerFan Well-Known Member

Baby Daddy
    I would like Mark Few, he's the guy I'd go after.
    Ettore Messina, Ime Udoka, or Becky Hammon would also be good, SAS has a good freaking coaching staff!
    Jay Wright?
    Wes Unseld Jr

Lionel Hollins did good things with a Memphis team that isn't as talented as the Blazers are.

20. calvin natt

calvin natt Confeve

Unreal. In the Western Conference Finals vs an all time team and dynasty, without their second best player and his backup with one arm and all people can think of is how shitty our coaching is